Author Topic: Need Help With Townhouse Community Perimeter Defense Planning  (Read 2797 times)

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
Need Help With Townhouse Community Perimeter Defense Planning
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:44:42 AM »
I am fortunate enough to live in a small townhouse community that is just slightly off the beaten path and full of a lot of good people. We have no HOA (which I see as a good thing) and the entire neighborhood only has one actual entry/exit road.

What I would like to do is start thinking about a defensive strategy for keeping my home safe in case of an "event," and then branching that out into a strategy for keeping my street and eventually my neighborhood safe. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a lot of reference material available on how to start coming up with a plan. I am certainly interested in finding some resources to start my research (if anyone knows of any), but then I thought in a somewhat selfish way that maybe it would be a good exercise for everyone on the forum to help me come up with a plan. What I was thinking was that I could post an image of my community and have a brain trust examine it and help me come up with some solid solutions.

Does this sound interesting to anyone, or does it sound like I'm just looking for people to do the work for me (not my intention)?

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Need Help With Townhouse Community Perimeter Defense Planning
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:23:13 AM »
I would start by talking to your neighbors and seeing where they are in their thinking. Obviously you are talking SHTF scenarios and it would be good to know who you will be able to depend on and who will be food! ;D

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »
I think you have started a very important thread here.

In the first place, nobody survives alone. Humans are herd animals, and when the last herd breaks up, the species is for all practical intents and purposes extinct. The few remaining individuals are merely living out the remainder of their lives.

There is strength in numbers: EVERYBODY has to sleep sometime, and no one can guard all night and work or forage all day.

There is also wisdom in numbers. Somebody (well, everybody, probably) in a group knows more about something than any given individual.

So, in the event of a Hard-Hit Fan Situation, is is far better to be part of a coherent group than an individual or a single family trying to stand alone.

(Pandemics excepted--until the plague burns out. Then it's herd-time again.)

That being said it becomes obvious that a community should take steps for the protection of its members.

The first question that pops into my mind is--"Does anybody in your small community have a back-hoe?" (Heh!)

A community might best think in terms of perimeter defenses at long, medium, and short ranges. Within the final perimeter, you consider hard points, fields of fire, and all that.

You kind of have to design your defenses to the specific threats.

If you just want to keep a few opportunistic thieves out, you might get by with a gate, a wall or fence, some guards, and a few roving patrols.

If you have to defend against hordes of MZBs, you'd probably want barricaded approaches out to the greatest defensible distance, plus pillboxes, foxholes, & trenches, etc, in all the best places.

Backhoes are great for digging trenches. You can cut a series of trenches around your defensive position, ranging in size from ankle breakers, to leg breakers, to man-traps--all loaded with punji stakes (or course!).

You space them for best effect: those jumping the ankle breakers (@6" deep X 18" wide & covered),  land in the leg breakers  (@20" deep X 12" wide, also covered), those jumping the leg-breakers land in the man-traps (@ 36" wide X 36" deep). Those jumping the man-traps are rewarded by landing in more ankle & leg breakers.

Your final ditch defense (outside of the base-of-wall dry moat) might be laid in a starburst pattern where anyone that seeks shelter is still exposed to flanking fire from your walls.

One of the best site defenses I've ever heard of was at a battle where the Roman army besieged a certain city, erecting a very long palisade, and then had to build another as a hasty defense against a rescue army only a few days away.

The second palisade faced out, and then the Romans prepped the approaches with trenches, caltrops, etc, to wreck havoc on approaching infantry.

(They wrecked, BTW!)

The Roman victory was overwhelming--I just can't remember the name of the battle at the moment. It was unique in that the Romans built miles of palisades in record time, facing both ways.

If a community has to defend against a modern military force with artillery support (etc), they're toast. But against even an organized a rabble, all the old medieval stand-bys are still good. Even if the rabble has firearms.

Organization is the key: there would have to be a lot of co-operation within the community. First to plan and train, then to work, and finally to fight if necessary.

And also a certain willingness to spend some money--for "life insurance", as it were.

During the still-civilized stage of defensive preparation, things would probably be most difficult because the perceived threat would be small, and the available responses still limited by law.

No home-made napalm, etc.

But if you can get everybody discussing possible scenarios, you might get enough people on board to do the job.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »
Oh--hey! Send me that image, just for giggle & grins. Show the surrounding area, too, as that will be important in planning a defense.

PM would work, I guess.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
I am in a similar situation.  My town home is in a nice area but we have some really crappy apartments about a half a mile away.  I am worried about what will happen if things get bad and these people get hungry. My thoughts.

Build community.- exchange contact info with neighbors, be helpful, give out stuff from your garden, get involved in community activities, walk the neighborhood, and talk to people.  Work on learning everyone's name.  You will need the support of the community to do anything you are planning.

Look at your vulnerable areas.  My neighborhood has a security gate and a bridge over a small creek before you enter the complex.  The creek expands to make a pond on one side.  I jokingly refer to this creek as "the moat"  I have a plan to move cars onto the bridge and in front of the gate if things get real bad.  A couple of cars would also provide cover and concealment.  The great thing about this plan is you don't need to do anything till the SHTF.  I also like the idea of having a backup water supply.  The water is nasty but it would work for gardening and washing.

The entire development is surrounded by a privacy fence.  To me the vulnerable thing would be the backyards of houses that are on the outside near the fence.  My community is mostly young single people so you know that a lot of people would bug out to their parents house.  This would leave vacant homes with unprotected yards.  In a real SHTF we would need people on roofs or at a 2nd story window on each side.

I think that most situations would normalize in 2-3 days.  If it is a long lasting event then you may want to hire a security guard.  My unit has a HOA, so we would have a mechanism for doing this. 

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:03:39 AM »
If anyone in our neighborhood has a backhoe, it's not kept in our development. We are all townhouses (about 150) and there is no place for equipment like that.

In regards to my block specifically, on my side of the street I am only one of three males. One of them is literally never home. There are a few on the opposite side, but other than that it's all either old folks or young kids. The family immediately next door to me has two special needs children that I know will need protection.

I am very good friends with one family across the street. The husband is a wizard with cars and electronics, which is a huge plus. The rest of the families rarely ever venture out of their homes so I never have an opportunity to talk to them.

If we get into a SHTF situation my immediate thought is to use cars as roadblocks and then cut some of the trees from the treeline across the street to help reinforce as well as give us a bit more line of sight should anyone decide to try and get in via the woods.

I should also note that *my* concern (not sure if anyone else in my development has a similar concern) would be thieves, but one of the big biker gangs is known to pass through the main road every once in a while and I'm sure if desperate they wouldn't have a problem checking out what we might have.

I'll PM the picture for poops and giggles.

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:04:36 AM »
you're dealing with sheeple .... do the best to prep yourself to survive ...... work out defensive measures for your townhouse .... sorry to say, but you'll have looters going thru your sock drawer, before you could even convince sheeple that there is a problem .......