Author Topic: Beaver's Bend trip report *pic heavy*  (Read 6820 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Beaver's Bend trip report *pic heavy*
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
Last weekend was mine and Kristy's 7th anniversary and we planned to head out to Caddo lake one again to mark the occasion.

With the Drought we have had this year the lake is so low that there is no suitable place to launch a canoe without wading through 100 ft of ankle deep or deeper mud.  Then getting out to the island was another challenge that would likely be the same or worse. A change of plans was prudent.

At the last minute we changed our destination to Beavers Bend State Park in Broken Bow, OK. We had both been there before, but it had been more than 15 years for each of us.  We had talked from time to time about heading up there and hitting some of the trails they have In the park. Being that it was only a 2 hour drive, there was no reason we had not made this trip before.

We had planned to camp along one of the trails But with everything being rather last minute, we opted for one of the regular tent sites and were luck enough to find a somewhat secluded one with a great view.

The fall flora, the  not to shy fauna, and the geology came togathre to help make this a great weekend

Veiw from our campsite

Being a stat park I was expecting the wildlife to be a little more bold, especially the raccoons.  What I did not expect were the deer.  I was almost like a petting zoo around there.  One of the rangers told me that they then to flock into the park durring hunting season with little fear of people.

After setting up cam on Friday, it was a little late to start hitting the trails so we took some time to explore the camp.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

“I know you don’t see a ball. Trust me, God has placed a ball right here. You just can’t see it because you faith is not deep enough yet”

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Beaver's Bend trip report *pic heavy*
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:23:56 PM »

Saturday we went on our first hike.  The parks David L Boren trail is divided intro several  shorter named sections  We started on the relatively tame Cedar bluff trail then about a mile for the Skyline trail before turning back for the back half of the Cedar bluff trail.  I have always thought of myself as having good endurance for a long hike, but I mist admit, the terrain here kicked my but a little.  It was only around three miles, but you could not have told my calves that.

Cedar bluff trail head

Over looking the Mountain Fork River and our campsite

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

“I know you don’t see a ball. Trust me, God has placed a ball right here. You just can’t see it because you faith is not deep enough yet”

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »

Great view.  Came back here after  skiline to sid and have our lunch.

Kristy had to hae a photo over the edge.  Wile I had no problem waling up and looking over, I could have choked her for getting so close.

Creek on the skyline trail

Sunday My legs were toast from going up and down all those hills, some of them had to be 60 degrees or better. I really did not feel I was up for another hike, but Kristy was...so reluctantly at first I went along. As soon as I got my legs stretched out I was in a much better mood about the the whole thing,  We started from the heritage center and headed up to the Lookout  Mountain trail then the Bevers Creek trail to come back around to the heritage center

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »

The first of two creeks.  I propped up on a quartz out crop to refill our water.  This was some of the best tasting water I have had any where.

Beavers Creek

We had a great time and we are looking forward to going back soon and doing the whole Boren Trail, and on taking the kids back to experience the place and some of the more tame trails ( though Draved may be able to keep up.

A special thanks to Leo for providing a little intel and topo maps

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »
Looked like fun. Its always good to get out into the outdoors.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics.

Makes me want to get out and go hiking.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sign up for TSP Forum Newsletter with updates and interesting forum threads: http://eepurl.com/iipvo

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:28:04 PM »
Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing.
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 12:43:37 AM »
Nice pictures Doc!

Looks like you two had a great time.

And a belated Happy Anniversary!

TW

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:42:41 AM »
Great pictures. I could almost smell the forest and hear the streams running. Thanx for sharing that.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The world is changed by your example not by your opinion.

Offline Wingman115

• Survivor
    • Wingman115 YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
Sweet photos thanks for sharing.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 06:48:07 AM »
More great photos, I look forward to your trips every year. :)

Doc
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com Just an average guy, reviewing gear for the average guy (or gal).
http://www.zombieasc.com  We teach survival skills and we come to you!

Offline JimQ

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
thanks for sharing your trip!  It looks like a very beautiful area.

Jim

Offline kingjo

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »
Great report and pics. Lived in Idabel for several years and spent many a weekend hiking and chasing trout.Thanks for the report

Jon

Offline geoffreys7

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:39:26 AM »
Excellent pictures and info.  You're a lucky guy that your wife will go hiking with you, mie has no interest to hike what so ever,   :-[

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »
Thanks for the Pic - Looks like it was very enjoyable.  The views breathe taking....
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline DheereCrossing

• Prepper
  • Who am I again?
    • OMG Leatherworks
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 12:46:21 PM »
It's been a couple years since we've been up there.  We always stayed at the Lodge but I'd like to camp next time.
See my leatherwork at http://omgleatherworks.com

One day at a time and then they're all gone before you know it.

"Zombie like beer" - JS, ep1214