Author Topic: Sunchokes / Jerusalem Artichokes  (Read 18291 times)

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
Re: Sunchokes / Jerusalem Artichokes
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
Awesome. I am going to try to ferment the stalks I have after the harvest. Maybe I will get some fermentation.

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
I gave a couple of frost killed sunchoke stalks to my hair sheep this evening, they seamed to really enjoy it. I some more stalks drying in a shed. I thinking hanging up sunchoke plants for winter fodder would be much easier than putting up hay.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
I gave a couple of frost killed sunchoke stalks to my hair sheep this evening, they seamed to really enjoy it. I some more stalks drying in a shed. I thinking hanging up sunchoke plants for winter fodder would be much easier than putting up hay.

I didn't think about using 'chokes for fodder.  Bet my goats would love them, too.  :) 

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »
I broke out some dried sunchoke stalks and served it up to my flock. They chowed it down, every last fiber. I can't think of any other plant that you could grow any more bio mass for the same amount of space.

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:15 AM »
We planted two 180' long rows of chokes last spring. They did surprisingly well for their first season. The soil is quite loose for Oklahoma, but that's one of the top reasons I bought this piece of land. We have drip irrigation on the garden so that was a big help in getting them through the summer drought.

We had a few problems with Armadillo's trying to dig up the plants, but dispatched most of them. I never tried feeding the plant itself to my animals, but will give it a try next year. We are still digging up the tubers and my wife is feeding them to our rabbits.

I personally am not fond of the flavor, but could get used to it if the need arises. I learned they are extremely high in carbs, having gone Paleo, that puts them low on my list. They are very hardy though, so growing them for our animals is my main focus.

I planted 100 ground nuts this fall, hopefully they will do as well as the chokes did.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 12:26:46 PM »
We planted two 180' long rows of chokes last spring...

...I planted 100 ground nuts this fall, hopefully they will do as well as the chokes did.

Where did you get the seeds/tubers/starts? 

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 02:22:12 AM »
Where did you get the seeds/tubers/starts?

I got the ground nuts from this company. He harvests the tubers starting in the fall.
Doesn't say anything about being out of stock.
http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/ground_nut.html

My partner bought the chokes, I will ask him and post his response.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
I got the ground nuts from this company. He harvests the tubers starting in the fall.
Doesn't say anything about being out of stock.
http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/ground_nut.html

My partner bought the chokes, I will ask him and post his response.

Thanks!

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11:36 AM »
This is where the Jerusalem Artichokes came from.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=Jerusalem+Artichokes

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »
I found a girl out of Kentucky on localharvest.org who digs them and sends them out the same day. I asked her in January if she could dig a few and send them my way since it is quite a bit warmer down here in Mississippi. She pointed out that while it's warm enough in Mississippi, her ground is frozen up there (silly climate). So it will be March before I get them... but yay!!! Sunchokes will be on the way soon.

Bobbett's -- Naturally Grown Produce (Liberty, KY)
If you buy them from her, please tell her I (Dillon Allen) sent you...

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
Thread necro incoming. I'm curious if people have any new info to report after another growing season? I'm thinking of planting some of these, but I do not have enough land to let them just go completely untended. I'm going to have to make some effort at containing them based on what I've read.

I was thinking of planting basically a 5x5 ft patch and wondered is it enough to keep a 3 foot or so buffer around the patch and just mow it aggressively to keep them from spreading?

Also, have many people tried feeding surplus to chickens? Only the tubers or both tubers and leaves/stalks?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
I broke out some dried sunchoke stalks and served it up to my flock. They chowed it down, every last fiber. I can't think of any other plant that you could grow any more bio mass for the same amount of space.

Stinging Nettles.

Cedar

Offline GardenLady

• Prepper
  • Permaculture Buff
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
You can feed Sun choke leaves to rabbits - NOT as an only food source, not enough nutrition for that but they love them as an added food source of greens. I personally haven't tried dried leaves & stalks as animal feed but from what I've read, I think they would readily eat them & want to try that. I've previously only composted the dried stalks. l've grown Sun Chokes & I love them! They're very crispy like a water chestnut when raw & you can cook them any way you would a potato.

Offline BRM_Homestead

• Prepper
  • There's a reason our flag says Sic Semper Tyrannis
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
I just harvested the first few tubers from my sunchokes.  Also planted them on Jack's suggestion.  I got my seeds from Gurneys.  Don't like Gurneys shipping schedule though.

I didn't realize they spread.  I might need to try to curtail them.  I planted them in 3 locations in clusters.  All of them did really well except for the ones I planted over a hugul bed.  They didn't get very tall but they did flower. 

I planted in mid-spring.  One thing that I was surprised by is how late they flower.  Here in Virginia it was September before they flowered.  The flowers are very pretty and they hang around for a long time. 

I'm guessing that from the three locations, fault small sections of beds, I'll end up with 39 to 50 pounds of tubers. 

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »
I hate reading the initial post of this thread... it reminds me of all the work I did at that house. Now I'm remodeling a house we just bought and starting from scratch with the garden again. But YAY!!! my wife is down with me getting a few laying hens. I'm glad someone re-activated this thread - reminded me that chickens can eat sunchoke stalks.

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2013, 12:35:23 AM »
We had fantastic growth with our Sunchokes this summer, we finally had a decent amount of rain and they went nuts. I have lots of plans for this plant, I would really be interested in any information on using it as a biofuel. Any links on that would be much appreciated.

One of my intended uses for this is to grind the stalks up once dried out using a hammer mill and them blend it with other plant material, herbs and nuts and them make my own rabbit feed with a pellet mill. I have both the hammer mill and pellet mill on order, should be here in mid to late November. The hammer mill came set up with electric motor, but I am off grid and don't want to run a generator to power the mill so I ordered it less motor and electric controls. I am going to convert it to run off my Kubota tractor's PTO drive like the pellet mill does. I will start a separate thread on that conversion project as soon as the mill arrives.

If anyone is interested in a few tubers to get their own started, I am more than willing to barter. We have three rows 180 feet long. The plants were 8' tall this year and had a much larger stalk than the past couple years, I expect to see some huge tubers once we start to harvest. All I ask is for you to pick up the freight cost. I can ship from my business and we have pretty good freight rates with our shipping volume.