Author Topic: Beetles in cabbage  (Read 3069 times)

Offline 229Mick

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Beetles in cabbage
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »
So our cabbage has a lot of holes in it,

the other day I went to the other side of the fence where we have some forsythia, raspberries and vines, and found some beetles chewing them up. Wondering if it's likely that these are the culprit in the garden as well?

If so, I'm wondering what might be a good natural predator or something to get them or keep them away?

Thanks for any input...

Mick

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Re: Beetles in cabbage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
Must be the right time for these little critters as we are having the same problems.  They are flea beetles and there are many varieties that like different kinds of foods.  You can do some research about flea beetles on the net but I've come to the conclusion some of the natural ways to get rid of them probably won't work well - some suggestions were to plant other plants like mint near them.  Our cabbages are about 2-3 feet from a huge bed of mint and that didn't deter them.  I absolutely don't want to use pesticides though so I've come up with Diatomaceous Earth which is natural and the only draw back is if it gets wet you have to reapply it.  Well since we're having no rain here in Colorado, now the forest fire capital of the nation, I figure I won't have to apply it too much.  Couldn't find any local (what's that was the response at a couple of local nurseries) so I just bought a 4 lb bag off Amazon.com.

Good luck -hope this helps. Blessings, TBM   

Offline 229Mick

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »
Yea, definitely don't want any kind of pesticides, We get a little more rain here in PA so the DE may or may not work. We've got it for the pool though, so it may be worth a try. Thanks!

If anybody else has any suggestions, just holler!

Thanks all!

Mick

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:40:30 PM »
Those bugs in the photo are Japanese beetles, and they're nasty little things.  They're invasive, and don't have many natural predators in North America, so they're very destructive.  If you don't want to use pesticides, the DE might work, but you might also want to start an aggressive program of hand-picking (and dunking in a bucket of soapy water) to get them under control as quickly as you can.  Once they find a good feeding area, they will release pheromones to attract more beetles for mating, so you want to reduce their population on your property ASAP.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
The 2nd pic is typical damage from the JB's. It looks like leaf cutters are eating the cabbage in the 1st pic. Here is a link to the JB traps that I prefer. Check it out if you like. It is much easier to matain to clean and change. I'm not recommending the company, just giving you a idea of what to look for if interested.

http://www.greatlakesipm.com/jbtraps.html

Another route you can try is getting them by hand. JB's and Leaf Cutters will drop to the ground to hide if they feel threatened. For the JB's I place one hand under them and then place one over them. When you do that they feel threatened because you are shading the area they're in and they think predator and then they will drop into your waiting hand. Then give them a clap. Done!

For leaf cutters I smack the crap out of them with a fly swatter during the day. At night I go out with a flashlight and a fly swatter or old tennis racket and smash them when they fly "toward the light". You will see them all over the garden when you go out at night. Be ready to get some exercise.  ;)

Offline brohandy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
I know it's not the best idea, but if they're only a couple plants wouldn't containing those plants and putting something on that would just attract those beetles to kill them off work? Or is that a bad idea? Like flypaper, y'know?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »
Dig into the heads and inspect a little more.

Even though you have beetles nearby, I'm pretty sure your issue is cabbage worms or loopers.  They wear out brassicas, especially cabbage where they can hide down in the folds.   
Beetles aren't shy and eat all day in the open in my experience and would be posing for a picture like they were on the grapes leaves.
The caterpillars hide in their own frass during he day for the most part and wreak havoc at night.

they will either be the somewhat furry darker ones with yellow stripe or the nearly invisible green loopers that blend in with the leaves and are difficult to find with a magnifying glass.

It this is the case, BT will take care of it in no time- either powder Dipel or liquid Thuracide, both "organic" BT

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
Must be the right time for these little critters as we are having the same problems.  They are flea beetles and there are many varieties that like different kinds of foods.  You can do some research about flea beetles on the net but I've come to the conclusion some of the natural ways to get rid of them probably won't work well - some suggestions were to plant other plants like mint near them.  Our cabbages are about 2-3 feet from a huge bed of mint and that didn't deter them.  I absolutely don't want to use pesticides though so I've come up with Diatomaceous Earth which is natural and the only draw back is if it gets wet you have to reapply it.  Well since we're having no rain here in Colorado, now the forest fire capital of the nation, I figure I won't have to apply it too much.  Couldn't find any local (what's that was the response at a couple of local nurseries) so I just bought a 4 lb bag off Amazon.com.

Good luck -hope this helps. Blessings, TBM   

FYI Neem oil seemed to knock the flea beetles back into submission on my mint.  I hosed it down well a couple times and it took care of it.  I was in a panic because my raspberries nearby were starting to catch hell on the new growth from them.