Author Topic: Your single most important prep/survival item?  (Read 21702 times)

Offline Norcal Mike

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Your single most important prep/survival item?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 03:42:40 PM »
Water in my trunk.  I've got 3 small bags of various provisions in my car trunk and fresh drinking water is #1.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 05:21:37 PM »
Women....

because they help motivate me to survive.... no offense to all the good quality guys on the forum....

but if I knew surviving meant being on this planet with just men, it would be hard to find the will to survive.

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 12:23:54 AM »
LMFAO hells yeah.

I would prefer to be the only man left among a world full of women who survived — but as they say — "be careful what you wish for..." LOL!!!!

Maybe my homeboys could survive with me so someone's got my back!

As for winter camping / bugging out. No kidding LOL. I would just start walking SOUTH with enough time to make it to a warm climate if fate allowed for it! Although the best country to find solitude is northwest from here.

I would love to have a BOB trailer one of these days. Even a Burley trailer for hauling kids can carry a bunch of stuff.

Here at Ohiopyle State Park where people go whitewater rafting, there is a horseshoe bend in the river where you can put in a kayak, and paddle for a mile or two and pull out of the river about 300 yards +/- from the put-in point as the river loops back around almost to the point where you put in. I see people using Burley trailers on their bikes to haul kayaks all the time. I've even seen people parking their bikes 10 miles down river and using them to haul their kayaks back to the parking lot after some whitewater runs along the bike trail.

Definitely handy. The tree huggers closed off my favorite 4WD trail in Maryland where I loved to go camping and a BOB trailer would make a handy tool to go back there to camp (the campsites are still there you just have to backpack or bike back into them now). We were just talking about that tonight. If money permits and a good deal presents itself I might end up doing that — but we have much much higher priorities on the financial side of life than a bike trailer right now.

The water in my trunk was useful just the other day when my daughter's boyfriend was going to buy a bottle of water from a vending machine and I told him to just wait until we got back to the truck because I have a few 2 liter bottles full of it in my trunk. He was happy for that and further proves I am not some nutjob just waiting around for the lizard aliens to take over in 2012 LOL.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »
I think judgement/decision making skills are the most important tools in any "survival" situation.  This is the tool that allows us to acquire and utilze all others.  But the ability to rationally analyze problems, both present and potential, while minimizing the confounding influence of emotion is easier said than done.  Unfortunately, rationality isn't the default setting of the typical human mind, we tend to let our emotions sabotage our thought processes.  Emotion can be helpful in motivating us to action and giving us the will to press on despite the odds, but rational risk assessment and decision making skills will, more often than not, allow us to avoid the whole situation in the first place, or at least give us a headstart on mitigation.

Offline WVMan73

• Senior Survivalist
  • Montani Semper Liberi
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
A tarp isn't one of the things I was thinking about seeing listed here, but it's a real good idea. Not much weight, but tons of things you can do with one. A multifunction tool for sure!

Water is definitely an item that we can't live without. Whether carrying actual water, or the means of purifying/filtering it, that's something we all need to survive.

And just having a good stash of cash could surely get you though a lot of tough times.

Great posts everyone! 

WVMan73

endurance

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 11:03:28 AM »
There was a thread on another forum that I found really interesting a few years ago where a guy looked at the essential tools of those living as refugees.  Obviously something has gone horribly wrong if that's how you're living, but the items that were essential to life were quite interesting.  What I recall were:

5 gallon jerry can for hauling water
8-10 quart pot
machette for gathering firewood
tarp for housing
wool blankets

The real insight for me on that list was the large pot, but it sure makes sense.  It's one item that would be very difficult to improvise in the field, but essential in maintaining pure water.

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
Reminds me of when I went canoeing for 150 miles assuming I could buy a gallon of water on the bank somewhere when I needed to re-up... And never found a single place to re-up.

I ended up boiling water in a collapsible frying pan for the last 2 days and bought a Katadyn Hiker portable filter before I went on another trip LOL. Being surrounded by water and having no good water to drink sucks.

Offline GeorgiaBoy

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
Common sense and the ability to keep your head any number of situations and being resourceful.

All the prepping and gear in the world isn't worth a thing if you can't keep a cool head in different types of situations..

Offline jreb357

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »
1) Knowledge/skills
2) A good water source
3) A good knife
Once you have these 3, then you can build from there.

jreb357
SurvivalDisasterPlan.com

Offline Metaldog

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 07:40:08 AM »
Gun is sort of far down on my list, which historically has suprised people I'm in this conversation with - which is usually - you're stuck in the woods for an undetermined amount of time.

Very high on the list - clear head, good synthetic mummy bag, bic lighter, knife, water filter, tarp

I'm in the Northeast so hypothermia is generally my best chance of dying first

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »
The ability to make and control fire is pretty important.  Control is just as important as making the fire. 

I have never been in a SHTF situation, so I can only speculate though.  Most of you are probably in the same boat. 

Also, Adam B and endurance.. you might want to look into the symptoms of depression.  Sounds like you need someone you can talk to that you can relate to.  I guess thats what this forum is good for!!

If you were to visualize my highs and lows as a roller coaster, as you did earlier, mine would be pretty high and flat as hell.  I don't get highs and lows like most people.   I'm never giddy/bubbly, but i'm never down in the dumps either. 

My wife however, suffers from depression and anxiety problems.  She has social anxiety and sometimes she has to get away from people who aren't me.  She can get to the point where she can't rationalize things to herself and something tiny (like forgetting to bring her calculator to a math-intensive class) can feel like the end of the world.  When it gets to that point, I am the only one who can calm her down.

The only thing that would make my roller coaster move down is if I am worried about my wife because I either think there might be something wrong or I know that something is wrong.  It isn't a prep/survival item, but I would say that being with my family (wife, dog, any future kids we might have) would be the single most important thing for me.  My previous answer is assuming that I am with my family.

HumeMan

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »
Never Leave Home Without It!

Offline Malamute

• Senior Survivalist
  • Lester Burnham goes Survivalist
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
Water filters

Survey SAYS?!?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 05:59:09 PM »
Gun is sort of far down on my list, which historically has suprised people I'm in this conversation with

Actually not me.. I balked at buying one forever, but the price was right for something I need to butcher with, as I am not into the "kosher kill" thing so much, which is by slicing a animals throat until it bleeds to death. I did not buy my gun for protection purposes, although it could be used for that.

Cedar

Offline Metaldog

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 04:19:49 AM »
^don't get me wrong, I have guns and hunt, but from the perspective of those few most important items that are going to keep me alive in the most common "survival" situation I'd encounter - which is probably, I'm hiking and break my leg or something and have to wait for rescue or get out very slowly

Now, gun is basically #1 everyday in "civilization"  ;)

endurance

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2012, 04:44:08 AM »
Also, Adam B and endurance.. you might want to look into the symptoms of depression.  Sounds like you need someone you can talk to that you can relate to.  I guess thats what this forum is good for!!
Errrm, what post number are you referring to?  I just looked through my posts on this thread and can't for the life of me see where I posted something indicating depression.

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2012, 04:58:08 AM »
Here's an answer no one's mentioned yet: winsome charm.

I'm not currently capable of surviving on my own, not even day-to-day in normal life. Thus I've learned the surest way to have my needs taken care of is to win over the heart of others, avail myself as a bright blessing in their lives and form my requests in such a kindly manner that people want to help me and find fulfillment in doing so.

Of course I prefer robust health that grants me the option of independence, and I work hard towards that goal. But no one else here has their strength guaranteed either. If you became helpless long-term, would others want to take care of you?

endurance

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »
+1 Dainty.  i know some crummugens that wont get a hand from anyone if they're laid up.

Offline WVMan73

• Senior Survivalist
  • Montani Semper Liberi
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »
i know some crummugens that wont get a hand from anyone if they're laid up.

Naming no names, eh endurance? lol

This thread is getting more interesting. It seems that the longer it's here, and the more posts there are, the more... well, spread out the answers are getting. At first a lot of the answers were ones I kind of expected, but now they're getting more into things that I wouldn't have thought of. Winsome charm for instance. Interesting.

WVMan73

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:57 PM »
Errrm, what post number are you referring to?  I just looked through my posts on this thread and can't for the life of me see where I posted something indicating depression.

I was thinking you sounded like my wife with her anxiety problems.

The more irrational people act around me, the more I withdraw and begin working in a hyper-analytic mode.

I did not mean anything negative, I know that some of her most productive times are when she withdraws and begins her hyper-analytic mode.  However, when her anxiety mixes with her depression (she has both), she can withdraw and feel like nothing she does makes any difference, and be very unproductive.  Usually a talk with me helps her, but for a while she had maximum dosages of antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications.  Now she is off of most of her medications.

endurance

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
I was thinking you sounded like my wife with her anxiety problems.

I did not mean anything negative, I know that some of her most productive times are when she withdraws and begins her hyper-analytic mode.  However, when her anxiety mixes with her depression (she has both), she can withdraw and feel like nothing she does makes any difference, and be very unproductive.  Usually a talk with me helps her, but for a while she had maximum dosages of antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications.  Now she is off of most of her medications.
Ahhh, missed the context.  I was talking about firearms training and how the more the instructor pours on the simulated stress, the more I've learned to shut it out and focus on the skills I need to solve the problem. 

While I'm no ninja at the workplace stress stuff, I think most people would see me as one of the more happy people in my workplace and while I'm the more sober of the two of us between me and my wife, I doubt she'd see me as depressed. 

The cool I was talking about as a survival skill is a magical blend of training, confidence, decisiveness, calmness, and inner peace that has nothing to do with depression or happiness in one's general life.  I've seen some folks who were great at daily life freak out in a crisis and I've seen people with freakshow private lives rise to the occasion in a crisis.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
Ahhh, missed the context.

Good!  I'm glad it was more of a case of me missing the context than you having deep dark issues that were seeping out into this thread!

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »
I agree with knowledge being our most important prep. However, as far as physical items... definitely a multitool of some kind.

endurance

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »
Good!  I'm glad it was more of a case of me missing the context than you having deep dark issues that were seeping out into this thread!
Oh, I'm sure there's some deep, dark issues there, but so far they're hermetically sealed in. ;)

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »
Fwiw, my greatest survival "need" would be hope. Without "hope" there's no will to live & all the knowledge & a clear head aren't much use.

But the OP was about an actual physical item and for me the one item that I have with me the majority of the time is my Swiss Army knife. A Gerber Multi-Plier would be next but the SAK fits in a pocket better, doesn't need a carry pouch/belt and doesn't look out of place if I would happen to be required to dress up a bit in a suit or similar (however rare an occasion that may be).

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
Having a 2 liter bottle of water in my Jeep's toolbox at all times has come into play so many times in the last 6 months I can't even count. Everything else in there comes into play maybe once or twice a year... The water??? Every other week.

Offline Huckleberry

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 07:10:23 AM »
My food and seed storage.
(Preface: I'm not considering this a wilderness survival situation.  The question was for "prep/survival" item)

I know that water takes the front seat, and I generally consider it part of my food storage, but honestly, if you don't live in the desert (and sometimes even if you do), you can figure water out.  Will it be tasty? Probably not.  Could it kill you? Eh, yeah, probably.  You should have enough in your food storage to get you by until you can figure out a proper situation with water.

The knife is super handy, I do agree with that, but with food stored, and the possibility to grow more, I'm pretty sure I could trade for a knife.  Now, I may have to start with a crappy knife, and keep trading up, but the point is that I could acquire it.  Without food and water, I'm not living long enough to need the knife.

As far as that goes, if I have food, water, and can grow more food... I figure I can trade for about anything.  People get hungry.

Offline charles

• Survivor
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
I have to say knowledge is the most important, knowledge will allow us to do the many things necessary to survive. 

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
IMO the one thing people overlook is.....
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 06:48:53 AM »
If you looked at all of your preps, what would you say is the most important prep you've included that you think is most often overlooked by other preppers? Or maybe included but not in a large enough quantity? 

Offline WVMan73

• Senior Survivalist
  • Montani Semper Liberi
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 09:54:37 AM »
Ok, it looks like just about everyone went with "knowledge" as their most important prep/survival item. Not exactly the direction I had thought about when I started this thread, but it's definitely a prep/survival item, so I'm not complaining. lol  ;D

Maybe a "What is your most important piece of prep/survival knowledge" thread is called for? hmmm...

Thanks for all the great responces everyone.