Author Topic: A prime example  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Survingingteotwawki

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
A prime example
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »
If this won't help to convince you then you aren't paying attention.

This past Friday/Saturday my wife was in Washington DC following up on some surgery. She was staying at Bethesda Naval Hospital. Friday night they were all moved to a safe area because of the storms. Electricity went out for only a few minutes and then they returned to their rooms. The next morning she drove to her physician's office and they were open but it took a lot longer then anticipated because there were no traffic lights. It wasn't too bad because it was Saturday morning and no rush hour traffic was present. After her appointment she was leaving DC to travel back to Georgia. Because she had planned on getting an early start she had not filled up the gas tank on Friday night. For the next FOUR+ hours she drove less than 50 miles in virtual gridlock. She was finally able to find a gas station that had electricity. There was no cellphone reception and no OnStar connections, therefore she had to leave it to trial and error to find the gas. Fortunately she was able to get far enough from DC to finally get cell reception and an area not affected by the storm. What happens if she had not had enough gas to get out of the area? Yes, she had her always-present BOB and could have gotten by without too much of an inconvenience. As this wasn't a real 'disaster' she was able to use a little common sense and make the best of it, but think about what would happen in a real catastrophe. She might still be there and things could be a lot worse. Think about the people without the gas or the running water, or the lack of emergency services, etc etc. Carrying that BOB (which I never had done until I found this forum/podcast) made her feel much more secure. Thank you for helping us to understand preparedness.

nkawtg

Re: A prime example
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
These little "Disasters" always point out why we prep! And yet the grasshoppers just keep on doing what they do.
It's simple things like carry a BOB or GHB in your car.
Always have at least half a tank in your car.
I can go on, but I'm just preaching to the choir.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »
A friend of mine in DC posted to Facebook that downtown DC was like a war zone with everyone scrambling for supplies, short tempers, etc. sucks to be him.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  Please drop by "the front porch" and introduce yourself.

Thanks for sharing your story.  It's certainly a reminder to keep gas in the tank, and always be prepared.  Do you guys carry paper maps or Gazateers?

Even though we might think ahead to have gas and a working vehicle, the roads (especially city streets) can become blocked with stranded vehicles.  I'm sure the events around this storm were an eye-opener.  Think of how much worse it would have been in a real disaster!

~TG

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »
Yeah my wife is a grasshopper when it comes to keeping her tank filled with gas. Im constantly filling it because she will run it down to below a 1/4 tank.

nkawtg

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:36:10 PM »
Newt recently tweeted "Friend and coauthor Bill Forstchen notes Washington-Baltimore blackout mild taste of what an emp (electromagnetic pulse) attack would do.

Bill Forstchen wrote "One Second After"

He's right of course, but I wonder how the MSM will respond (if at all).

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
i read about the storm/power outages today... crazy. i was looking at a bunch of pictures from the trees that were blown over... they were HUGE! i can't imagine the wind that must have been ripping through there... sadly some people even lost their lives. glad to hear that your wife is OK.

i shared the story with my dad... my parents are grasshoppers and i really want them on board.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:03:45 AM »
To Texasgirl's point I recently realized that we had no paper maps in 2 out of 3 cars... Gotten so used to GPS on phones & such.  It was actually a bit of a pain finding someone who sold them.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
I just read (One Second After) and would recommend it. Since they are the only "real world" scenarios we have to study, violent storms and their accompanying damage can give us a glimpse into what a SHTF could look like. And yet, so many don't take any precautions! Not even a flashlight or fire extinguisher. Before I retired, I was considered odd because I kept a good flashlight in my desk. Our assigned tornado shelter area was a restroom down the hall (windowless, plumbing pipe "roll cage", etc.). The first thing I would do in there when there was a drill, would be to turn off the lights (which I explained to the kids would probably happen in a real event). Have you ever been in an enclosed space with 30 teenagers for a couple of minutes without lights? Even if they weren't panic stricken, the flashlight made all the difference. Even some colleagues commented when I brought this up at a faculty meeting (that every teacher should have at least a flashlight in their desk), that it was only a drill and I was being "alarmist". Unbelievable! Unfortunately, our society has been brain-washed into the mindset that "help will be on the way". If it all goes south, someone or some agency will save your bacon; you need not worry. Those of us that do take heed and even modestly prepare are mostly characterized as some kind of "whackos" and even worse, paramilitary nutjobs! IMHO, a society schooled in dependence on "The Authorities", is so much easier to control until it really hits the fan. Then it seems to be "every man for himself"; look at Katrina and the swell job that was done there. The best we can do is to be ready to take care of ourselves and loved ones, those in our comminity that we can, and spread the word by being positive survival role-models.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
Survivingteotwawki - glad it all turned out okay for you and your wife.  Unfortunately my crazy tin foil hat antennae keeps going off and I think this is just the beginning.  I can't say details or anything but my dh works for the utility company in the power plant (31 years) and what he sees happening there scares him. 

I think now more than ever we need to be ready or get ready and really start being prepared for hard times coming.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »
I saw a news report about the power outage, and (I kid you not) the reporter was blaming the length of the outage on ...wait for it...the poison ivy the electrical crews had to deal with outside of the city. They even did a close up shot of the ground where she was standing...in a patch of clover. :o

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
No kidding! I saw some talking head politician gripeing about the utility in his state not getting the power back on quickly enough. He should have been happy that it was EVER going to go back on line. No body thinks about the homes and families of the linemen that are out there trying to clean up the mess! Who's going to put ice in their freezers or see that their loved ones aren't dieing from heat stroke?