Author Topic: Any questions form today's show 22 June 2011  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
Any questions form today's show 22 June 2011
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:54:35 AM »
Hey guys- as I promised on the show, I am making a post here where I will answer any questions anyone has, and I am sure the other hams here who are more active on the forum than I am these days will chime in as well!

So ask away!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Any questions form today's show 22 June 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:03:22 AM »
Tim/Chief/Grouch,

Thanks for the show, I really enjoyed it (when I finally got to it over the weekend) and will re-listen to it on today's commute.  I'm pressed for time these days, so I'm glad to hear that it's not uncommon for people to pass both the Tech and General exams in the same day.  I've got to carve out time to do this – probably in the upcoming dog days.  Those are always good, miserable weather to stay inside and study.

But as far as questions... maybe something'll come up on the second listening.  Anyway, thanks!

Offline TLBones

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum Chupacabra
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
No questions just a sincere thanks to you and Jack for an excellent podcast.. keeping it simple and easy for non-Hams to understand!   

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »
Hey Tim, I just listened to the podcast today while driving to work. Great job with an overview of HAM, also I am very interested in the Uniden scanner you mentioned.   Guess yet another item for my wish list!

Thanks for a great interview.

73!

Dave

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
i thought today's show was great, and you've now given me something else that i want to do... i don't really have the funds to get started with broadcasting but i think i may still take the test just to get my license

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »
Maybe I missed it. But I believe you said that Tech's are stuck in the UHF /VHF and up. Not true.

Techs have small areas in 40,15 and 10M. Restricted but they are there.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Maybe I missed it. But I believe you said that Tech's are stuck in the UHF /VHF and up. Not true.

Techs have small areas in 40,15 and 10M. Restricted but they are there.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

He very briefly mentioned the 10m band, pointed out some of its propagation difficulties, and said it's mostly just used for fun.  He did skip over the 40 & 15m bands, but these are limited to CW for Tech licensees.  Worthwhile, but to me it looks easier to just go on to General than to learn code.  At least from a getting started in emergency comms standpoint, it's not that big a thing.

Phew, I've got to carve out time to get this licensing done.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:16:37 PM by Alan Georges »

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
He very briefly mentioned the 10m band, pointed out some of its propagation difficulties, and said it's mostly just used for fun.  He did skip over the 40 & 15m bands, but these are limited to CW for Tech licensees.  Worthwhile, but to me it looks easier to just go on to General than to learn code.  At least from a getting started in emergency comms standpoint, it's not that big a thing.

Phew, I've got to carve out time to get this licensing done.

Alan, I look forward to you knocking out your license. Let me know, man. I don't have my radio on all the time. But when I do I'm usually listening on the .94 repeater (Pearl), the .88 repeater (Madison), or the .76 repeater (WLBT tower in Raymond... it gets out there).

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »
Tim, AWESOME show. Jack and his fricking awesome guests rekindle all kinds of ideas in my marble holder...
Swami sees a trip in the near future to Home Depot/Ace Hardware/Radio Shack to get some PVC, copper wire, and resistors/capacitors/ferrite rings to build some antennas. I've been meaning to build a copper slim jim and/or a collinear 2M/70cm with aluminum foil elements. You got the gears a turnin' again.

Gracias.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
Alan, I look forward to you knocking out your license. Let me know, man. I don't have my radio on all the time. But when I do I'm usually listening on the .94 repeater (Pearl), the .88 repeater (Madison), or the .76 repeater (WLBT tower in Raymond... it gets out there).
Thanks Angus!  The plan is to get on this right after the bottle rocket smoke from the 4th settles.

Offline edm1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »
Hy guys...  Been listening for a while.  Really enjoyed the show on radios.  Also see there are more Central MS members on here.  May have talked to you before.

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »
Hey, y'all.  I really enjoyed this show, as I used to be an active CB'er when I was younger.  I really liked the sound of the HomePatrol scanner unit, but the price puts it out of my reach for now.  Could anyone recommend a good "starter" scanner?  I know Uniden, but what model?  Model number?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
Tim, great show.  I just listened to it on the way home yesterday.  I need to re-listen to it to get everything, but I'm kind of behind at the moment, so it won't be for a couple of weeks.

In the show, Jack asked about recommended radios for a newbie.  You mentioned a couple types of radios, any chance you can post a link to examples of the radios you are talking about?  I know one of them was a "catch all" type of deal that covered all bands.

Offline White Tiger

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 01:45:55 AM »
I know this is an older thread, but I recently found the podcast and caught up on those that interested me most -

I wanted to thank you for that show! I've been thinking about utilizing radio as part of my Prepps 1- for post SHTF communication and to aid in being useful to my community.

Your show gave me the motivation to just "do it" - this past Saturday I passed the Tech & General...tried for the Extra and got a little better than half - but need to keep studying!

Excellent idea and I now have the radio, an antenna and the basic knowledge of how to use it properly!

THANKS!