Author Topic: Fiber Arts Support Thread  (Read 27305 times)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
  • Chase the wind and touch the sky
Fiber Arts Support Thread
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »
After clicking the "Find Similar Members" button - I found many people wanting to learn fiber arts or expand their skills in this area.   Perhaps we can support and encourage each other?

I'm familiar with quite a few of the fiber arts (spinning on a wheel and spindle, some fiber prep, tablet weaving, a bit of weaving on a floor loom (used to have one), knitting, nalbinding (a pre-knitting yarn craft), crochet, a bit of sewing (machine and hand sewing), some embroidery, and some dyeing) and am willing to help where I can.   Any one else interested in helping out this way?  Anyone needing help right now as you work on your skills?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Fiber Arts Support Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
Cedar <----- Fiber Junkie

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »
Nice to meet you Cedar!  What fiber arts are your faves?  Anything you haven't tried yet in fiber arts?

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
I am also a fiber junky with a lanolin allergy.  No Wool, alpaca, cashmere or other animal fibers for me :'(   

I do a lot of sewing and I am learning to crochet.  I will be getting knitting lessons form a friend or two.  I would love to be able to make silk or silk blend sweaters since I can't find any in a style I like in a price that isn't ridiculous. 

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »
Ok I used to crochet and a teeny bit of knitting.. Why is it in crochet that I cannot seem to change thread colors anymore.  Anyone have a good easy link to show me? 

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
PorcupineKate nice to meet you!

Silk is fun!  If you ever get the chance, I'd encourage you to try spinning it and making your own blends.  It's so different from the other fibers!  Spinning your own may be the most economical.  (And we all need another hobby right? *wink*)

I'm sorry you have the allergy!!! :(   Have you tried alpaca and llama?  As I understand it, they don't have lanolin.  (I have friends who raise both types of animals and have spun both fibers.)  Now, the animals both roll in the dirt quite a bit and if the fiber's not washed well, that really could cause problems.  If you've tried them, there may be something else to your allergy.  But I'm obviously not an allergy expert.  Just hoping that maybe you could play with some animal fibers.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »
Ok I used to crochet and a teeny bit of knitting.. Why is it in crochet that I cannot seem to change thread colors anymore.  Anyone have a good easy link to show me?

Does this video help? 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »
Nice to meet you Cedar!  What fiber arts are your faves?  Anything you haven't tried yet in fiber arts?

What I like to do:
  • Sheep to Shawl
  • Natural plant dyes, especially from the medieval period
  • Sock knitting with "Faire Isle" and Salish type patterns
  • Inkle Looms
  • Spinning on my Ashford Traditional mostly, but have a Louet S15 floating about in Canada with a friend
  • Not so much on my drop spindles
  • Weaving on my floor looms (beginner)

Cochenial dyed yarns, yes the green one too is topdyed Cochenial over Indigo

Indigo dyed yarn

My latest sock... and I need to work on a mate this winter (I hope). Not blocked yet.

My Ashford that I have had since 1996?

What I would like to do: LOTS!!!! Including retting Nettle fiber

Cedar

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
Does this video help? 
I subscribe to Mikey's youtubes & The Crochet Crowd. His tutorials are so easy to follow. My latest projects have been the ear flap hats w/braids. He has tutorials for the hats from newborn to adult.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 07:15:42 AM »
I knit, sew and know how to do some basic embroidery. 

Although I've knit a few sweaters I like mostly "brainless in front of the TV" type knitting--blankets, washcloths, scarves, "5 hour baby sweaters", basic slippers.  To my shame I've never learned how to do intarsia-just striped ;)

For sewing although I can follow a pattern and have made various clothing items I mostly do repairs & alterations.  Fabric is so costly & clothing is (at this point) cheap. 

It's been years since I've done embroidery, but I do know some stitches and have done a few projects.

I'd probably do a lot more of all of it if we could resolve this issue of my hands going numb.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 07:19:12 AM »

I'm sorry you have the allergy!!! :(   Have you tried alpaca and llama?  As I understand it, they don't have lanolin.  (I have friends who raise both types of animals and have spun both fibers.)  Now, the animals both roll in the dirt quite a bit and if the fiber's not washed well, that really could cause problems.  If you've tried them, there may be something else to your allergy.  But I'm obviously not an allergy expert.  Just hoping that maybe you could play with some animal fibers.

Sadly I am allergic to both Alpaca and Llama too.  I discovered this when I spent 2 weeks in Peru.  All that great low cost alpaca and I can't wear it. 

I will have to look into spinning silk.  It may be a while ...

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
@Cedar - such lovely yarn you dyed and a great sock too!

@Frugal Upstate - I hear you on the brainless knitting.  I usually do vanilla socks so I have just the simple knitting!

@Soccer Grannie - I'll have to check out his other tutorials.  It's been quite a while since I've done crochet.

@PorcupineKate - Doh! :(  I'm sorry!   Silk is lovely and available in many forms.  Let us know when you decide to try it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:55:01 AM by Avlor »

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »

Avlor, thanks for starting this thread, I was going to and you beat me to it!  >:(  ;) Cool.

I make my living as a quilter, specifically a longarm quilter, and would be delighted to contribute anything helpful in that skill set. Also general sewing subjects as well as cross-stitch and needlepoint (in a former life I worked as a cross-stitch designer) so fire away with any questions re: all of the above. If I don't know the answer I can probably get it from friends in the industry.

And you better believe I'll be checking the fiber arts subjects often to pick y'all's brains about knitting and weaving. They're not on my 13, but I could sure use a little massive impovement in both areas.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »
@LJH - (I'll  do my best to resist  saying  "nanner, nanner".  *wink* )   It's  fun  to  know  you were  thinking  the same thing!

Ooh, quilting -  I've only tried that once. Such a delightful craft!

---
@everyone
 You all  are so inspiring!  You're making me want to try so many more crafts!

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 09:03:49 PM »
@LJH - (I'll  do my best to resist  saying  "nanner, nanner".  *wink* )   It's  fun  to  know  you were  thinking  the same thing!

Ooh, quilting -  I've only tried that once. Such a delightful craft!

---
@everyone
 You all  are so inspiring!  You're making me want to try so many more crafts!

Great minds, eh?  ;D And ditto everyone being so inspiring! I just posted my 13 and haven't read through all of the others yet, but what I've seen is impressive. Onward!

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
Search YouTube for crochet tutorials from "bobwilson123" - these are good, too.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »

My latest sock... and I need to work on a mate this winter (I hope). Not blocked yet.
Cedar
Would you share the sock pattern?

Offline GeoLady

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »
Hi! I'm new on the forums, and I'm a knitting junkie. I've been knitting for 7 years, and have yet to really knit anything besides socks. I really want to broaden my horizons and knit a sweater. I also want to get my hands on a spinning wheel and learn to spin!

A GREAT site for knitters of all stages is http://www.knittinghelp.com. This site has lots of videos of various stitches, and most show the continental and english styles. Most of the videos on this site are free, but they do have a "premium" area of their site. I don't know what's in that section, as I've never had the money to join, but maybe someone else here knows.

Another great site for finding patterns, researching yarns, and socializing with other knitters and crocheters is http://www.ravelry.com. This site is totally free, unless you want to buy one of the patterns for sale. There are LOTS of free patterns too though!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »
Would you share the sock pattern?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I can't? It is in my head!

But...

I knit 28 in the round K2P2 for 18 or so rows.

Then the clover is K1C, then it think it is/was K8, then K2C, K1, K2C
Then under the K1C is K3C, then under the 2 is K3C, it was K2C and then under that is K1C.

The Arrow is K2C, then K2, then K2C ect
on the next row, you skip the first and then do K2C, then K2, then K2C ect,  to get your arrow, at the halfway point reverse what you are doing.

Did that help you any or mess you up?

Cedar

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 06:45:20 PM »
I love all types of fiber arts... embroidery (learned on tea towels as a kid), quilting, knitting, sewing (primarily decorating stuff now -- made new curtains for my Mom's kitchen this weekend), used to do crewel and cross-stitch when it was more popular. I learned the basics of spinning as a kid (my dad made a spinning wheel, so I learned to use it), but have never learned to weave at all...

I'm looking forward to learning more from all you talented folks...

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »

@GeoLady - ooh, thanks for sharing!  I hadn't seen knittinghelp.com before.  I'm there with you on the love of ravelry!  You can find groups that focus on practically any craft for support and help.

Let us know when you are ready to try spinning!

@LvsChant - It's wonderful to see that you've also tried so many fiber arts crafts!  :)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »
So what fiber arts skill/goal is everyone working on first? 

I'm working on "Increasing my knowledge of Nalbinding" right now.  (Nalbinding is a pre-knitting technique done with a needle.)  The goal will take me all year - since I'll participate in the Ravelry group challenges.  The first stitch challenge is for the ├ůsle stitch.  I need to figure out a small project that I can do, since the stitch is hard on my thumb.  (But it makes such warm, dense fabric!)  Right now I'm thinking about doing a small pouch with a flap top.  Any better suggestions for a very small project (aka socks are too big)?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »
So what fiber arts skill/goal is everyone working on first? 

Getting my cabin done so I can set up the looms?
I am currently working on dishrags while I am between homes.

Cedar

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »
I am learning to crochet.  First project is a simple scarf and I want to make a throw blanket next.

I am also teaching a couple of high school students how to sew from pattern.  We are making fleece hats for our First Robotics team. 

I am trying to find out when I can get knitting lessons from a friend.  We are trading skills.  I am teaching her shooting skills so she can become an instructor and she is going to teach me to knit.  She also taught me how to can last year. :)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »
I want to try tawashi--a dish scrubbing pad you are supposed to make with scratchy acrylic yarn (which most of us to our shame have stashed somewhere because we couldn't stand to get rid of it)

There are tons of crochet patterns out there--but not as many knitting ones.  I caved and bought this one for just under $2 because it looks so cool and I couldn't figure out how to make the knot on my own  :P

Tawashi Knot on Ravelry

Offline GeoLady

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »
I really want to get into spinning. I have a drop spindle, but it goes so slow! I'm just too impatient. I have a question about spinning wheels. I'm left-handed. Do I need a wheel made specifically for a lefty, or is it an ambidextrous sort of tool? I knit just like a righty (English-style), but crochet as a lefty. Any recommendations on brands/models? Needed accessories (carders, etc.)? Thanks!

~GeoLady~

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »
@GeoLady - regarding wheels - it depends on the type of wheel you get.  Some like an ashford traditional, I feel, tend to be right handed wheels.  There may be an option to be able to get one for left handed, but I haven't seen one.  Wheels like the Ashford Joy and the Merlin Tree Roadbug and Hitchhiker have the orifice centered in the middle. (Though the roadbug can be ordered to be left footed specifically if you get one that's a single treadle -  if that makes a difference to you.)  If you end up buying from a company or a store - ask about the fact that you're left handed.

Try out as many wheels as you can in your price range - there are so many wheels out there these days.  Consider if you want to travel with your wheel.  I had an ashford traditional and didn't like traveling with it and felt I always needed to turn in my seat.  So I sold it and bought a Roadbug (was in my pricerange and very small and lightweight). 

regarding tools - it depends on what you want to do.  Do you enjoy fiber prep?  If so hand cards or a drum carder or wool combs may be a fun investment.  (I'd start with hand cards.)  But if you don't and you just enjoy spinning, then prepared fiber may be the best way (and no extra tools).

Hope that's of help!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 06:59:06 PM »
I also have fiber arts for one of my 13 skills.  I have done crochet, cross stitch, sewing and machine quilting in the past (I don't have the patience to hand quilt) and now I'm looking to advance my knitting skills.

I've known how to knit in general for close to 30 years, but I never did anything much with it, so I didn't know much more than knit, purl and bind off.  I made my mom a scarf for Christmas, which forced me to learn cables, and then I made some booties for a baby shower last weekend, so I learned long tail cast on and short rows.  I'm still hoping to learn to work from a chart and a few other knitting related skills.

Glad to see you all here!

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
@RitaRose1945 - Good for you!  There are so many beautiful charted designs - it will be worth the effort!

---

Sorry all for being absent much of the week!  (It's girl scout cookie time here and my hubby as sick.  I had very little energy left.  I almost hate to say it, but I'm looking forward to the blizzard we're expecting in eastern SD later tonight!)

Offline PreppingMom

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
Jumping in here a bit late =) I have Fiber Arts as a 13Skills goal, too! Mine is to get an outbuilding on our property set up as a "studio". It was my husband's "shop" many years ago and has been abandoned by him for other pursuits. As it is an unheated building I haven't moved in yet to get started. My table looms, spinning wheels, sewing machines, quilting frames, and a myriad of other fiber arts support items are still in the house, tucked here and there and not being used. I am mainly a crocheter, have done some sewing, very little knitting, some spinning and some weaving. I love the idea of a support community to share the joys and challenges of fiber art projects. I love seeing what other people are doing, so hope you all will post pictures as Cedar has done so we can oooh and aaah! =)