Author Topic: Truck Tool Box  (Read 13105 times)

Offline mactexas

• Prepper
Truck Tool Box
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »
Just got my new to me pickup and I am going to buy a tool box that crosses the bed of the truck. I am not really interested in "bug out" supplies to carry in the tool box. I am interested in what you carry in your tool box for everyday emergencies that may arise.
I'll start by listing what I will put in the box.
1. Jumper cables
2. Tow strap
3.  Tow chain
4. Bungee cords
5. Ax
6. Shovel
7. Socket wrench with sockets
8. Open end/ box end wrenches
9. Battery powered drill and drill bits
10. Duct tape and electrical tape
11. Small hydraulic jack
12. Assortment of nuts and bolts
13. Cable ties
14. Quart of oil
15. Gallon of antifreeze
16. Tire fix-it
17. Road flares

Any other suggestions will be welcomed.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Truck Tool Box
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
I have a full craftsman three drawer carry toolbox in my truck tool box full of tools. Wrenches, line wrenches, and sockets (all in std and mm), allen wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, pry bars, chisels, hammers, etc. I also carry a come along in my box as well. Of course, in addition to everything you already listed.

Offline VeggieDog

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »
You probably won't need snow chains, but a little kitty litter might come in handy if you're caught in one of those Texas ice storms.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
You probably won't need snow chains, but a little kitty litter might come in handy if you're caught in one of those Texas ice storms.

or if you drop some oil on the ground.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
Rope/paracord
Folding wood saw
Tire plug kit
Some kind of water container
First Aid Kit
Raingear/poncho
Leather/work gloves
T.P.
Blanket (s)

The July/August Backwoodsman magazine just had an awesome article "The Well Outfitted Truck" You may want to check it out if you can find it near you.

Offline dmsirovica

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »
I like to keep a spare change of clothes/ sweatshirt in there just in case

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I guess it depends on the tool box. 

I used to have a tool box, but it wasn't watertight, so I just kept spare oil, washer fluid, water jugs, spare windshield wipers, lock de-icer, and tire chains in it.. None of that matters if it gets wet.

However, I got rid of the toolbox and replaced it with a shell.
Now in the back of my truck, I keep the following:
1. Pallet positioned towards the tailgate.
2. Straw bedding on top of pallet. (good firestarter, good bedding, good for hiding things in)
3. 55 gallon water drum.
4. Sleeping bag, 2 complete sets of cold weather gear, and some unopened hot hands rolled up into tarp. (to keep the dog fur to a minimum IN the bag)
5. Tire chains tucked into openings of pallet.
6. Cardboard box stashed with food and supplies (lighter, candles, salt, cordless drill w/ water pump bit, empty water bottles (hard to drink frozen water), lock de-icer, ice scraper, etc.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
a few small 1 gallon buckets
box of plastic garbage bags

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
I carry most of what you and others listed, either in the box or the truck cab. A couple of things I didn't see listed:
-a metal plate about 10"x10" after a suggestion of Jack's. If I need to use the jack on soft ground it can help distribute the weight and be less likely to sink in
-I don't have as complete of a tool kit as Zef_66 but I have more than sockets and wrenches. I've actually used the hammer, tape measure and a few others away from the truck more than I've used the wrenches on the truck
-a tarp or two. among it's other uses, helpful for to cover stuff in the bed when it rains unexpectedly
-a couple MREs

Mike

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention is that if you're carrying the battery op drill, consider carrying either a charger that can plug into the truck or a standard wall charger and inverter. Depending on the battery brand and type, they can self discharge in anywhere from a few days to a couple of months. It would really suck to go to use and find the batteries dead and no way to charge them.

Mike

Offline jason389

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »
someone already said TP. Maybe a coupla cans of vienna sausage. Or a taco bar. If you get that to work let me know.

Offline mactexas

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
Thanks for the great recommendations.

COJDGUY

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »
I purchased a new truck recently and have been wondering the same.  While I always keep a small supply of tools in all of my vehicles, I am always concerned about theft.  I live in a small town and leave things in the bed of my truck all the time, but keeping a several hundred dollar supply of tools in my box, even if locked, concerns me.  I know I could buy a new set of cheap tools, but I swore a long time ago that I would never buy another set of six-point wrenches for the rest of my life. 

Is my tin foil too tight, or do others have concerns about the safety of storing valuable items in a truck box?  If it were me and the SHTF (or even if there was a line at Big City Burrito) I would certainly look at truck boxes as an easy source of valuable equipment ripe for the taking.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 11:01:28 PM »
I purchased a new truck recently and have been wondering the same.  While I always keep a small supply of tools in all of my vehicles, I am always concerned about theft.  I live in a small town and leave things in the bed of my truck all the time, but keeping a several hundred dollar supply of tools in my box, even if locked, concerns me.  I know I could buy a new set of cheap tools, but I swore a long time ago that I would never buy another set of six-point wrenches for the rest of my life. 

Is my tin foil too tight, or do others have concerns about the safety of storing valuable items in a truck box?  If it were me and the SHTF (or even if there was a line at Big City Burrito) I would certainly look at truck boxes as an easy source of valuable equipment ripe for the taking.

Some would say my tin foil is on too loose, but I don't even lock the cab of my truck, let alone the shell/toolbox. 

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »

I keep tools in my box and haven't had any problems with someone trying to get into it. But then I also try to be discreet getting things in and out so people in the neighborhood don't see what's in it. I think that the inability to see what's inside is a bonus of the truck boxes.
I haven't tried to break into my truck box, but I don't think it would be the easiest thing to do. Not like breaking a window and reaching in. It would probably take a decent lever, some muscle and time. I have a mid grade box, so a high end heavy steel box would really provide some security.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 07:08:36 AM »
Having a short bed F150 I don't really have the room for a full sized tool box.  I do keep some items in a container under the back seat and behind the back seat.

I also purchased one of these:
http://undercovertonneaucover.com/sc201p-undercover-swing-case/

I will be getting one for the passenger side as well.  Makes for a very nice storage area that is out of the way.  Currently I keep  a handful of tools and lots of tie downs (rope & straps with ratchet mechanism).

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
LOL! My truck toolbox it a Knaack gang box. I keep all kinds of stuff in there, or in the bed of the truck.
There's just enough room beside the box to stand up my 31x10.5 spare tire.
I don't keep tire chains in the truck, but there's probably close to 75' of 5/8" tow chain kept in a pair of 5gal buckets.
There at least one chainsaw in my truck most of the time. And I won't leave home without a Hi-lift jack.
Other than that, I just keep the usual stuff, tools, oil, anti-freeze, hydraulic fluid, heavy come-along, chainfalls, all that good stuff.

Oh, and a 3 season tent, sleeping bag, and camp chair. 8)

Offline loyalty4eva

• Survivor
  • MSB
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »
I hate to say it but a knife!

You can never have enough knifes and if you get a good fixed blade you wouldnt need to carry the axe or a saw. I know with my fixed blade knife I can cut anything down or cut threw anything that a axe or saw can. It might not be the best for it.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
homesteadprepper on YouTube has a great channel and one of his videos talks about starting your own business but what really caught my eye is the box he built in the bed of his truck. Few 2x4's and some plywood and you have some nice storage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgHGOTVOx5w