Author Topic: There Couldn't Be A Better Time To Get WISER  (Read 885 times)

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
There Couldn't Be A Better Time To Get WISER
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
Taken from a MeetUp group post:

With the recent derailment of a New Jersey chemical train during a bridge collapse I thought it might be a good time to introduce WISER.

From the website…
WISER, Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders, is a system designed to assist first responders in hazardous material incidents. WISER provides a wide range of information on hazardous substances, including substance identification support, physical characteristics, human health information, and containment and suppression advice. WISER is available for download as a standalone application on Microsoft Windows PCs, Apple iPhone and iPod Touch, Google Android devices, Windows Mobile devices, BlackBerry devices, Palm OS PDAs, and via WebWISER.

http://wiser.nlm.nih.gov/

Aside from being totally free the most impressive feature about WISER is the chemical plume mapping feature. If you know your location’s latitude and longitude* and the current wind speed and direction WISER can generate a chemical plume prediction map for you. Unfortunately this feature only works on PCs and WebWISER. I can't speak for Mac, BlackBerry and Palm devices but I know for a fact that particular feature is unavailable on my Android device.

*Latitude and longitude coordinates can be determined by a GPS unit or, if you're online, by finding your present location on Google maps, carefully placing your cursor on that location and right clicking then selecting "What’s here?" The selected location’s latitude and longitude will appear in the search box at the top left of the page.