Author Topic: List of NO GUNS ALLOWED stores / businesses?  (Read 12029 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: List of NO GUNS ALLOWED stores / businesses?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Bi-Mart is not ok with open carry (we are open carry in Oregon), fine with concealed.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 03:12:46 PM »
  My Costco has no signs. I least I've never seen any.

Offline bigjim71

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »
Did anyone notice that Sylvester Stalone was on this list http://www.opposingviews.com/i/celebrities/nra-releases-list-celebrities-organizations-support-gun-control

A man that has mad Millions and Millions showing the glorification of violence with fire arms now wants to take away my right to self protection.... so sick of these hypocrite  bastards.
Fear is the mind Killer.

nelson96

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
Didn't he star in a movie where his biggest line was "I AM THE LAW"? . . .  I guess he took it to heart.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
because of my job, we have a friend of a friend who works with stalone's brother and does his music. my boss is actually one relationship closer in that chain than i am. this may actually lead to me getting to meet him, which would be cool.

his last rambo was actually filmed in our neck of thailand/burma and from what i heard that filming really affected him. he worked closely with the karen tribe which is who we work with. apparently seeing what they and the burmese are going through really changed his views.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
I have to do TB tests and other medical tests for my healthcare certification to keep my job. So my employer contracts a company called Concerta and pays for me to get a blood draw or two every 6 months (and those damned annoying TB tests also). 

Concerta has a nationwide network of walk-in laboratories and walk-in urgent care centers.

The one I have to go to every 6 months has an embarrassingly over-stated sign out front which screams quite loudly that no firearms are allowed on the premises.

And here's a legal abstract from 2008 covering an unlawful termination of employment lawsuit from a former employee of Cencerta who was fired when it was discovered he was concealed carrying to work all the time. Winters v, Concerta Health Services, Inc.

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1207206303.shtml

The lawsuit asserted that since there was no stated company policy against carrying, he should not have been fired.

I guess maybe that sign out front at my local Concerta here in Springfield, Massachusetts is the result of his lawsuit.

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »
The lawsuit asserted that since there was no stated company policy against carrying, he should not have been fired.

My company's policy on employees with guns is just... odd.  Though, in a way, fairly logical at the same time.

Under no circumstances are we ever allowed to carry firearms, pepper spray, mace or any weapon of any kind while working, in uniform or in a company vehicle.

Unless we're on an overnight trip out in the boonies.  Then we can be packing whatever heat makes us happy.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »
I think you meant Concentra.  They're actually owned by Humana.

I've seen their "ghostbuster" no-guns signs here.  Those signs don't mean anything legally in Texas so I walked right on past them when I had to go there.

Where I work the policy is really broad, basically saying no weapons at all are allowed.  There's a lot of pro-gun people in our office but many of the policies are written in NY or at more of a global level. 

The HR lady in our office is pretty cool.  I told her that I'm the weapon and guns and such are just my tools.  I also asked if "these guns" were allowed (flexing my biceps).  She laughed and said that I know what the policy means, she didn't write it, and not to get myself in trouble.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »
Don't like Concentra one bit.

I've seen broken hips misdiagnosed as muscle strains ("Just keep working your very active job walking 15 miles over uneven surfaces every day... and make sure you stretch a lot") for more than a month, and major auto accidents glossed over.  They're very obviously in the pocket of the company, at least here.  I'm hoping we're an anomaly here and they treat patients better elsewhere.

Offline joelevi

• Fledgling Prepper
  • SuburbanPrepping.com
    • Good Guys with Guns: True Stories of Self-Defense
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
Not exactly the question that was being asked, but as far as the law is concerned in Utah, here are the places that can lawfully prohibit carrying of firearms (anything else is just a request by a property owner):

- federal or state restricted areas i.e. any airport secured area,
- federal facilities, courts, correctional & mental health facilities,
- law enforcement secured areas,
- any secured area in which firearms are prohibited and notice posted, or otherwise prohibited by state of federal law.
- a house of worship or private residence where notice given and/or posted http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFchurch.html

Source: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html#2

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 11:38:50 PM »
I respect a business owner's decision to ban firearms from his or her establishment, but they won't get any of my business.  Why should I walk into a place that advertises to criminals that their customers are unarmed? 

They have their policies, and I have mine.
"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedoms of the people
by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
--  James Madison
“It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from his government.”

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
I'm a relative noob to this.   Everywhere I frequent regularly, I've never noticed a sign on the door.   Short of the school, I'm not aware of anywhere I'm normally going to have to stow my gun.  Guess I'm going to the right places already.

So far as boycotting a "no gun" store....I'll have to think about it.    If it is a private business, local, I'd have to say I respect that.   Thier choice.  Bigger business, corporate, not so much, seems more political.   Saying that, I would bet most local "ma and pa" stores are cool w/ it anyway.

I have become seriously weary of this argument. If a business - regardless of size - is open to the public, then they cannot discriminate. Imagine what would happen if your local, family-owned hardware store put up a sign saying No Blacks/Jews/Mexicans/Catholics/redheads/people under 6 feet/whatever, instead of the no guns sign.

And yet they freely discriminate against the lawful carrying of a concealed weapon. Why? Because it is politically and semi-culturally acceptable to do so. This is reprehensible, and why I am absolutely rigid on the enumerated rights from the Constitution, the foundational law of this country.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
I have become seriously weary of this argument. If a business - regardless of size - is open to the public, then they cannot discriminate. Imagine what would happen if your local, family-owned hardware store put up a sign saying No Blacks/Jews/Mexicans/Catholics/redheads/people under 6 feet/whatever, instead of the no guns sign.

And yet they freely discriminate against the lawful carrying of a concealed weapon. Why? Because it is politically and semi-culturally acceptable to do so. This is reprehensible, and why I am absolutely rigid on the enumerated rights from the Constitution, the foundational law of this country.

Yes, but as a Libertarian, I have to say that business owners still have rights as individuals, and may choose whether they want a weapon in their establishment or not.  And you have the right to not go there.  The expression of my rights shouldn't limit yours in your own business.  If they want to limit my right to carry anywhere off their property, then they're going to get a fight, but on their property, it's their rules.

I just applied for work at a company that won't allow for any visible tattoos and has a limit of one piercing per ear, no piercings visible anywhere else.  My tattoos are covered by my pants and I haven't worn more than 2 earrings in ages.  If I didn't want to abide by those rules, then I could apply elsewhere.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
Yes, but as a Libertarian, I have to say that business owners still have rights as individuals, and may choose whether they want a weapon in their establishment or not.  And you have the right to not go there.  The expression of my rights shouldn't limit yours in your own business.  If they want to limit my right to carry anywhere off their property, then they're going to get a fight, but on their property, it's their rules.

I just applied for work at a company that won't allow for any visible tattoos and has a limit of one piercing per ear, no piercings visible anywhere else.  My tattoos are covered by my pants and I haven't worn more than 2 earrings in ages.  If I didn't want to abide by those rules, then I could apply elsewhere.

Individuals have rights, true, and if it were their home, I would agree. But we are talking about a business open to the public. Businesses - in spite of the SCOTUS ruling to the contrary - do NOT have rights, it's a corporate entity. They cannot eject anyone I described previously, so why are they allowed to discriminate against people exercising their lawful rights?

Libertarian or no, you have to insist on your rights or else they will be taken from you, piece by piece.

As for employment, that's not great but it is also part of the current game. Business can concoct all sorts of rules these days, but again, they discriminate because they can and can get away with it. Mainly because no one objects or pushes the matter. Libertarians in particular sit back and say what you say - it's their business and "right" - and miss the point that they ARE taking your rights and should not be able to do so so blatantly.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Individuals have rights, true, and if it were their home, I would agree. But we are talking about a business open to the public. Businesses - in spite of the SCOTUS ruling to the contrary - do NOT have rights, it's a corporate entity. They cannot eject anyone I described previously, so why are they allowed to discriminate against people exercising their lawful rights?

They're not discriminating against something that you have no control over.  They saying they don't want guns in their business, just as they may not want men/women with no shirts or teenagers with sagging pants or motorcycle riders with their helmets on, all of which are signs I've seen posted in my neck of the woods.  They can also limit the number of teenagers in their store at one time or close for a holiday that no one else celebrates.  Or keep it open on Christmas.  It's their store and they get to run it as they see fit.

Libertarian or no, you have to insist on your rights or else they will be taken from you, piece by piece.

But why are the customers rights more important than the business owners?  The customer can go elsewhere, the business owner can't.  Why can't the business owner run his business the way he sees fit?

Libertarians in particular sit back and say what you say - it's their business and "right" - and miss the point that they ARE taking your rights and should not be able to do so so blatantly.

Because we believe ALL people have rights, and in order to keep my rights, I have to respect and fight to keep others' rights, including the rights of those that I may not agree with.  No one's rights are less important than anyone else's, and that includes business owners.  You're on their turf, so they get to set the house rules.

nelson96

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »
Very well said RitaRose, I whole heartedly agree with you.  I would not agree with the decision of a business owner to ban guns in their establishment, but agree that he/she has and should have every right to do so.

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »
I wouldn't waste my time.  There are plenty of stores that don't have signs.  That's where I shop.  I don't equate not writing letters as hiding under a rock. Anti Gunners not getting my money is good enough.  Letters don't do crap but waste my time.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »
for the longest time I had boycotted Buffalo wild wings because I had read they didnt allow concealed carry, on a recent trip to Fort Smith AR, all my coworkers wanted to eat there so I went under protest, however I checked both entrances and windows and found no such sign. their wings were great!

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2013, 07:44:17 AM »
for the longest time I had boycotted Buffalo wild wings because I had read they didnt allow concealed carry, on a recent trip to Fort Smith AR, all my coworkers wanted to eat there so I went under protest, however I checked both entrances and windows and found no such sign. their wings were great!

here's a question: what if an establishment has the no guns sign on one door, but not the other? i tend to walk into the door without the sign  ::)