Author Topic: Metro Detroit, MI Ham Radio Class  (Read 1902 times)

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
Metro Detroit, MI Ham Radio Class
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »
How do I go about getting a license and learning about the Radio? I've only been able to find outdated websites and haven't had much luck getting any responses.

Offline WWalker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Metro Detroit, MI Ham Radio Class
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
The ARRL website has no listings for clubs or testing sites in Detroit :o

W5YI's listing for the state of MI is at the following link.  There are e-mail addresses.  Send someone closest to you an e-mail and see if they can help you out.  In my experience the volunteer examiners and ham community in general are very willing to help.

http://www.w5yi.org/exam_locations_ama.php?vec_state=MI

If you like to study on your own there are many resources for study material.  I have used and liked the ARRL study manuals and the practice tests on QRZ.com.
http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

You may be able to find an ARRL manual at your library.  Check out the technician manual to get started.

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
I appreciate the response. I sent some e-mail's out. I'm also going to check out the test link.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »
The LARK ( Livingston Amateur Radio Klub)  now gives free tests. They do it on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at the Livingston CO.  EOC.  7:30 pm  Just off Grand River Rd. on Highlander Dr. in Howell Mi. When your ready to take the test this might save you some money. Also if you can't make it then I've seen them give the tests on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month during the clubs breakfast at the Grand River grill about 1 mile west of I 96 in Brighton Mi.