Author Topic: vacuum sealing clothes  (Read 3211 times)

Offline The Morgan Hill Homesteading Project

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
vacuum sealing clothes
« on: June 15, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
Who here has experience Vacuum sealing clothes for their BOB. I was putting some pants in some 2 gallon Ziplock bags and I was having a bit of trouble. wondering if you could talk about your experience.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:57:37 PM by TexDaddy »

Offline woodlandmonk

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: vacuum sealing cloths
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »
If you have to vacuum pack your gear to get it all in your bag, how will you get it back in your bag after you use it in the field? If you are just worried about keeping it dry, a ziplock bag is not the best coice as they are not very durrable. Get a good dry sack with compression straps instead.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »
If he means the ziploc vaccum seal bags, they use a hand pump that is very light and compact enough to put in a BOB. I use them for backpacking and general camping all the time because you CAN re-seal the bags.

However, I also agree about dry sacks with compression straps or something similar for keeping your clothes dry. I wonder if they make those "space bags" with hand pumps... But I would also be worried about how much weight all that takes up vs. space savings if they do and it was for a bag I have to carry on my back.

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
My issue that I want to address at this time is space saving. It seems that every time I go through my bag the zip lock bags either get a hole in the them or the seal decides to unseal itself which is quite annoying. A dry sack is on "to buy" list at this time. I do have some small zip lock bags with the vacuum pump that I still need to give a shot.

Food for though, what about lining the inside of the zip lock bag with duck tape and labeling the outside? I do understand that it might be a weight issue.

Offline Dusti

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »
I recommend the Lewis N Clark compression bags. They are heavier duty than space bags and you just "roll" the air out. I have used them for travel quite a bit. I have tried many other brands only to have them tear after the second use.
http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Compression-Packers/dp/B004RJWESG

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: vacuum sealing clothes
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:46:33 AM »
I have not done this for backpacking or BOB, but I did vacuum seal in my FoodSaver Bags my wedding dress (it was relatively simple and NOT fruffy) and the Baby Blessing outfits (one dress that was almost as long as my dress  ::) and 2 little suits).  I did it to preserve them for the next baby.  the wedding dress was taken out about a year ago and turned into a baptism dress for my 8-yo daughter.  sorry - getting distracted here.
anyway, as long as they were not being shuffled around the seal held.  I put them in my cedar chest.  I think the bag of little suits got a hole, cuz the bag was no longer airtight, but I have not been concerned.

reminds me - I need to find that Blessing dress...  New baby is going to need it in about 6 weeks......

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 08:46:54 AM »
Thanks Dusti, I will take a look into the bags that you posted a link to.

SmartLikeTruck

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »
I vacsealed some clothes for spares in bottom of work bag, fricken amazing how hard a pair of jeans is when air is removed. The bag did get a pin hole fairly soon but for the most part maintained a very slim profile. Next time I might try a heavy mylar bag to see if durability is improved over foodsaver style bags.