Author Topic: mandoline slicer recommendation?  (Read 11989 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
mandoline slicer recommendation?
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
Making precise slices to fill a 9-tray dehydrator is just taking me too long.  Anybody got any recommendations on a favorite mandoline slicer?  And while we're at it, any models to avoid?  I don't want to go nuts with pro-grade hardware, but there are plenty out there for $20-$40, so that's the price range my uninformed self is thinking of.  Any answers  much appreciated.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline WVMan73

• Senior Survivalist
  • Montani Semper Liberi
Re: mandoline slicer recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »
This is the type I have. It's a Kitchenaid Mandoline Slicer Set

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Mandoline-Slicer-Set-Black/dp/B0045YIOOG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321669387&sr=8-3

This one has a plastic body instead of the all stainless type, but it is a heavy/thick plastic. There's no wobble or twisting to it when in use. It does have stainless steel blades that seem to stay very sharp. (And I do mean sharp! Be careful with these things!)  One feature I really do like about this one, and that I would suggest you looked for in any mandoline you look at, is the angled blade. Many of the cheaper ones have a blade that is straight across the cutting area. The angled blade (or I have also seen ones with a V blade) seems to make slicing much easier. The Kitchenaid model comes in at least a couple of different colors and comes with different slicing blades.. "thin and thick julienne slicing blades with blade covers and coarse grating blade."

I've tried a couple of the "cheaper" types of mandolines and I must say that while this is not an expensive slicer, the Kitchenaid model is much better than others in it's price range.

I hope this helps in your search. Good luck and happy slicing. ;)

WVMan73
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson --

------------------

Mal: "I look out for me and mine. That don't include you 'less I conjure it does. Now you stuck a thorn in the Alliance's paw -- that tickles me a bit. But it also means I gotta step twice as fast to avoid 'em, and that means turnin' down plenty of jobs. Even honest ones. Put this crew together with the promise of work, which the Alliance makes harder every year. Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well not be another. So here's us, on the raggedy edge."

------------------

tuum caput ne tibi refunderet - sagittariis

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »
We picked up the Faberware one from walmart about a year back, and it served through harvest season this year dutifully. However, it did take off the tip of my pinky during a cabbage to souerkraut exercise. So do be careful.
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »
Thanks, WVMan73 & SteveandTracyinKy!  Will shop around locally tomorrow, see what I can find.  The Kitchenaid looks pretty tough (probably what I need), but the price and recommendation on the Farberware makes it attractive too.  Will post tomorrow on which way this goes.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »
I got a middle of the line OXO mandoline slicer. I do not recommend it. It does OK cutting some vegetables and it has variable widths and several blades, but on tougher items it doesn't quite do the job and breaks the last half an inch into chunks due to the short length of ramp below the blade.

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:46:46 AM »
I have a little one that you hold with one hand. Works OK for most stuff but it's not wide enough for bigger items like big apples. If you have a chance to go wide I'd recommend it.

Offline rogersorders

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
We have one from Pampered Chef, can't remember how much it was. It has worked great so far and came with different attachments for thick/thin slices, julienne and one for tomatoes or other soft fruits.

Please be careful. My wife told me a story about a Pampered Chef hostess taking off the tips of her fingers during a demo. Me being a man knew that would never happen to me  :(  You'd be surprised how much blood you can lose when you slice the tip of your thumb off. It has a slicing guard for a reason, please use it  ;)

Standing Order #19. Let the enemy come 'til he's almost close enough to touch. Then let him have it and jump out and finish him with you hatchet. - Maj Robert Rogers, 1759

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 07:51:01 PM »
BB&B had a couple of high-dollar ones (> $60), but they also had a $9.99 store special, and that's what I got.  So far, working fine on bananas and carrots.  When it goes, I'll pop for either the Farberware or Kitchenaid, but in the meantime this is 100% better than just a knife.  Thanks all for the advice.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
Glad you found something that works for you. Happy slicing, and watch those finger tips :'(
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:08:40 AM »
I would highly recommend getting slice resistant gloves.  I got a pair when I bought my slicer and it was a great purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/BladeX5-Classic-Resistant-Gloves-Approved/dp/B003DZ02MA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321967199&sr=8-1

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 07:14:15 AM »
I would highly recommend getting slice resistant gloves.  I got a pair when I bought my slicer and it was a great purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/BladeX5-Classic-Resistant-Gloves-Approved/dp/B003DZ02MA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321967199&sr=8-1

ha! if ever I am tempted by a mandolin slicer again (not likely), I will get some of these at the same time.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »
ditto on the slice resistant gloves... i recieved my mandolin slicer from amazon.. the OXO  loveed it for the first 15 mins ..... then lopped off the end of my index finger... OWIEEEE  i thought i had the  guard in the proper position guess not.. once the finger healed a bit, i ordered the gloves.. they are great and i use them when butchering meat. so far i have yet to try the mandolin slicer again.. it may go to a donation as i cant seem to get past the anxiety of the finger incident..  :)

Offline RhapsodyVF

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
I have both the "v" style and the angled blade style and vastly prefer the "v" style one.  It cuts cleaner then the angled blade more consistantly.   I'd also highly second the gloves if you want to remain attached to your finger tips. 

Offline steady_yeti

• Prepper
  • The missing link
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
I got a Swissmar Borner V-Prep Mandoline V-5000.

Highly recommend it. Cuts great, has multiple inserts for different cuts, and is housed in a nice tupperware type case to avoid cutting yourself when you pull it out of the cabinet. Plus it's not crazy expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZRZE8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=15000

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 08:13:59 PM »
I have this Borner. So far so good. I think the biggest trick is making sure its seated on a good heavy glass bowl so its not moving around.
http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373595133&sr=8-1&keywords=borner+mandoline
Negotiating with obama is like playing chess with a pigeon , the pigeon knocks over all the pieces , shits on the board, then struts around on the board like it won the game.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »
I just bought a new 1 from pampered chief . works great I taiked to the reginal rep about making some new product. prepper  kitchen tools ,LOL hey they lissened ?

Offline rmoeggy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Learning Self Reliance
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »
I have both the "v" style and the angled blade style and vastly prefer the "v" style one.  It cuts cleaner then the angled blade more consistantly.   I'd also highly second the gloves if you want to remain attached to your finger tips.
I was told that the "v" style is much better at slicing softer foods. I often get over ripe peaches, plums, apricots... from a local vege stand for SUPER cheap and dehydrate them immediately. If they are a little too soft I remove pits, simmer and mash for 15 minutes and them puree for fruit leather. I usually freeze the puree and leave it until winter until I have more time to run the dehydrator and then it also helps heat the house!
Like hearing from people in central Oregon.

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
  • Universal Man in Training
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
I wish i would have looked at this thread the other day. I was dehydrating VERY ripe perimmons and it was a total disaster. In the end i ended up just scraping out all the goodness and creating a giant blob on parchment paper on a rack and dried it that way. Came out really well, next time i'll have to try one of those v ones and maybe it'll be able to slice it. I couldn't slice it for nothing.
Feel free to check out my blog, its all about homesteading down here in South Eastern Looziana.
http://freedomlouisiana.org

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »
we picked up a Boerner v slicer [Germany] 10+ years ago for 20.00
use it regularly for every day slicing and canning of veggies
and its still going strong
it also comes with a holder for the produce being sliced so no oopsys  yet

SnoHam13

just Google Boerner and a whole bunch of sales sites come up
DoDaUPEh

Offline Honeybee

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 10:03:44 PM »
I have a kitchen aid mandoline slicer.  It's the only one I've had so I have nothing to compare it with but I do really like it.  It comes with a guard.  Use that guard or you will lose flesh.  Besides the pain and mess, do you really want to throw away veggies with blood on them?

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
Posting this here since I find their reviews helpful.
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-mandoline/

I currently have the OXO Mandoline in plastic, and like it well enough. Every now and then harder items get stuck mid-slice.

I'd really like to find a hybrid of these two:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/mandoline-slicer-with-built-in-blades/407MSSS.html (solid metal frame)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ0BRG (v slicer)
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 03:13:57 AM »
Last in line looks like. I bought the KitchenAid mandolin years ago. I seldom use it as I find it difficult/impossible to get uniformly thick slices because the adjustable plastic table is springy.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
I bought one of those Boerner V slicers from a yard sale years ago.  It's plastic, but works great.  I'm pretty paranoid about using the handguard/pusher thingy.  I like my fingertips the way they are...
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 06:06:13 AM »
I used my KA mandolin yesterday to slice squash for pickling. I removed, actually lost/couldn't find, the blade guard. It wouldn't stay on anyway. I also didn't use the product holder/guard as it's such a pain to use and didn't fit what I was doing anyway. Just paid attention to what I was doing and made the last pass on each squash carefully. No nicked fingers and I was happy with this use of it.

Previously I had tried to use it on hard vegetables like carrots and potatoes, even cucumbers and have never been happy with it. Even the julienning attachments were difficult due to the guards. BTW I am not recommending removing the guards.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman