Author Topic: Replanting trees? Need advice asap  (Read 1259 times)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
Replanting trees? Need advice asap
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
My brothers cherry tree in his front yard fell over. It has been leaning for years, and we are getting a bunch of rain, and the roots finally let go. I want to trim it back and try planting it at my house. Anyone know if it will re-root?  Need advice asap.

Offline midatlanticgardening

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Replanting trees? Need advice asap
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »
Do you know how old the tree is? How large is it? If you can give me some more info, I'd be happy to get back to you!

Stacey
www.midatlanticgardening.com

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:48:24 AM »
Cherry trees are practically weeds, it should re-establish.  I would recommend some heavy pruning, both up top, and the roots. Realistically, you won't be saving all of the roots on an established tree anyway, so cut back the top significantly to account for the loss of surface area in the root system.
You may consider cutting the trunk off entirely, which will trigger the roots to send out masses of sucker-trees.  You can dig those up in a few weeks with a large mass of established roots.  They are fast growing trees, so focus less on preserving the existing tree in it's current form and more on ensuring that it will survive transport and thrive in it's new location. 
Also inspect the tree.  It is uncommon for a cherry tree to uproot and topple over, as the roots tend to sprawl out over a large area.  If it dropped, that may signify another problem with the tree. Of course, it could just be in loose sandy soil, but you'll have to make that determination.  You don't want to introduce any pests to your yard which may attack other trees.

It's worth a try, you have a high probability of success if the tree is not too badly damaged. But I would offer one piece of advice: Don't take the tree simply because it's available. You don't want to be in a situation where you say "Okay, I have this tree, now I need to find a place in my yard for it".  You should be asking yourself: "What plants will thrive on this site.." and then acquire those plants.  Plan around that and you'll have success.  If you focus only on obtaining only the specific plants you want and then throw them into any area you can fit them, you will end up with weak trees that are high maintenance and relatively unproductive.  Be sure your site is adequate for that tree. If it is, go for it.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
It ended up being rot in the trunk. We had notice that it was leaning pretty hard a few days before, as it was on a hill in very loose soil, we assumed that was the problem. My brother was pretty bummed over losing it, so we cut off a big branch and planted it. We figured it only cost us a few minutes of work, so if it doesn't work out, no huge loss.