Author Topic: Thoughts/Questions about preparing GHB and BOB for multiple people  (Read 3970 times)

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
I'm in the process of setting up my first group of GHB and BOB bags. I could use some help clarifying the best way to tackle the job.

My first priority is to create get-home bags for myself, my wife, and my mother. The plan is to create three bags, of which the ones for my wife and my mother are relatively the same, but my bag has enough supplies for both myself and my wife. My thought process here is that my wife and I spend a lot of time together, and I usually do the driving. If we ever got caught out somewhere but her GHB is in her car (parked at home), then I really should have stuff for her in my bag as well.

For our BOB, I'm primarily thinking that I'm going to have to carry most of the longer term supplies for all three of us - things like the tent, cookware, etc. And here is where I'm not sure how to proceed. If we (all three of us) already have a bunch of stuff we'll need in our individual GHB, would it make sense to NOT also stock the BOB with the same equipment as the GHB? I'm thinking that if the SHTF to the point where I needed our BOB, I could very easily just dump the contents of my GHB into our BOB, and then my wife and my mother could just use their GHBs as well.

I'd really love to not have to buy four sets of everything when conceivably I could just take the stuff out of my GHB and put into the BOB.

What do you folks think?

Offline Nick Ferguson

• Prepper
    • Homegrown Liberty
Re: Thoughts/Questions about preparing GHB and BOB for multiple people
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »
here's the way I approach things. My GHB is specifically tailored for getting home. nothing else. Granted the items inside can be used for tons of other scenarios and situations, but the specific application and design is to get home as fast and safe as possible. I am creating some BOCs (Bug out crates) That's where I put together a little bit of everything we'd need if we were leaving and never coming back, or leaving and didn't know when we'd be back. My plan is to put all the essentials into 3 crates, with a little of each thing in each so that if we could only take one, then we'd have a little bit of everything we needed. Into a 4th crate put all the extra stuff, the (it sure would be nice to have) items. This way if we need to leave and do it in a hurry, I already have everything packed up and it's easy to load, if I'm away from home my wife can do it and meet me somewhere.

As for the BOBs and GHBs for yourself, wife and mother. I'd think about this... Keep your GHB in your vehicle, keep a spare for your wife/ mother. Keep one in each of their vehicles. That way if it's just you, you aren't carrying 2x the weight, and it saves you from unpacking and repacking if it's just you trying to get home. Keep your major disaster BOBs at home unless your situation is such that you would be most likely to be at work when something hit the fan. My job is such that I could easily put a crate at work along with a gun and ammo. If something happened while I was at work, I could tell my wife to pack up and meet at whatever rally point was best.

Dunno if I answered very well, let me know if I can clarify anything or if I missed something.

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
If I understand you correctly, essentially what you are saying is that I'll end up having two GHBs in my car - one that has stuff for me, and another that has the "extra" stuff for my wife. I like that idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

As for the BOB, my idea is to keep it at home (sorry if that wasn't clear). But I still have the question about whether or not to stock up the BOB with the same stuff as in the GHBs, or to just stock the BOB with the other items, so when the SHTF I can just shift the contents of my car's two GHBs into the BOB.

My head hurts.   :D

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »
Your GHB should address short term needs. Where as a BOB is for more longer sustained issues. You will have some duplicate items in both but tailor to your needs.

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »
So you are suggesting that I not worry about shifting contents around, and that each of my bags will be self-contained units that I should be able to pick up and use all on their own without having to take stuff from one and put in the other?

Just to be clear...

Offline Nick Ferguson

• Prepper
    • Homegrown Liberty
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:02:47 PM »
If I understand you correctly, essentially what you are saying is that I'll end up having two GHBs in my car - one that has stuff for me, and another that has the "extra" stuff for my wife. I like that idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

As for the BOB, my idea is to keep it at home (sorry if that wasn't clear). But I still have the question about whether or not to stock up the BOB with the same stuff as in the GHBs, or to just stock the BOB with the other items, so when the SHTF I can just shift the contents of my car's two GHBs into the BOB.

My head hurts.   :D

Yeah, if you need the extra supplies that a second GHB would provide a second person then I'd definitely keep 2 GHB in your vehicle. I'd say for the BOB, think about the "extra" stuff that your GHB doesn't provide so that you can grab it in addition to the GHB. Maybe a smaller pack that straps to the GHB... Imagine a decent backpack that contains all your basics and we'll call it your GHB, at home you have a second smaller pack that can be strapped onto that GHB, and the smaller pack contains the extras for a longer trip eg, more food, clothes, etc...  So you've got your GHB in the vehicle, and a smaller kit that straps onto it at home so you can grab and go.

So you are suggesting that I not worry about shifting contents around, and that each of my bags will be self-contained units that I should be able to pick up and use all on their own without having to take stuff from one and put in the other?

Just to be clear...

exactly! the last thing you want in an emergency is to have a huge pack 2X what you need and either be weighted down by it or have to stop and sort through it all to reduce weight. You want to be able to quickly and easily respond to a variety of situations. Having 1 pack for each person is way better than 1 pack for 2 people.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »

Just to be clear...
Yep.

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the answers, guys. Me gots some more planning to do.

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »
Just to make your head hurt some more:  ;)
Jmtc, but I view it in levels of response. Your GHB (Lvl 2) should complement and extend your EDC (Lvl 1) . Your BOB (3) should do the same for the GHB.
Eg. your GHB may be a medium size backpack and your BOB might be a duffel bag on a hand truck or maybe on a bicycle. Then that whole setup might be able to then go on some other type of carrier vehicle or in a trailer or RV. (Lvl 4)

Depending on "your" situation, you may also want to consider having a BOB offsite from your home in some kind of storage (a rented space, trusted friend, family member etc) That way, if say (God forbid) your house washes away or burns/falls down while you're at work, your GHB can get you to the cached BOB where you have more resources than just the GHB to get you to the next stage, like some sort of pre-planned shelter.

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »
We have a public storage locker a few miles away, and that is on my list. My EDC can't have much in some ways because I live in a place that doesn't really allow ccws.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »
Take the modular approach. What can be carried on foot only, what can be carried on foot short distances, what can be transported in the car, then what is stored at home.

The first level needs to be the individual essentials; water, food, shelter etc. This individual module (bag, pack, big pouch, beltpack etc) is kept inside the larger pack or bag and is pulled if fast longer distance foot travel is necessary. Each person should their own kit in this regard in case they can not meet you.

The larger pack or bag contains some unique items that might make life easier, more comfortable etc. maybe some extra food and ready water, but is not life essential.

This in turn is placed inside the vehicle transported bag which can contain more extended food and water, extra clothing, etc.

I would limit shared items to the home. Each person should have all their gear and supplies self contained in case they are unable to meet up with you and have to fend for themselves somewhere else. Plans are fine, just do not count on them and have alternatives that do not leave anyone short of what they need.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:54:17 AM by RPZ »