Author Topic: Antenna quesiton/idea...  (Read 5151 times)

Offline gringogigante

• Survivor
  • Firearms & CHL instructor
    • MetroplexCHL
Antenna quesiton/idea...
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:59 PM »
I've recently gotten back into Ham stuff and was curious about putting an antenna up on my roof. I've got an old school TV antenna mounted up there by the previous owner. I'm wondering if I could take the old school tv antenna off it's 10' mast and add a good Ham antenna?

Again, I'm really new to this....got my Tech license in 1990'ish and haven't used since about a year after getting my license. So, I've got a LOT to re-learn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Antenna quesiton/idea...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:02:07 AM »
Hey Chris,

I did just that!  I removed the old-tenna and added an Arrow J-Pole for Dual Band Operations from the house (VHF/UHF) I replaced the mast as it was a little rusty around the bottom with a few new sections from Lowes for about $8 each.  The Chimney Strap Mount was in great shape.  The Arrow works remarkably well as does the Ed Fong J-Pole (found on e-bay) I use at the Barn/Shack.

I thought I has a shot of the Arrow, but I can't find it.  Here is a pic of the weatherhead I added to bring the wires into the house with. I should have used a 2" vs. the 1.5"...oh well

the link to Arrow:
http://arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

it is a very simple design, that some make from scrap at home-I bought mine complete from a dealer.

SCW

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »
There are a number of homebrew antennas you can make and do the same thing with.  So you can go either direction.  Edison Fong has a nice plan for the Twinlead J-pole for UHF/VHF as SCW mentioned.

Here is a good 1/4wave for UHF/VHF, using solid copper wire and a SO-259 connector

Good luck,..

Offline exSun

• Prepper
  • Old and in the way!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »
Just watch the weight and load that you put on the TV mast. Small antennas like 3 element 2m beams, J-poles, maybe even a lightweight 6m beams (very close to the old channel 2) will probably work. Large beams, or heavy loads like long wire dipoles, will likely overstress the supports and break something. You should consider the weight (dead load), side pull and torque in wind (live load) on the mast, and keep all of those similar to (or less than) the TV antenna.

Offline gringogigante

• Survivor
  • Firearms & CHL instructor
    • MetroplexCHL
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »
Great advice! I can't wait to get cookin' on it!

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:09 AM »
Hey Chris,

I did just that!  I removed the old-tenna and added an Arrow J-Pole for Dual Band Operations from the house (VHF/UHF) I replaced the mast as it was a little rusty around the bottom with a few new sections from Lowes for about $8 each.  The Chimney Strap Mount was in great shape.  The Arrow works remarkably well as does the Ed Fong J-Pole (found on e-bay) I use at the Barn/Shack.

I thought I has a shot of the Arrow, but I can't find it.  Here is a pic of the weatherhead I added to bring the wires into the house with. I should have used a 2" vs. the 1.5"...oh well

So do I understand you correctly that you used your TV antenna and added to it?
If so, I have a TV antenna on a mast at my house from the previous owner and am I glad that I have not removed the mast.
Now that I have a Radio, next step is a powersupply and antenna for the radio.

the link to Arrow:
http://arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

it is a very simple design, that some make from scrap at home-I bought mine complete from a dealer.

SCW

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:17:44 PM »
No Sir, I junked the old TV antenna entirely!  I replaced the mast sections as well, but did utilize the existing chimney strap mount.  There are 2 sections up now, no rotator motor, just the Arrow J-pole near the top, a small weather vane and a Monoprice HD TV antenna.  Very minimialistic  :P

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
No Sir, I junked the old TV antenna entirely!  I replaced the mast sections as well, but did utilize the existing chimney strap mount.  There are 2 sections up now, no rotator motor, just the Arrow J-pole near the top, a small weather vane and a Monoprice HD TV antenna.  Very minimialistic  :P

I did not think so.
I am new to HAM. Only having my ticket for a full week now.
I need to study up on antennas.
Just started to study for the General.

Thanks

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:14 AM »
http://www.hamuniverse.com/dipivcal.html

may be of some use to those interested in building your own antennas?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 07:50:41 AM »
HEY! That TV antenna will also do for a good VHF BEAM,if turned vertical. See artical here for more info...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwISDBwN3N1SlJsMHc&usp=sharing