Author Topic: starbucks to ban firearms in stores company wide???  (Read 8065 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: starbucks to ban firearms in stores company wide???
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
i'll say this: concealed is concealed

and sometimes i do open carry because frankly, when it's 100+ outside i don't want a holster in my belt. open carry is so much more comfortable. i rarely go to starbucks as it is, i don't much care for their coffee, but i love their passion tea. and you know what? if i'm OCing and i want a passion tea i'll walk right in there (as long as there's no sign) and order my drink, and damn anyone who wants to get their panties in a twist about it.

the guy suggested it, good for him. he can run his business how he wants. while i believe he is completely anti gun based on comments in his letter, i don't know why he didn't just say 'no more guns'. it seems like he's trying to appease both sides, which like adam said, can't happen.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
I could tell you the Starbucks CEO is anti-gun before I ever read or heard anything he said. But then again, I am only looking at them from a demographic standpoint... Let's see... "Recycle tree-hugger soy vegan everything... Folk music for sale on earth friendly CDs, champion of the LGBT workforce... Started in Seattle..." OF COURSE they are not gun friendly LMFAO...

People in our country are as predictable as the bumper stickers on their cars suggest.

I listened to Rush Limbough for 10 minutes during lunch — followed by 10 minutes of NPR and just laughed. People are TOLD what they are into or not into a lot more these days than they make up their own minds. That is pretty much why I don't get along with most "groups" anymore.

You don't see too many gun-toting rednecks who also like Starbucks and Yoga. People were laughing hysterically at me when they saw me Friday morning in my power-suit with shiny, just buffed manicured fingernails (which I do myself) — and 2 hours later I am in ripped up jeans, a Miller High Life T-Shirt, Cabella's cammo hat with fishing hook clip on the bill, a belt loop knife hanging on one side and my 380 CC gun in my front pocket holster.

THEN when they asked me where I am going hunting and I said "I don't really hunt, I am going backpacking" they were REALLY puzzled *(because I am supposed to wear a bright yellow and orange clown suit from REI to go backpacking with I suppose).

I am not opposed to hunting by the way, I love to taste of dead animals. I just sit at a computer all day so my idea of a fun weekend doesn't involve sitting in a tree making no noise for 8 hours :-)
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
i'm about the same adam. i can go from all business/professional to 5.11 pants and my EDC loadout in the blink of an eye depending on what i'm doing.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
An interesting essay on the matter:

What Can Starbucks Teach Us as a Community?

http://www.pagunblog.com/2013/09/19/what-can-starbucks-teach-us-as-a-community/
Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have.
 - Ronald Reagan

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
^^^ Some excellent comments there as well.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
Starbucks CEO Howard Shultz penned an open letter to gun owners yesterday saying we're no longer welcome in his coffee shops.

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-open-letter-from-howard-schultz/1268

He won't outright ban them, since he doesn't want his employees to confront an armed person -- as if we'll suddenly kill an employee if they ask us to leave -- but he's made it clear he doesn't appreciate the safety an armed citizenry provides his customers.

So much for that Starbucks Appreciation Day held last month.

Rich

I just got finished reading his letter.

He is basically saying he wishes there to be no more VISIBLE carrying of guns in his stores --no more OPEN carry-- but that's only a pretty-please on his part rather than an uncontestable mandate. As for any request for "no more concealed carry" he didn't bother with that because he knows that the whole issue is the folks who get dizzy just because their poor eyeballs can SEE the evil gun. And I can respect his wish up to a certain point. He still hasn't changed his policy of "whatever the local laws say is fine." He is ultimately making this no-more open-carry request --a request with no more force behind it than the almighty power of the words "pretty please with sweet sugar on top"-- just so that his stores will stop being used as political footballs by BOTH sides of the issue. 

And so he wants all these Starbuck's Appreciation Days to stop. He further wants the anti-gun stuff at his stores to also stop. He just wants no more gun controversy in his stores so he can sell coffee and not be bothered with these kinds of politics.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists