Author Topic: Where can I find reasonably priced land in a remote location?  (Read 8141 times)

Offline karim18

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy 1-5 acres of land somewhere remote. Any ideas as to where there is land that is reasonably priced and that would not cost my first born to have a well put in?

Thanks in Advance,
Karim
Mall Ninjas, UNITE!

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
Re: Where can I find reasonably priced land in a remote location?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:37:07 PM »
You can use zillow.com or the zillow app. Also, google search it. I searched for "desert land for sale in California" and it lead me to desertland.com.

Good luck!

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »
That is kinda broad...

In looking for my land, I knew I wanted to be in the Southern Appalachians.  I then narrowed it down to N. Alabama because of the average price of land per acre, property and income taxes. 

Looking at all the counties in N. AL, property prices were lowest in Winston County, which is also 60% NF land and very remote, thus ideal for me.
http://cptcaveman.wordpress.com/

Best curse ever: May the full horror of your actions be revealed to you.

...whose only purpose is to right all wrongs, to make strong the weak, mend the broken, vanquish the proud and make powerless those who abuse the frail.

My Orders

My orders are to fight;
Then if I bleed, or fail,
Or strongly win, what matters it?
God only doth prevail.

The servant craveth naught
Except to serve with might.
I was not told to win or lose,–
My orders are to fight.

~ Ethelwyn Wetherald

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »
The rural Southeast is very good. As Artos pointed out, Alabama is a good option; so is Tennessee.
"Freedom Road is a long, hard haul, but it's worth the ride, even if you never get there at all." -Leslie Fish, Freedom Road

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »
I have been surfing for land for awhile now.   www.landwatch.com has turned up some inexpensive land.  MI has lots of cheap land but I would NEVER EVER move there.    In my area SW washington land can easily go for 175,000 per acre or more.  However in NE WA you can get land really really cheap.  Also in cheap in SW OR.  Texas comes up a lot for large places.  AR made me say wow how can they sell it that cheap.  NC also blew me away.  CA SD ND  also some good pricing. 

Point is find where you want your land to be and start combing that area.  Learn as much as you can about an area so you know what a good deal is.  Then get out there and start walking the land.  The more you see the better idea you get of what you want and don't want.   After doing this for a while now I can google map it zoom in and see if I would even consider the land.  Personally I don't want to be on the north slope or next to big ag or right on a large river.  I don't want tons of trees and old growth timber nor do I want to be 4 hours from the nearest person / store.   Also when I look at the pics of the land I am looking at the ground to see if I can spot lots of rocks.  I am so tired of dealing with large rocks every time I want to dig a hole, or plant a seed.   

I also look to see how far off a paved road it is.   To put in a road / driveway can be $$$ in some places if you don't put in a road you would be hard pressed to have winter access.  Of course in some places winter access just is not an option even with a road.    Those are just some of the things I look at.  But that's just me.  You may not mind the things I do.  Also sometimes looking at something with a "tear down" house on it can be a great deal all the land improvements are there all ready. 

Your use of the land is also important.  BOL investment vacation home primary living.

My number one piece of advice…  SURVEY SURVEY SURVEY!!!!!  Yes what ever you buy BEFORE you buy get the land surveyed!!!  Check for timber rights mineral rights water rights too.  You would want to know if you drill a well do you really own it or does the state.   Check all the local county city state laws for what you want to do.   Price is very important for sure but knowing where you stand before you buy is even more important. 

Good luck and happy shopping. :)

There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

endurance

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
Are you looking for property that will produce food?  Near jobs?  As remote as possible?  Is water important to you?

Not nearly enough information to provide useful recommendations.

Offline karim18

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »
Are you looking for property that will produce food?  Near jobs?  As remote as possible?  Is water important to you?

Not nearly enough information to provide useful recommendations.

To be more specific, I am looking for a BOL. I would not mind clearing a section of the land in order to produce food and water is definitely important. I was kind of thinking TN, KY or AR but would not mind other states. I would like it to be remote, but if it is near a small town that would be nice.
Mall Ninjas, UNITE!

Offline nurumkin

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »
Midwest is the place to be :). I just picked up another 40acres this summer about an hour out of duluth. Heavily wooded and touching another 200 acres of county land (that has water on it so it can never be sold). I paid 45k.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
Midwest is the place to be :). I just picked up another 40acres this summer about an hour out of duluth. Heavily wooded and touching another 200 acres of county land (that has water on it so it can never be sold). I paid 45k.

which duluth would you be in reference to?

Offline Skyliner

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »

Lived most of my life in Duluth...beautiful area and lots of land within a reasonable drive.  Now I am up by the Canadian border, and finding anything priced in my range is very difficult.

Offline TwoStepsFarm

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
If you're willing to deal with the winters (I realize this might not work for you, but might for others) don't' rule out the northeast. Vermont and New Hampshire and Maine all have vast areas of land that was farm land and has gone back to forest. If you get land that was logged, it's often cheap.

Offline Kate Change

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 05:13:30 PM »
Land in the SW is really cheap  (I don't count California.).  You need a well, but when you buy you can ask about the water table.  Ours was not a problem and isn't far from some low mountains that are pretty (any fully of potential SHTF resources).  There are a lot of small towns outside of the cities and there is alot of space.  I have a great garden, animals etc, but you have to like the heat. 

Offline Built4life

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 03:25:47 AM »
I've been looking for a BOL in southern MO and have seen a TON of really awesome properties for under 50k in the 1-15 acre range. Don't forget to search craigslist and local clasifieds in newspapers just as much as the larger prop search websites also.

Good Luck!

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »
Hey "Roundabouts", I'll sell you some land. You can get a job at the sawmill too. LOL!
(Sorry, inside joke)

Seriously, remote land is getting harder to find, and more expensive up here in Maine.
Guess it depends on what you call "remote" and "reasonable".
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »
How about the swap meet section on this forum?  www.survivalrealty.com too

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
Hey "Roundabouts", I'll sell you some land. You can get a job at the sawmill too. LOL!
(Sorry, inside joke)

Seriously, remote land is getting harder to find, and more expensive up here in Maine.
Guess it depends on what you call "remote" and "reasonable".

@ hillclimber :rofl: I can't work at a saw mill any more! I don't have a truck my gun is not nearly big enough and wd40 makes me gag. 

@ karim18
any luck finding a place yet?

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »
Watch the listings at https://smile4uinc.com/property.php.  They are great for no hoa, no covenant properties.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »
To be more specific, I am looking for a BOL. I would not mind clearing a section of the land in order to produce food and water is definitely important. I was kind of thinking TN, KY or AR but would not mind other states. I would like it to be remote, but if it is near a small town that would be nice.

The real best thing I can add is a BOL should be away from population and yet close enough to reach on what gas is in the tank or within 1 hours drive,or 3 days walking or you simply are not going to get there . I would love to sell you land on the moon but you need something close enough to have easy access to improve the land and store the majority of your supply or you need a full sized semi truck to haul enough to keep you alive for a year and nature will not provide all with a living or all our farmers are just farmers for a hobby.You would be better served to just run like hell till you haven't seen other people for a few days.My BOL is less than 10 miles from my home and yet in a low population area with the best security .That is what you want to look for ...and if you are serious,you will move to a part of the country where you can afford the land nearby as the high income areas will develop ZOMBIES faster than less intense areas...Jobs may earn you less but the cost of living is so much less...I am in North West Louisiana and live fairly well with disability income BELOW the poverty level.

Maybe more than you needed to know about me.You need remote land NEAR YOU or you are most likely just fooling yourself.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:02:17 PM by Carl »
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.