Author Topic: Building better soil question  (Read 1476 times)

Offline horatio

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Building better soil question
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
I have one raised bed that I mixed rabbit manure with dirt.   My understanding is that that bed has a lot of nitrogen in it.   I want to build another bed for plants that don't use so much nitrogen, and use it this fall.   What do I use?   I know compost,  but can I make enough of that?  I bought the rabbit manure for $15 a front loader scoop.   It there something I can buy?  I need to make ten cubic yards of dirt.

I can buy dirt for $27 a yard.   I dont know enough about dirt to know if it is good enough.   How do i tell?  Thanks for any help. 

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: Building better soil question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
Rbbit manure doesn't have to much nitrogen. It's just right.

Offline rdg

• Prepper
    • Weekend Homestead
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:11:13 PM »
horatio,

I have been using a mix of 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite. It has been working well for me. It worked even better last year when I added Alpaca manure to my compost pile. This soil mix is recommended by Mel Bartholomew in his book All New Square Foot Gardening. The peat moss aids in moisture retention. The vermiculite gives the soil structure and friability.

You may also be interested in the podcast Jack did about square foot gardening:

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/hr875-survival-gardening-and-the-square-foot-garden

-RDG

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »
compost some of the rabbit  manure over the summer and by fall the nitrogen level will be mellowed.  it isn't a hot manure to begin with as noted above.

i start with the "mel's mix" formula above and add compost regularly to replenish both volume and nutrients.

Offline horatio

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
Rbbit manure doesn't have to much nitrogen. It's just right.

I read that the rabbit urine has the high nitrogen.  I assume I have both in the manure.

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
I read that the rabbit urine has the high nitrogen.  I assume I have both in the manure.

That might be with the urine I don't know. Compost it like cohutt said and it's easier to work with to. But I've had no problems adding straight pellets that have been urinated on to my soil ... but I dig down 6 inches to a foot with post hole diggers (I have heavy clay soil) and add 3 to 4 inches of it. In some places I can't even dig 2 inches down because I have so much hard clay!