Author Topic: transplanting fruit trees-tips?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
transplanting fruit trees-tips?
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:41:59 PM »
I have an apple tree and a peach tree, 5/8", bareroot (but in a pot with soil), about 5' tall.  They are about to go in my south-facing backyard.  Any tips?  The last time I planted fruit trees, I just winged it, and they are no longer with us. (they were some cheapies from Lowes)

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: transplanting fruit trees-tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »
When did you get these trees and from whom?  I've transplanted (planted) apple trees I ordered from an online nursery when I received them without any problem.  One of the best things I did was to dig a hole about three times bigger than the root ball and fill it with an excellent potting/garden mix to give the new trees an easier adjustment to my yard.  I usually make a "mud hole" from this new soil mix, then set the roots into the center.  It's important not to plant the new trees too high or too low in comparison with the previous soil level, if possible.  If you got these trees bare rooted, you should look for the graft knob just above the roots as a guideline.  After I set the tree into the mud, I add dry soil to get the proper planting depth and to firm up the soil enough to support the tree.  I try to stomp around the base with my feet to eliminate air pockets.  This won't hurt the tree now, but don't do this again since compacting the soil is a good way to kill your tree.  Don't feed your tree for at least three months, but do keep it moist (not sloppy wet).  I like to plant flowers like marigold around the base of new trees to keep insects (and some critters) at bay and to indicate when the soil is getting dry. 

Another thought:  If your trees are not pre-pruned you should cut them back somewhat so that the small root system is not overtaxed trying to supply too much top growth.

Good luck!