Author Topic: what's your "Niche" prep?  (Read 14798 times)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: what's your "Niche" prep?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »
Don't discount us old guys (49 this month).

49-year-olds ROCK!  8)

(high-fives Nelson)

endurance

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
Medicinal herb grown in the garden.  Every year I try to add a few varieties and see what I can successfully grow here.

Lighting is kind of a mid-term thing.  I built my own mountain bike lighting for several years and like converting old flashlights into better ones with LEDs.  Sometimes I'll get 25 old D cell metal flashlights (some are even solid copper) for $12 plus shipping on e-bay and buy the whole lot.  As I get the time, I'll tinker around and upgrade them with LEDs.  My best invention to date is getting an old 8D cell Ray-O-Vac Hunter and replacing the battery with a SLA and 1300 lumen LED head.  Over two hours of high intensity lighting for a total cost around $65.  Plus it stands on its own for area lighting.

In the long run I'd like to start experimenting with different abundant material batteries, stuff like zinc carbon using fence posts and charcoal with urine as an electrolyte.  LEDs are so efficient you might be able to get months of lighting out of an old fence post and the quenched embers from your fireplace in a five gallon bucket.

nelson96

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
49-year-olds ROCK!  8)

(high-fives Nelson)

BACK AT YA !

endurance

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »
BACK AT YA !

LOL, yep, I just did my pre-fire academy meeting and I'm the oldest guy by a decade.  This should be interesting.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
Don't discount us old guys (49 this month). . . 

And here I thought you were younger than me.

Cear

nelson96

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 06:54:24 PM »
And here I thought you were younger than me.

I'm just now starting to get grey hair.  Since I've shaved my goat & stash people think I'm even younger than they did before.  I think it's mostly because I don't act my age.  ;D

FarmerJim

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »
Don't discount us old guys (49 this month). . .  I know there are exceptions but I'd take 4 skilled old guys over teaching young muscle, while trying to get a project done, any day.

Ever heard of "old man strength"?  ;D

Hahaha. Our Vietnam vet is easily our most valuable! Skilled and experienced Operator (Force Recon), bilingual, experienced gunsmith and reloader as well as a damn competent brewer. Lol as far as physicality goes he is in the top 3 most in shape members (I'm not)

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Youngsters... (50 myself)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »
I think it's mostly because I don't act my age.  ;D

As long as you don't act your shoe size!   ;)

nelson96

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
As long as you don't act your shoe size!   ;)

LOL. . .  I'm commonly mistaken to be between age 35 and 43.  But I can often keep up with the 30 year olds.  ;D

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 10:18:36 PM »
Don't discount us old guys (49 this month). . .  I know there are exceptions but I'd take 4 skilled old guys over teaching young muscle, while trying to get a project done, any day.

I think 49 is young.....certainly younger than me....I was figuring the ones that needed some muscle help would be us with medical problems or the 80plus older ones..... (Not trying to offend any strong 80 year olds, just generalizing...)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »
I know an 84 year old man named Joe who can dance circles around me when we are hiking hills around here.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 01:34:49 AM »
I elk hunt with a 79 year old man and he surprises me how much he can do each year.  He certainly doesn't sit around camp.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
I don't have any particular niche but being in the medical field, ER RN, I do have a few items probably considered eccentric like a nasopharyngeal airway in my trauma kit.  I don't have that many medical items though but I do plan to get more!

I am working on my Family Nurse Practitioner degree now but I don't plan to work in the field for long after I graduate.  I plan to move West and work in herbal medicine. Eventually that will be niche :)

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »
Not really having a "Niche" but for 30 years always had water for neighbors when the power is off, Via Generator,& I'm the only one around with solar panels (lighting) & on all my vehicles. I'm a fair mechanic, none of my vehicles have "ever been in a shop" oldest are (2) 1986's, Electrician years ago.
keeb

endurance

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
I don't have any particular niche but being in the medical field, ER RN, I do have a few items probably considered eccentric like a nasopharyngeal airway in my trauma kit.  I don't have that many medical items though but I do plan to get more!

I am working on my Family Nurse Practitioner degree now but I don't plan to work in the field for long after I graduate.  I plan to move West and work in herbal medicine. Eventually that will be niche :)
And I look forward to being a supplier to your apothecary. ;)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »
What an excellent question!  Even though it is fiction, the 299 days series has really given me an appreciation for specialized contributions made to a team and community.

It sounds funny but my niche prep is math. 

Regarding 70+ year olds, two words: Samuel Whittemore.  ;)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »
Well, I'm becoming more and more of a handy man and car guy, but I also roast coffee and happen to have access to a warehouse with several tons of green coffee which stores for a LONG time. So I'll be the guy fixing stuff with a hot cup of fresh coffee in my hands ;D

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2014, 07:44:32 AM »

Work smart not hard.

My niche, pretty easy, Teeth.