Author Topic: Ice Storm Survivors  (Read 16870 times)

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
Re: Ice Storm Survivors
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 07:18:31 AM »
As to using generators while no one else has power...I don't think I would do it to run electric lights.  I can see doing it to run the fridge, water heater, stove...stuff like that.  But, yes, if your house is lit up in the middle of a blackout, it's going to look like the "Grail-shaped beacon".  I'd stick with other options for lighting.

Something I need to do myself is either run a line from my detached garage to the house or build a generator box just outside the house.  Either one should muffle the sound enough to NOT be too noticeable.

Great posts from those who have been through this storm.  Keep 'em up!

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 09:46:57 AM »
2 Weeks would've been tough only because I was thinking the little genny would crap out any minute for the 1.5 days it was keeping us warm.  Also with only 5 gallons of gas for it on hand, I would have had to resort to siphoning from my wife's truck (all over vehicles / tractor are diesel).

Fortunately the larger genny was still under warranty and I got the parts to replace in it yesterday and its cranking out juice again.  Its headed to craigslist though now...too unreliable.  Any thoughts on what I should replace it with?

Briggs and Straton 7k home genny.  A little pricier than you may want, but it is very reliable.  Mine auto starts every friday afternoon to charge the battery and so far has started at -30 with no problem.  I wanted something very reliable as I'm gone for 2 wks at a time and the wife has a commute.  It is plumbed to our NG line.  If you don't use NG in your neck of the woods, it will work on propane as well.  I pinch my pennies, but this was important enough to spend the money as freezing pipes and well pump can be catastrophic here.  Also keep a yamaha 2500 genie in reserve that has proven to be very reliable. 

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 09:50:50 AM »
That was an AWESOME post, you have me glued to your story. I highly suggest HAM radio's for you. Can you post some pictures. So what did the guy on the quad do? Did he just walkaway or RUN. Stay safe....+1
The dude on the quad apologized all over himself and left.  I didn't round the corner with the gun up and a light in his face screaming at him to get down.  I racked the shell and stepped around the barn with the gun up at my waist and politely said "son, what the f*** do you think you're doing?"  He was a kid - maybe 25 if that old.  Scared the hell out of him.

KYFarmer, I've been thinking about your gas tank and was wondering about something.  You know that they make a sensor that is used to let a homeowner now when someone is coming down the driveway?  I'll bet that you can use it as a "peremeter" sensor to let you know if someone is close to the shed/tank if your in the house and didn't happen to notice or hear any shenanagins.  I will be buying a couple to set up and experiment with around my shed and 5th wheel trailer.  Not sure of the practicality of it, but sounds like it may work......

BP

KyFarmer

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 10:37:53 AM »
That was an AWESOME post, you have me glued to your story. I highly suggest HAM radio's for you. Can you post some pictures. So what did the guy on the quad do? Did he just walkaway or RUN. Stay safe....+1
The dude on the quad apologized all over himself and left.  I didn't round the corner with the gun up and a light in his face screaming at him to get down.  I racked the shell and stepped around the barn with the gun up at my waist and politely said "son, what the f*** do you think you're doing?"  He was a kid - maybe 25 if that old.  Scared the hell out of him.

KYFarmer, I've been thinking about your gas tank and was wondering about something.  You know that they make a sensor that is used to let a homeowner now when someone is coming down the driveway?  I'll bet that you can use it as a "peremeter" sensor to let you know if someone is close to the shed/tank if your in the house and didn't happen to notice or hear any shenanagins.  I will be buying a couple to set up and experiment with around my shed and 5th wheel trailer.  Not sure of the practicality of it, but sounds like it may work......

BP

BP...good thought!  I'll look into it.  It would certainly be cheaper than the alternative I was considering which is getting an underground tank for my desiel and gas.  I can get a grant to do it, so the out of pocket wouldn't be that bad - but the pain in the tail costs would be substantial.

KyFarmer

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
KY any way to get some pics posted?
I've got some - but there's not really "damage" pics.  I fancy myself as a bit of a photographer, so the ones I have are kind of artsy fartsy.  I'll post them if someone wants, but they might not be what people are after.

Someone will have to tell me the procedure on the forum for posting them.

Offline aakelley

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 06:13:31 PM »
I have one of those MURS radio alert boxes that works on IR and sends a signal down to the house.  Got it on amazon last summer when people started reporting their barns being broken into and saddles missing.  Has worked like a champ.  Got it on amazon and I think they still have them.

Cool thing is the transceiver is hidden in a little birdhouse, so it is pretty hard to know that you're 'being watched'.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »
I fancy myself as a bit of a photographer, so the ones I have are kind of artsy fartsy.  I'll post them if someone wants, but they might not be what people are after.

I would love to see them.  Artsy Fartsy or not, they are, at least as I understand, your view and interpretation of the ice storm.  I think that while damage pics have the "Wow" factor, the artsy fartsy show the "hope" side of survival and what your view of a survival situation is! 

Here are some decent image posting instructions:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1138.0

If you would rather, I would be glad to host them and post them for you if you want to email them to me. 

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
I have one of those MURS radio alert boxes that works on IR and sends a signal down to the house.  Got it on amazon last summer when people started reporting their barns being broken into and saddles missing.  Has worked like a champ.  Got it on amazon and I think they still have them.

Cool thing is the transceiver is hidden in a little birdhouse, so it is pretty hard to know that you're 'being watched'.

Awsome, just gotta find out how well they work in the cold......

6xddx6

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
This place has good deals on the MURS Alert equipment including IR detectors and the magnetic probe versions:

http://mursradio.googlepages.com

They advertise on SurvivalBlog.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
Appreciate that 6xddx6!

BP