Author Topic: Silver bars or Pre 1965 coins  (Read 8632 times)

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Silver bars or Pre 1965 coins
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
I have been investing some money into silver. I have been buying silver bullion bars for the Northwest Territorial Mint in 1oz silver bars that are divisible into 1/4oz bars. They are actually pretty awesome looking. My question is should I buy the silver bars or Pre 1965 coins since there 90% silver? From what I have looked at a Pre 1965 quarter has 5 grams of silver in it which is a little less than a 1/4 oz and they seem more expensive than the silver bars. What is the better buy and why? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The link below is what I am currently buying.

https://store.nwtmint.com/product_details/2920/Stagecoach_Silver_1_Ounce_Bar/

V/R

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
Re: Silver bars or Pre 1965 coins
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
I personally like coins.  If we get to the point where we are actually having to use precious metals as barter, than the worst is probably over.  In that case, I would be wary of shysters with bars of gold and silver when I don't have a way to tell if they are real or not.  Silver coins are probably going to be incredibly difficult to counterfeit, so they are more likely to be accepted.  Plus there is a clear divisability between the different denominations of coins versus dealing with 1/4 ounces of silver.

I want to get a little gold, but not because it will have a ton of value for post-SHTF, just as a way to get cash near the end if need be.

This is all just IMO.

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
That is a very valid point, but if you want to tell if a silver bar has been counterfeited put a nice strong magnet to it. Siver is not magnetic at all if the bar sticks its fake send em on their way. I do have some but very little Pre 1965 coins (maybe $2 face value). My brother keeps telling me to get more.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »
This is a joke, but when a loaf of bread costs a trillion dollars (because dollars are worthless) then most people in America are so stupid that if you handed them a silver quarters to pay for said bread they would just say "Can't you read the sign! Bread is a trillion dollars, you can't even buy a crumb for a quarter!"

LOL — hopefully that day will never come.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
when a loaf of bread costs a trillion dollars an ounce of silver will be 12 trillion

All my silver is in coins. One ounce Eagles or Maple Leafs. Too small to "spike" and hard to fake.
Smaller bars are harder to drill and fill with something else like lead but I like the certainty of coins even though you pay a premium for them.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
I think you would be ok with a mix of both.

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
Variety is good. I have silver dimes and 1 oz coins (eagles & maple leafs) for barter, and one ounce rounds, 5 oz bars and 10 oz bars for larger purchases and currency conversion.

Of course I have food and energy covered so I don't have to spend any of that silver until AFTER things have calmed down. During the 'panic phase' the silver is only good for worthless paper, and during the 'crisis phase' food and fuel will be more valuable so you're not going to get much for your silver coins. IMHO.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »
I am on the mixed lot bandwagon. I like dimes, quarters, dollars and bars. I don't think I would go any higher than a 1oz bar though, unless I was just swimming in silver.

nelson96

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »
I personally like coins.  If we get to the point where we are actually having to use precious metals as barter, than the worst is probably over.  In that case, I would be wary of shysters with bars of gold and silver when I don't have a way to tell if they are real or not.  Silver coins are probably going to be incredibly difficult to counterfeit, so they are more likely to be accepted.  Plus there is a clear divisability between the different denominations of coins versus dealing with 1/4 ounces of silver.

when a loaf of bread costs a trillion dollars an ounce of silver will be 12 trillion

IMO the above are the two best answers. . . .  Personally, I purchase 1oz silver coins and pre 1965 coins, for ease of use in post SHTF.  I don't want to find myself needing to buy something only requiring a pre '65 dime and the person I'm buying from not having change if I only have a 5oz bar to give him. . .  I will probably eventually buy some silver bars and gold too, for large purchases.

I also believe that just about anything you can think up (if it's something somebody needs) will be used for barter.  Depending on the scenario, ammo may be one of the better things (as valuable as gold or silver).

during the 'crisis phase' food and fuel will be more valuable so you're not going to get much for your silver coins.

Kind of a mute point IMO.  I can't see anybody using food for barter unless they have so much they can't possibly eat it all themselves before it spoils.  This will be valued way more than gold or silver could ever buy. . . .  You can't use silver after you're dead.

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
by 'food and fuel' being more valuable i meant: if you have a pile of silver, but need food or fuel, your silver is going to be gone in a  big hurry. So get your food and fuel preps BEFORE you even start thinking about buying silver.

I've had people approach me for advice who are just getting going on prepping who START by loading up on silver and guns, because of some commercial they heard, without bothering to store any food, water, etc. first. They're under the mistaken impression that they'll be able to buy anything they need Post-SHTF with their massively appreciated silver pile.

How much silver is 'swimming in silver'? Any targets people have set?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:35:54 PM by Insidious »

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
by 'food and fuel' being more valuable i meant: if you have a pile of silver, but need food or fuel, your silver is going to be gone in a  big hurry. So get your food and fuel preps BEFORE you even start thinking about buying silver.

I've had people approach me for advice who are just getting going on prepping who START by loading up on silver and guns, because of some commercial they heard, without bothering to store any food, water, etc. first. They're under the mistaken impression that they'll be able to buy anything they need Post-SHTF with there massively appreciated silver pile.

How much silver is 'swimming in silver'? Any targets people have set?

To you're point, and that was a very good clarification, I am not "swimming" in silver and probably never will be.  My plan is to load up on everything I can think up and only need silver for the possibility that I forgot something or ran out.  I hope to have doubled up on all my supplies and use those items for barter if need be. . . .  Excluding food.  I don't ever plan on bartering with my food.

Offline Oregonprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
I would think that the priority would be:

Guns/ammo (without these you may not get to keep anything else, and they would probably be the best barter item of all)
Food-Water
Silver

I've got all of the above so I have no bias really.

PS those divisible bars are sweet!  I don't know how much I love the stagecoach though.  If they had other images on divisible bars I would be very interested.  I don't know if I'd get a ton of them but I think they look awesome.

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »
My order is:
food/water
security
silver

Reason being.. if all you have is Guns/Ammo, when you get hungry you have two options - become a looter -or- trade your guns/ammo for food & water. What are you guarding? Your empty cupboards?

Also, we're talking about a big SHTF scenario when we're saying its time to break out the shotgun. Whereas food/water are useful for ANY scenario: from don't feel like driving to the store, heavy snow not really safe to drive, lost my job need something to eat, to flying Mayans emitting EMP pulses from Santa's sleigh (it IS suspiciously close to xmas).

Well, I guess in that last case, you might want the shotgun.

=)

other divisible silver:

http://qualitysilverbullion.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69
http://www.silversnowball.com/
http://www.silverandgoldshop.com/Store/Product/1022.aspx <= Sponsor!
http://www.silverandgoldshop.com/Store/Product/1032-D.aspx
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:57:10 PM by Insidious »

Offline Oregonprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
My order is:
food/water
security
silver

Reason being.. if all you have is Guns/Ammo, when you get hungry you have two options - become a looter -or- trade your guns/ammo for food & water. What are you guarding? Your empty cupboards?

That's totally fair I suppose and I flip flop back and forth between the two in terms of importance.  You can't live without food and water, but without security you might not have those for very long anyway.  You really need both food/water and security.

nelson96

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
That's totally fair I suppose and I flip flop back and forth between the two in terms of importance.  You can't live without food and water, but without security you might not have those for very long anyway.  You really need both food/water and security.

It's crazy how these threads get sidetracked, but as long as we're weighing in . . .  Obviously it would depend on the scenario that you are storing food for, and if it's SHTF, I can't imagine that you coud find yourself with a years worth of food preps and not having to protect it and yourself at some point.  For that I find them of equal importance. . . .  BUT, if I had to leave the location I had my food stored at, my guns, ammo and silver might then be more important.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
My silver is for before SHTF when dollars may not buy much of anything and "The Other Side" when stashed dollars may not even be money any more.
Of course, I don't think there will be a SHTF in the middle either. My guns are for getting food the old fashioned way - hunting.

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
My guns are for getting food the old fashioned way - hunting.

touche!    ;D

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:55 AM »
If you are looking strictly to safeguard your money, buy the bars. If you are looking for barter I would go with the coins, so-called junk silver. While they have little or no numismatic value, they are easily recognizable and more lilely to be accepted by the average person.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
I would lean more on the side of coins. More people are familiar with silver coins and the current price of coins.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »
If you are looking strictly to safeguard your money, buy the bars. If you are looking for barter I would go with the coins, so-called junk silver. While they have little or no numismatic value, they are easily recognizable and more likely to be accepted by the average person.

The gist of this thread.   :clap:

You need to decide why you want precious metals, but these are the biggest pluses for each of them.  I prefer for barter value.  There are alot of other things to use for barter, but with all of it, you will not know the value of any of it until after something has happened.  Ammo and food (probably canned goods) will be valuable, and I concentrate on them first, and the order depends on my mood.

nelson96

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
I would lean more on the side of coins. More people are familiar with silver coins and the current price of coins.

I would agree with you but, I would bet that the majority of people today don't know what that current price is.

1946-1964 Roosevelt dimes: 0.07234 troy ounces silver
1932-1964 Washington quarters: 0.18084 troy ounces silver
1948-1963 Franklin halves: 0.36169 troy ounces silver
1964 Kennedy halves: same as Franklin halves

Multiply the weight by the current price of silver, and you get approximate retail value. For a 1958 Washington quarter, right now the value is . . .  0.18084 x 32.18 = $6.06

24-hour Silver Spot Chart:
http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html

Offline Jeff NH

• Survivor
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
    • Free State Project
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 04:49:43 AM »
I like to have a mix of things because you never quite know who you might need to trade with. Smaller  denominations are good to have around but are almost always more expensive per ounce. The particular silver bars you are pointing at are 'neat' and I would assume that there is a good chance that you'd be able to find someone interested in them if the time came to trade them.

While we should always be aware of the tangible value of the silver in what we buy, never underestimate the power of 'shiny' in helping to close a future deal.

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
Well right now I have 13oz of silver and a couple dollars face value of Pre 1965 silver coins. I am however having to quit my investment right now. Unfortunately the company I work for went belly up and we lost our DOD contract. So 1 April I will be on unemployment until I can find another job. All I can say is thank GOD, I was able to pay off my one and only credit card and I have my food stock and a garden on the way. Thanks everyone for the advice though and as soon as possible I will be looking again and getting more silver bars and coins.

nelson96

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
Well right now I have 13oz of silver and a couple dollars face value of Pre 1965 silver coins. I am however having to quit my investment right now. Unfortunately the company I work for went belly up and we lost our DOD contract. So 1 April I will be on unemployment until I can find another job. All I can say is thank GOD, I was able to pay off my one and only credit card and I have my food stock and a garden on the way. Thanks everyone for the advice though and as soon as possible I will be looking again and getting more silver bars and coins.

This is a testament of how important it is to have bills paid and food inventoried. . . .  Good luck in finding new employment.  Let us know how it goes.

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
I will keep an update as much as possible. Thankfully that was my one and only credit card and I will be able to make it on unemployment. I just wont be living as glamorously as I have been. It wont be long though I am already in the hunt.

Offline Rubyfire

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »
Whats the best place you guys have found to buy junk silver with the smallest markup.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
Whats the best place you guys have found to buy junk silver with the smallest markup.

I don't know where online to get the best deals as I am paranoid about my transactions being traced in some regards ( :tinfoily:)

With that being said, I go to local shops and ask about buying certain quantities from different shops.  They are happy to deal with you and will give you deals the more you buy.  I have a guy that gets me a roll of silver dimes every few weeks with regularity. 

Offline Rubyfire

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
I was looking online because the local pawn store is gouging for thier junk.

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
Look up local coin shops in your area you are bound to have at least one. I have found it is much easier to negotiate a price with a local coin shop than anywhere else.