Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 380650 times)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #1050 on: August 09, 2019, 03:58:03 AM »
Made pizza last night with homemade and canned BBQ sauce, home canned pineapple and home canned chicken. All from the stash and of course cheese from the frig. Homemade crust too. Was very tasty.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #1051 on: August 09, 2019, 07:55:02 AM »
Made pizza last night with homemade and canned BBQ sauce, home canned pineapple and home canned chicken. All from the stash and of course cheese from the frig. Homemade crust too. Was very tasty.

8) 8)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #1052 on: August 09, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »
I posted that at another place where a mutual friend to see it. She took a swing at me but pulled the punch before it landed.  :egyptian: Said she was going to make it.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1053 on: August 17, 2019, 03:17:25 PM »
Got a call from my wife that the battery on the boat is dead. OK, you took my car. In the glove box is a Noko Genius jump starter. Not the best jump but in a pinch it can really save the day.

5 hours later I got a text. "I want one in my car".

I used my preps from 100 miles away.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #1054 on: August 17, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
 8)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1055 on: September 15, 2019, 08:14:09 AM »
Got stuck in traffic North of Indianapolis last week.  Traffic stopped and alert said hour delay.  Took exit ramp.  Road was blocked with barrier with sign "local traffic only".  Well, might as well test my preps.

Flipped into 4 wheel drive and drove off road arround barricade. Inclinometer and tilt gauges showed incline was well in safe levels.  Got back on road seeing that several others had same idea but turned around at barricade.  Drove 1 mile West on chipped road.  Then eight miles South and one mile East back onto highway.  Completely bypassed stopped traffic and was flying down highway again with only a few other vehicles.

All hail 4-wheel drive vehicles!

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #1056 on: September 20, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »
We are in the midst of a huge water main break  (https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/3-rescued-after-carrick-water-main-break-floods-roads-yards/.) At least sixteen schools in our urban/near suburbs area closed due to no water.
Several houses were damaged/destroyed from the flood waters from this break - like I said, it is a huge break. The flood water has knocked down trees and power lines, and power is out to much of this part of Pittsburgh.
About 20-25 years ago, I got a 35 gallon barrel, filled it with water and stored it in a corner of our bathroom. This has been our flushing water this morning. We also have five cases of bottled water in the house (plus several loose bottles - those have handled Mrs. ChEng's coffee.) Not a minor inconvenience, but not a disaster for us, either, thanks to prepping for if it gets bad, or even if it doesn't.  8)

Offline sams

• Prepper
  • Incompetent Prepper in Chief - Africa
« Reply #1057 on: October 08, 2019, 12:41:18 AM »
Today I used my wall flat knife ruler to measure a damage piece of equipment at work.

I normally use it also to cut stuff or open cans so I don't damage my Swiss army knife or leatherman, because it is just a chunk of steel and they are quite cheap at 15$ a pop from amazon.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #1058 on: October 10, 2019, 11:05:16 AM »
Curing my cough with plantain sirup that we made two years ago.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #1059 on: October 10, 2019, 11:30:11 AM »
Curing my cough with plantain sirup that we made two years ago.

Had to look that up. I thought you were talking about the plantain banana but no. I did find some good sounding recipes for plantains in syrup. The banana type plantain not the plant you are speaking of.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #1060 on: October 11, 2019, 04:31:21 AM »
I think I've posted about making the plantain sirup before. You just pick a bunch of plantain leaves, take a big jar (we use 4,5l) and layer leaves and sugar, until you reach the top. Then you dig a small hole in the ground, lid the jar and bury it in there. Wait at least two months before you take it out. Strain the content. You should get a honey-like thick sirup, that you keep in cold if possible. The blackened plantain leaves can be discarded.
We also make elderberry medicinal sirup, but that's more complicated. Perhaps another time.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #1061 on: October 11, 2019, 06:43:04 AM »
 8)

Thanks Knecht

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #1062 on: October 11, 2019, 08:06:16 AM »

We also make elderberry medicinal sirup, but that's more complicated. Perhaps another time.

I would be interested in that recipe when you get time to share it.