Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 1178 times)

Offline zeke

• Prepper
asparagus
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
How much can you harvests. From one plant. I've planted nine Jersey giants last spring. And was woundering if that would be enough.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: asparagus
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
The Maryland Extension Services say that to feed each person, a 20' row needs to be planted.  They say that each plant should be 12"-18" apart.  So according to them, between 13 and 20 plants are required to feed 1 person.  I've also seen mention of 10 to 15 plants per person. 

Of course I don't know if that includes enough to preserve as well as eat fresh.

You know you should not harvest this year, correct?  I planted in Spring of 2011 and don't expect to harvest until at least 2013.  This Summer we may be able to harvest a couple spears, but it would be better to not harvest this year.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
Re: asparagus
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:44:45 PM »
How much can you harvests. From one plant. I've planted nine Jersey giants last spring. And was woundering if that would be enough.

Planting Asparagus isn't like tomatoes or peppers.  Baiscally, a special bed should be created with a trench that allows additional rich organic compost (manure based composts works well) to be added each year.  The first year generally grows uncut, then second year spears are harvested until the individual shoot size begins to gets small, then let them grow uncut the rest of the season.  Each year they will produce more and more.  After about ten years the bed may need reworking, so it's good to start a new bed every other year so they will be staggered.  We ate well from about 10' of bed with crowns planted about 10" - 12" apart, after about 4 years.  But it will all depend on how much you like to eat.

Do you know if those Jersey crowns were first or second year crowns?  If they are second yearlings, you may can get a little right away.  Just don't harvest any spears that are 1/8" or less in diameter.

I'm trying something new, asparagus in earthbox containers.  Not sure how well it will work... will let you know in a couple of years.

~TG