Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 411749 times)

Offline viking

• Senior Survivalist
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2012, 04:01:53 AM »
Last week I used my wagner power dome to jump start the mower at the church and fill up a flat tire.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »
My wife needed some antacids and did not have any in her purse. I brought my backpack so it was a quick jaunt out to the car to get some.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:24 AM »
I had to stay overnight at work, and I don't have an extra bra in my GHB. So I sprayed my sweaty one with mouthwash, hung it on the back of a door, and by morning it was fresh and clean smelling. Passed the smell test of a trusty co-worker anyway  :) I don't think that would work for too many days in a row, but its a trick good for one night anyway!

Online Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
I was outside puttering / cleaning / re-organizing my old cars when I noticed a VW Jetta rolling down the hill kind of quite.  I guess they were trying to bump start the car without any luck. 

The owner came up and asked if I had any jumper cables to jump his car.

Well there was about 3 choices - one to help them push their car backup a steep hill (any hill your pushing a car is steep) - try the jumper cables - or dig out my 2amp car battery charger.

Their battery was too dead for jumper cables to work after trying for 5 mins.
We decided to not try and push the car up the hill.

I dug out 4 long power cables and my never used battery charger. Because the battery was quite dead I figured  a good hour on 2amp charge cycle.  With the driver in the car I selected jump start on the battery charger and their car fired up on the first try.

That reminds me - I need to put in an extra Phillips head screwdriver in my tool kit.  And re-oil my spare pocket knife in the tool bag.  It's always good to check out the preps in the car.

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2012, 08:31:26 AM »
Everyone who sees my neck knife makes fun of it. They always say "Who the hell are you going to stab with THAT!" if they see it.

However, the same people who make fun of me all the time for it end up benefiting from its existence pretty fast.

Case in point — yesterday, a friend and I rented these "Hydro Cycles" in this state park lake. They are pontoon boats with a bicycle frame on them, and you pedal to turn a propeller shaft.

Well, after jumping in for fun and to clear seaweed from the propellers a couple of times (they are very stable boats) — my friend ran across some old fishing line and got it so tangled up in the propeller that she could not even crank the pedals on the boat anymore.

I jumped in behind her to see what happened and when I realized it was fishing line I thought we were screwed — she said "MAN, if we only had a knife" at which point "OH YEAH!!!" I said as I felt my chest and realized I still had my knife (I wear it so much that I actually forget I have it sometimes).

So after about 20 minutes of cutting, pulling, cutting some more I was able to get the fishing line completely free from the propeller shaft and we were able to get back to the rental dock instead of having to be "towed" back and have them get all jacked because we got line tangled in the boat's propeller.

Just another funny example of how my neck knife saved the day after people (including this friend) have made fun of me for wearing it.

Offline Warpalli

• Prepper
  • Don't Taze Me Bro!!!
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
I got to use my preps the other week, however under sad circumstances,  My little sister (22) is bi-polar and a cutter,  she had a bad weekend, and decided to put a couple of semi-deep slashes in her arm, by the time i saw it, it looked like it was starting to get infected,  luckily i had my first aid kit in my bug out bag, cleaned her wounds out, added some triple anti-biotic, and butterfly bandaged a couple of the deeper ones together.  Looks A LOT better this week.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
I got to use my preps the other week, however under sad circumstances,  My little sister (22) is bi-polar and a cutter,  she had a bad weekend, and decided to put a couple of semi-deep slashes in her arm, by the time i saw it, it looked like it was starting to get infected,  luckily i had my first aid kit in my bug out bag, cleaned her wounds out, added some triple anti-biotic, and butterfly bandaged a couple of the deeper ones together.  Looks A LOT better this week.

Warpalli - as a Mom and Grandma I was saddened to read your comments.  I'm glad you were able to help but it's a heckofa way to use your preps.  I have a dear friend who is bipolar also so I understand. Sending some Mama blessings your way. TBM 

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »

Sorry to hear of the circumstances, but at least you were there to help, and had the material you needed. Its a sad reality that all the prepping we do to help others, will most likely be used on our own loved ones.

Offline Warpalli

• Prepper
  • Don't Taze Me Bro!!!
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
Warpalli - as a Mom and Grandma I was saddened to read your comments.  I'm glad you were able to help but it's a heckofa way to use your preps.  I have a dear friend who is bipolar also so I understand. Sending some Mama blessings your way. TBM 

Sorry to hear of the circumstances, but at least you were there to help, and had the material you needed. Its a sad reality that all the prepping we do to help others, will most likely be used on our own loved ones.

Thx TwoBluesMama for the blessings,  It's sad circumstances, but i am glad that i had all the supplies to clean it up and dress it, Her going to the hospital they probably would have done the same thing, just added a bill to it, and possibly detained her as a medical 500,  which probably wouldn't have helped her mind set.  It is sad that most of our preps we will probably use on our loved ones, but in my mind, my loved ones couldnt be better people to use em' on :-)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
Actually Warpalli in my opinion you have it right. We plan our preps around first helping loved ones (daughter, SIL, grandbabies) and then around helping others such as our neighbors (who have 4 little ones) and close friends (who have 3 little ones) and extended family; then people at church; and outward.  Will I have enough preps to help everyone -  probably not but that doesn't stop me from planning, gathering and mostly being grateful that I have my eyes open and a heart to try.

And to put this topic a little more back on track (I hate it when I hijack threads!) as far as using "preps" I use all kinds of things on a daily basis so I don't thing of them as preps - just as going to a particular pantry or closet and getting what I need.  BUT I loved it the other day when my daughter pulled out a huge first aid kit to get a band aid for the little one and I said, "Wow nice kit."  She laughed and said, "You and daddy bought it for me"!

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
Changed into some dry clothes! My wife and I were soaked on an amusement park ride. We became  much more wet than we were expecting, and just before dark. We were able to change into the extra clothes we had in the car and keep enjoying the evening warm and dry. Yay!

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »
However, the same people who make fun of me all the time for it end up benefiting from its existence pretty fast.

Same thing happens to me all the time! My buddies always make fun of my 3" folding Kershaw and then get bashful and say "hey uhh Snickers can you help me open this with your knife?" just kidding, my friends don't actually call me Snickers. ;)

My story: today I had some car problems. The most important thing I had was a good head on my shoulders. The next most important things were my owners manual and my small tool kit. Using the owner's manual I was able to diagnose the problem, with the tool kit I was able to make a quick patch until I can fix the underlying problem. And to think, if I hadn't had a screwdriver I might have needed to be towed!

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2012, 06:05:55 AM »
Well, the small shit hit the little fan yesterday.

I came home Friday to a broken AC. Thankfully, it is not all that hot in Houston this week, but humid as hell. I roll out the portable AC and crank it up then call the AC guys. They quote $90 for after hours service. I say, well, I have the portable AC unit running so you can come tomorrow.

My wife came home and was on the phone with my sister in law complaining about the AC issue. I reminded her that the portable unit was running in the bedroom so we could sleep. I think she recognized how fortunate it was that I am prepared.

Today, I am off to my CCL class. It is the final step for me!

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »
Awesome, prepperjim!

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
I forgot this story.

My wife and I went to a 4th of July party. The hostess purchased some mosquito candles and shrouds that we had to assemble. The package required a knife. Check. The candles required lighting. Check.

Later, they were trying to build a fire with those pre-packaged logs and could not get it started. I was cringing that they did not know the basics and could not get it started. I asked for some news paper, got some kindling from some twigs and got it started. I thought Jack made up all those stories about people who could not build a fire, but here was a group of professional people who could not get the job done. Shocking, but true.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
My wife and I were going to a cookout and decided to bring along some mango peach salsa.  After going through the tomatoes that we had gotten from the garden we were still short a few (big batch of salsa).  She started to get her shoes on to get some from the store but then she remembered that we had some in storage.  So she found the stash of caned tomatoes and we used them.  It was that moment she said for the first time, "there is not downside to survivalism"!  Made me want to cry.

Another story that I want to tell is when my buddy and I went camping.  Both of us consider ourselves survivalist so we know how to build fires.  We were having one hell of a time getting one started.  Eventually we broke down and gave up on the idea of having a hot meal.  That is until I pulled a chemical treated log out of my bag.  I do not like them nor use them very often, but that night we were SO happy I threw it into my bag just in case.

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »
Went to a bbq picnic for my husbands team at work tonight.  Lady at the buffet table was rummaging around, and finally asked if anyone had a knife.  I said "I have a knife", she looked surprised and said "you do?"  (I should probably explain I'm sort of a girly girl with long hair, a pink handbag, and was wearing a skirt.)
Reach into my bag and pull out a nice folding knife with a 4 inch blade, open it, set it on the table (handle toward her).
She looks at me and says "You keep that in your purse?!"
"Yes, it comes in handy."
(What I wanted to say was "yes, in case the pepper spray doesn't work".)

Ended up I was the only one that had a knife.  Got used to slice a cucumber, a couple tomatoes, and a chocolate birthday cake.
I have to wonder, if they brought a cake....why didn't they bring something to slice it?

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
We were trying to build a fire a little while back.  I say we, my pops, stepmom, and step-sister's boyfriend.  I was burning through a bottle of fantastic mead, sitting on a log, and watching.  They got the kindling started, but the logs weren't seasoned and didn't want to catch.  I was full of grilled meat and mead at the time, so I really was trying to hold onto the log.

What do I do?  Grab a can of zippo fluid out of my GHB, grab a log,  squirt some on one side, let it soak for a minute, and wedge it fuel side down under the logs and over the tinder.  Arranged the other logs to maximize airflow, and stuck an old sales paper inside to kickstart everything.  Fire was going in no time.

And my knives get borrowed a few times a day @ work.  I get flak because it's against policy, and then I hear "Hey Matt, let me hold your knife." or my favorite "You got a knife?" ("No, I have four.")

Of course, I gotta screw with them.  "Which knife?  Fixed, folder, straight edge, serrated, long blade or short?"  After the stunned silence I usually hand them the Tenacious.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »
Sitting in traffic yesterday and my temperature gauge started heading for red. I pulled into a parking let and checked the overflow which was a little low. Grabbed the gallon I carry in the back and topped it off. Total inconvenience of about 3 minutes and I was back to sitting in traffic.  ::)

Offline AnonPrepper

• Prepper
  • Newb Forum member
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2012, 02:50:31 PM »
Went camping this weekend only to discover the lack of garbage bags in the RV!! Ran to my bugout bag and boom! there was a ziplock bag with 3 garbage bags in it intended for emergency ponchos or shelter ect.. Now I just have to remember to restock everything I keep using.

Offline Cordovil

• Survivor
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
I had to stay overnight at work . . .

I just got stuck pulling an "all nighter" at the office as well (sad, I know) just this week. 

I have built up a supply of preps in my office in the event I need to "bug in" at work (in Manhattan).  So I was happy to be able to pull out my trusty cot (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JDE3JY) for a few hours of sleep.  And the next day, the change of clothes came in handy.

The roll of quarters came in handy as well when I was raiding the vending machines at 3 a.m.  . . .  :)

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »
And my knives get borrowed a few times a day @ work.  I get flak because it's against policy, and then I hear "Hey Matt, let me hold your knife." or my favorite "You got a knife?" ("No, I have four.")

That happens to me ALL THE TIME with my neck knife. EVERYONE who has seen it makes fun of me for wearing it — and then within less than a week that same person is asking me for a knife becuase they need it for one reason or another...

"OH, so it DOES come in handy for things other than stabbing people doesn't it!!!"

...is my reply since that is the comment that I always get when they find out I wear one under my shirt.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2012, 10:57:08 PM »
We had a thunderstorm roll through this evening.

Our power was out for a mere 3 hours.

1. Retrieved flashlight from handy location.
2. Used flashlight to get a candle and holder out of closet. (used for bathroom trips.)
3. Fired up the Aladdin oil lamp.
4. The whole family sat around the table and played board games until the power came back on.
5. We had a lot of fun.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2012, 05:50:34 AM »
Ran out of half and half for the coffee so I ran down and grabbed some powdered "cream" (and I use that term very loosely) out of preps. 

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
The neighbors big stubborn dog got loose and was running around a busy road this morning as I was driving to work. The dog minds no one and doesn't even respond to its name, so I cut a lash of paracord, tied it around her collar and dragged her back home. The best part was, I managed to get to my morning meeting on time, where if I had to wrangle that dog without a "leash", would have ended up strolling in much later.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:22 AM »
Yesterday my wife and I ran to her moms house to pick up a "small dresser" for our, umm, remote location, and knowing the unreliability of her moms description of "small", we took the pickup, which I have only driven once in the last 5-6 weeks (no A/C, and it's been hot. And we have three other cars with A/C to jump between. Hey, 2 is one...) On the way back, we pull into the left turn lane at a very busy intersection, and it's backed way up, to the point of impeding traffic in the lane next to it. Finally, our light goes green and nothing happens. Then I notice cars in front of me bailing to the right and I realize someone ahead is broke down. I bail right, take the first U I can, and park in the corner lot to run out and push them out of traffic before someone gets hurt jumping lanes at this stupid intersection. Just as I get there, the driver jumps out to try pushing himself, and his gf jumps in the drivers seat (this poor kid was 110 lbs soaking wet) and another guy jumps out of the passenger side of the car behind him and we get it pushed around the turn and onto the shoulder. As we're pushing, I ask if he knows what's wrong with it, and he said it's out of gas. It wasnt his truck, and the gas gauge doesnt work. I ran back to my P/U (this is why it was pertinent that it was unusual that I was driving my truck) and grabbed my can out of the toolbox. I went back and he was on the phone trying to get someone to come help, and I just opened his tank and started pouring gas in. I only carry a 1gallon can, but its usually enough to get someone to the next station. You should have seen his face when I HAD a full gas can. He tried to give me $10 for the gas and I just told him to pay it forward. I like to restore peoples faith in strangers once in a while, and prepping helps do that. And on another prepping note, like Jack says, I am way more likely to help others since I got my CCW, as I am less likely to be made a victim for my efforts.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
Good on ya, 16onRockandRoll.  I know what you mean about being more likely to help people when you're carrying.

OK, this is a tiny little thing, but what the heck.  I carry a couple of water bottles in my vehicle.  I went to the taco truck (West Coast thing) and were out of drinks for my delicious authentic food.  I pulled a water bottle out of my GHB (and replaced it when I got home).

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »
  I went to the taco truck (West Coast thing)
We call them roach coaches over here on the east coast. :)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
Had a big BBQ as a belated 50th Bday party for hubs on Friday night.  Ran out of ketchup.  Ran down to the preps and grabbed some more without missing a beat.  It may not be a big thing, but it's nice to have the convenience :)