Author Topic: Non-plastic water-storage  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
Non-plastic water-storage
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:49:42 AM »
Hello all.  I've been meaning to get some water storage going, but the one thing that I keep coming back to is that I am trying to decrease my exposure to plastic, not increase it.  I know that plastic is a marvelous substance, but there are some health implications I would like to avoid involved with using it for food and drink.

As a result, I am interested in the possibility of non-plastic water storage.

Unfortunately, in looking into stainless steel, it looks like long-term storage can lead to chromium poisoning, so that's out.  And while glass is more durable than plastic jugs in some respects, it is less durable in others, so I'm not sure that glass would be workable as a storage medium.

So I'm coming to the prepping community for some help sorting through what materials are actually workable for ensuring that the water remains potable and the containers are not ruptured.  Once I have said solutions, I'll want to look into choosing among them for cost and other forms of practicality.

Offline tumtum73

• Prepper
  • IT G33k
Re: Non-plastic water-storage
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
I'm not as concerned about using plastic for long term storage (LTS) as you appear to be.  I try to use thick plastic containers like Arizona Tea and Hawaiian Punch containers because they are easy to obtain, are designed thick to hold acidic liquids, and are very sturdy.  I store them in the bottom of each closet in the house so that they are out of the way and don't take up too much room.

I haven't seen anything good in Stainless Steel for LTS but glass seems decent, especially if your storing them in the closets like I do - maybe wrap them in towels or blankets for protection.  Amazon has the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Homebrewing-and-Winemaking-Supplies/dp/B0064O8Z76/ref=sr_1_24?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1404662079&sr=1-24&keywords=water+jug

http://www.amazon.com/Luminarc-Quadro-2-Liter-Glass-Pitcher/dp/B0013Z9NY0/ref=sr_1_37?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1404662183&sr=1-37&keywords=water+jug

Good Luck!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
I actually hate plastic too. I feel it leeches, especially oils.I have 5 gallon glass carboys that I keep filled with water when I am not making wine, apple cider or the like. Look for SS retired wine barrels, they do recycle them. And like my mom, after dad died, she pretty much tossed all barrels (ss and oak), hundreds of glass carboys to the dump. Look for a score like that.

Cedar

FarmerJim

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
I'm not as concerned about using plastic for long term storage (LTS) as you appear to be.  I try to use thick plastic containers like Arizona Tea and Hawaiian Punch containers because they are easy to obtain, are designed thick to hold acidic liquids, and are very sturdy.  I store them in the bottom of each closet in the house so that they are out of the way and don't take up too much room.

I haven't seen anything good in Stainless Steel for LTS but glass seems decent, especially if your storing them in the closets like I do - maybe wrap them in towels or blankets for protection.  Amazon has the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Homebrewing-and-Winemaking-Supplies/dp/B0064O8Z76/ref=sr_1_24?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1404662079&sr=1-24&keywords=water+jug

http://www.amazon.com/Luminarc-Quadro-2-Liter-Glass-Pitcher/dp/B0013Z9NY0/ref=sr_1_37?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1404662183&sr=1-37&keywords=water+jug

Good Luck!

I recycle the 1-2 gal "bulk juice" containers to. Push comes to shove, they allow you to pass out charity to your neighbors without revealing your drums!

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »
For storage in my own home I suppose the glass is probably going to be more durable than the 1 galon plastic jugs water typically comes in anyway, though rattling around with other hard objects in a trunk, either kind likely to break and rupture.

Wrapping them in spare towels also makes sense.

How do you keep the water in the carboys potable?  I would imagine that bacterial growth would be an issue.

Some of the food I routinely buy comes in mason jars, so I suppose I could use them for storage, and can the water, I'd just need some lids.

The carboys are also an interesting option.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:14:36 PM by Josh the Aspie »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »
How do you keep the water in the carboys potable?  I would imagine that bacterial growth would be an issue.

Stays good for me. And the bacterial growth would be no different than in plastic drums. Probably less so, as the glass is easier to clean.

Cedar

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
Glass and enamelware is my friend. I use this beverage dispenser, capacity 3.5 gallons, I believe: http://www.crowcanyonhome.com/collections/all/products/beverage-dispenser-1

I use the GSI "straight pot" buckets to haul and temporarily store some water, I can only do the 1.75 quart version but a stronger person could likely handle the 3.5 quart. If you turn their lids upside down the pots are stackable - I haven't tested stability yet, though. If I were trying to set up a LTS solution I think I would look at the 3.5 quart ones

As it stands, my current system is to refill the dispenser once a week with the old bucket water and haul another load. However I also have a bunch of old glass Voss bottles that work well because the larger opening makes them easy to dump in the dispenser. I rotate those every couple months or so. I don't use anything to keep it from going bad but do use a steripen in the dispenser just to be on the safe side and that seems to work out well.

I find that some glass bottles have plastic caps that are problematic enough to cause me problems, and corks can be a solution to that, but in general I'm too fed up with smaller mouthed bottles to bother except to haul water when I travel.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »
I bring our drinking/cooking water from the cottage/BOL, 2 hrs drive.
Cornelius kegs have shown themselves to be the most durable and convenient. There was a time when they could be had for $50 but I doubt you can find them for that these days.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »
However I also have a bunch of old glass Voss bottles that work well because the larger opening makes them easy to dump in the dispenser.

I use 2 VOSS bottles, as my norm. They go with me everywhere. Even hiking, regardless of the extra weight. And they go in the dishwasher fairly often.

Cedar

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
For durable/portable drinking vessels (rather than long term storage) I already have 2 of these, compatible with water filter systems:  http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/wide/klean-kanteen-40oz-wide.php

I got the D-ring caps.

I might get some of the 27 oz ones to allow for using my bike's water-bottle holders, or to holster in things designed for standard cup-holder sizes.

As for storage, I will look into what, precisely, "enamel" is made of, be it ceramic, or plastic, or just some genetic term.  I've never looked that up before.  I'll get back to you guys on that.

Cedar, how do you plug your carboys to keep them sealed when storing water in them?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:57 PM »
Cedar, how do you plug your carboys to keep them sealed when storing water in them?

Depends on what I have on close hand and how lazy I am being. Sometimes it is bubblers. Sometimes it is tin foil with a rubber band closing it. Sometimes it is these huge corks from real cork. And I will admit, I will use zip lock freezer bags over the top with blue broccoli rubber bands (those tight wide ones) holding it onto the neck. It doesn't actually touch the water, so I don't cringe about that. And there are hard plastic caps which can go on them too. One of Z's carboys actually has threads. Mine don't.

Cedar

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »
Thanks.  I've got some good wine bottles I was considering giving to a friend who brews beer if he wanted them.  I think I'll just use them myself for water storage, once I am sure I've cleaned all of them out.  I kept the corks too.

Also, it looks like Vitreous enamel is either glass powder that has been fired and melted together, or is layered metal and glass, so yes, enamel-ware would seem to be ideal for a number of uses.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:01:54 PM by Josh the Aspie »

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »
Enameled steel is very lightweight, which makes me a big fan over glass. It's the same thing water bath canners are made of. Campfire-safe, oven-safe, stovetop-safe, I've got some fridge storage containers that work fine to store leftoversa nd then reheat food from them directly. Also a nice material for kettles.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
I'm pleased to report that I now have far more than 3 days drinking water stored up.

Wine comes out of the bottle, wash, water goes in the bottle.

So now not only do I drink wine because it's heart-healthy and yummy, I drink it to have water storage!  ^_^

Offline christphrmurray

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »
Old time water storage vinesion well. Was watching a show on vinnice the ground water is salt water so dig big hole put layer of clay like for ponds. Put layer of sand build stone well fill hole rest of the way up with sand cover with pavers and leave spaces so rain water can drain in.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
I'm pleased to report that I now have far more than 3 days drinking water stored up.

Wine comes out of the bottle, wash, water goes in the bottle.

So now not only do I drink wine because it's heart-healthy and yummy, I drink it to have water storage!  ^_^

I like that one, gonna have to use it. 

That's my story and I'm stickin to it. 

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
Took a while but I found some links about Venetian wells, also known as Venetian cisterns.
http://blog.davidboucher.com/2009/04/venetian-wells.html

http://www.venipedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Wellhead

Both were on this other forum, looked like a good discussion

http://www.permies.com/t/29820/rainwater/venetian-suggestions

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »
Thank you.  I don't have the ability to make property alterations at this time, but it may help someone else.