Author Topic: Unused inground pool ideas?  (Read 8614 times)

Offline Archetype

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Unused inground pool ideas?
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »
First off I wish I could upload a few pics to save me having to describe much but the internet in Afghanistan really sucks.  It would be faster mailing a polaroid directly to photobucket and having them upload it there.

I have a decent sized swimming pool that was built in I would guess the 60s or 70s on the property.  It is about 16 feet wide and 25 feet long, roughly 8-9 feet deep from grade and sits another 3 feet above the rest of the property grade.  It has a groundwork build up only around the pool that extends approximately 6 feet away from the pool wall down to where the fence is (which surrounds 3 sides, and is completely rotten).  It appears that back in the day it had a deck that surrounded the whole thing that has long since succumbed to termites and poor maintenance.  It also has a 20x32 pool house which although it is well appointed with propane heat, an extra half bath and an outdoor shower that somehow still works has a warped floor from using substandard building materials.  It is basically going to come down at my earliest convenience.  Nice thing is somehow the drain pump still works, and it drains directly into the pond which is about 50 feet away.  It does not hold water when it rains anyways.

Thus my question for the forum.  What would you envision attempting to convert this into if it was yours?  My thoughts of randomness so far:

*Build a Greenhouse over it, install 275g water totes in the bottom of the pool with some stairs, and attempt Aquaponics with Tilapia and have my garden around the top
*Just fill the whole thing in and forget it was ever there
*Remove all the block, install form walls and use that as a somewhat hidden basement for a new shed (basements are rare in coastal Georgia)
*Install roof supports, cover with 2 feet of topsoil and enjoy a root cellar
*Have considered expanding the size of the pool to facilitate any of the above ideas.  I need a new earth bridge out to the little island in the pond and this would save me from getting more trucked in.

Any other ideas/suggestions? 

I do already have a lot of space in the form of outbuildings.  This is more of a keep me busy project when I am have downtime.  We really don't see tornados all that often to require a storm shelter.  If we do get a storm its a hurricane, and being below ground level isn't wise anyways at that point.  I have plenty of capability to dig with currently owned machinery and make it happen, but I am just on the fence on what to actually do upon my return to the states.  All comments are welcome.

endurance

Re: Unused inground pool ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
I like your ideas.  There's already an excellent drain built into the deep end, so to me the idea of leveling off an area with some gravel and adding either water storage capacity or a hidden storage area seem like interesting ideas. 

Offline Terroir Seeds

• Survivor
  • Heirloom Seed Company Owner
    • Terroir Seeds | Underwood Gardens
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »
Archetype, just a thought. One of our seed growers uses just such a pool that was in pretty much the same state as a cold storage room. They installed a super-insulated roof that is about 2 feet over the pool, giving about 8 feet of headroom to enclose the whole pool. They are outside of Sacramento, so the pool room now stays about 65F when it is better than 100F outside. Having the pool into the earth as a stabilizing thermal sink does that. She stores massive amounts of seed in there, as well as using it as a root cellar.

Offline Archetype

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
Endurance:  The floor is already perfectly flat, it is a really old pool with walls that are straight up.  Basically a concrete block rectangle in the ground that is about 8-9 feet deep everywhere.

Terroir:  Yeah I miss living back up in PA and OH since there were root cellars everywhere.  Here it gets signifigantly hotter than the Northeast (heat index of well over 100* for several months).  I would just need to find a decent material for the roof beams, as wood will pass quickly to our large resident termite population.  I would use about 2 feet minimum of earth for the insulation in my case, I like getting rid of clutter in the landscape.  Do you have any more information on the roof materials they used?

Offline Terroir Seeds

• Survivor
  • Heirloom Seed Company Owner
    • Terroir Seeds | Underwood Gardens
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
Our growers use wood, as termites aren't nearly the concern in central California.

I would look at your local salvage or recycling yard for some steel beams and sheet metal at pennies on the dollar for materials. Many times you can find seriously heavy-duty materials for cheap that will make for a hella stout structure. Galvanized corrugated roofing is perfect for the base material, as it won't rot for a long time. If you add a base layer like roll roofing to help, you'll be set for a long time with a sod roof.

You've got some intriguing possibilities, keep us posted!

Offline Prepper Recon

• Survivor
  • We don't have a lot of time.
    • Prepper Recon
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »
I like the talapia idea.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
Aquaponics, leave the plumbign for circulation of water and mofify to circulate into plant beads. Add greenhouse on top for year round growing.

hobbs67

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
Archetype,
Perhaps you have this covered, but pools are different than other underground structures and can actually be forced out of the ground by the force of the surrounding earth when it gets a significant amount of rainfall and pop out of the ground.   There are likely ways to handle this, so do some research.
Hobbs

Offline Archetype

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
Archetype,
Perhaps you have this covered, but pools are different than other underground structures and can actually be forced out of the ground by the force of the surrounding earth when it gets a significant amount of rainfall and pop out of the ground.   There are likely ways to handle this, so do some research.
Hobbs

You are correct that things may become bouyant under certain conditions.  We get no shortage of rainfall where I am at (sometimes days at a time) and everyone likes Georgia's miserable Spring.  However I am not too concerned about it as the pool has been there for over 40-50 years and if it was going to upset it would have done so by now. 

I think I am going to go with the cellar plan.  I can start a smaller aquaponics setup anywhere on the property, I still have to remove 3 outbuildings as it is so I figure adding another isn't going to help much, and basically having a big hole already is a big time saver.  I am going to branch off and make it bigger though.  A hallway coming off he NNE side, and branch off into smaller rooms for specific food storage with simple 12V solar lighting throughout.  Of all the things, it will also serve as a nice retreat during the summer if the power goes out and the family is dying from the lack of air conditioning.  It happened 3 times this year for a total of about 3 weeks.  I never heard the end of it from the wife ( I was away for that ;D )