Author Topic: Your single most important prep/survival item?  (Read 20900 times)

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
Re: Your single most important prep/survival item?
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
Rope... You can make so many things with rope and cordage that I wouldn't count that out of being most important.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »
Mindset.

endurance

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »
Ok, it looks like just about everyone went with "knowledge" as their most important prep/survival item. Not exactly the direction I had thought about when I started this thread, but it's definitely a prep/survival item, so I'm not complaining. lol  ;D

Maybe a "What is your most important piece of prep/survival knowledge" thread is called for? hmmm...

Thanks for all the great responces everyone.
It's not necessarily knowledge for me, it's more of a psychological toolbox to draw from that creates resiliency.  Without it you have depression, confused thinking, panic, hopelessness, poor decision making, etc. to contend with and either prevent clear thinking that would have kept you out of the situation or turn a bad situation worse.  It's a hard thing to put an exact finger on, but it includes things like training, experience, and confidence blended with a cool personality that's not prone to "hot cognitions." 

It's that Navy fighter pilot who can be running low on fuel, making a night landing on a carrier, and listen to all the inputs from the LSO, the visual cues, the chatter on the radio, the feel of the airplane and keep cool when something suddenly goes wrong with his plane.  It's that individual who notices that one member of their mountain biking group just isn't keeping up like he usually does, observes the incoming weather, and makes the tough call to turn around despite not reaching the day's goal destination, regardless of the peer pressure imposed by the group.  It's also that person who pulls up on an accident and looks around first, noticing that when the car flipped it hit a ground transformer box and it appears to be partially uprooted and acts to calm the passengers and those arriving to avoid putting the lives of others unnecessarily at risk.  And it's the person who just lost their job, had their spouse leave them, and just got a tough medical diagnosis, but they dig deep to put what limited resources they have to work to start creating solutions rather than resigning to depression, drugs or alcohol to avoid the problems that lie ahead.

It's a skill set, a personality type, a brand of experience and all that other stuff that makes a survivor who not only can start a fire in 30 different ways, but can many times prevent the situation from ever even becoming a survival situation.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »
A good knife

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
after a knife..... i would say a small cooking pot. (boil water, cooking food, tea, storing items)

nelson96

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »
A cool head.

@ endurance, you stole my thunder.  This is exactly what I was going to say.

"A cool head" can get you where you need to go (unless your mother and father were 1st cousins).  I figure that a cool head and the "will" to live can get me to where I need to be, find, make, and learn to survive.  I live in a unique area (lots of clean water) so water doesn't concern me as much as it would others.  If water became unclean somehow, well then I would just have to find a way to purify it.

If it must be a purely tangible item . . .  Adequate clothing, including rain gear, would for me make the short term difference to extend my life long enough to get whatever else I needed to survive.