Author Topic: Wagan power dome saves the day  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
Wagan power dome saves the day
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:40:50 AM »
We are in the midst of our move from Monterey, CA to Leavenworth, KS and after our first stop night before last I discovered that between the altitude change (gain 5000 ft) and the temp change (60's to teens) all 8 of our tires (truck and minivan) needed air.  No problem, we were at a hotel just off I80 east of Reno and there were 2 big truck stops.  Both had pumps that were broken!

So, thanks to letting my wife in on my preps, she reminded me we had it and I was able to pull it out and pump up all 8 tires in less than 8 minutes. 

Thanks Jack!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Wagan power dome saves the day
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:02:14 AM »
Bravo to the wife.  Love to see it when someone's preps save the day.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
We are in the midst of our move from Monterey, CA to Leavenworth, KS and after our first stop night before last I discovered that between the altitude change (gain 5000 ft) and the temp change (60's to teens) all 8 of our tires (truck and minivan) needed air.  No problem, we were at a hotel just off I80 east of Reno and there were 2 big truck stops.  Both had pumps that were broken!

So, thanks to letting my wife in on my preps, she reminded me we had it and I was able to pull it out and pump up all 8 tires in less than 8 minutes.

Thanks Jack!
There is another thread about the Powerdome - From it, I'd recommend using caution when running the air compressor.  While I don't have one to check, most have a duty cycle.  They must be allowed to cool down.  Other wise they will melt and internally self destruct.

They are however as you found out, a good thing to have on the road, and could be the line between stuck and being able to continue on.

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »
Thanks, it didnt occur to me to rest the motor.  Of course, it was 11 deg F, so Im sure that helped.