Author Topic: Fiber Arts Support Thread  (Read 27554 times)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: Fiber Arts Support Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Okay, so here's my latest (definitely not my greatest) where I learned short rows and the long tail cast on (I hope the image isn't monstrously huge):

Never mind.  Couldn't make the image link work.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
  • Chase the wind and touch the sky
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
RitaRose1945 - can you just post the url to the image?  We'd love to see!

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 03:34:20 PM »
@PreppingMom - How exciting to be able to setup a studio!!!  We'll want to see your progress too!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
RitaRose1945 - can you just post the url to the image?  We'd love to see!

Hopefull this will work:

http://thatwriterbroad.com/?attachment_id=249

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »
Yay!  Yes that works just fine.

Those are darling little booties!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »
Thanks!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 08:47:18 AM »
Soooo cute! Thanks for sharing, RR.

Offline House of Honyacks

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 12:49:05 AM »
Another fiber junkie here!  I knit, but I want to add crochet, spinning, weaving, and nalbinding t my resume, but not all of those are on my skills list for this year!  I am also learning to sew.

I am just joining the forum, because I don't find this board very intuitive.  Maybe we should set up a 13 Skills group on Rav?

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »
I've always wanted to learn spinning. . .

I knew this would be a dangerous thread--there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to learn!

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
Yea, verily to not enough time to learn it all!!!

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 11:42:59 AM »
What an excellent list of skills to learn!  I can definitely help with nalbinding when you're ready!

Offline GeoLady

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 05:40:43 PM »
With school keeping me so busy, I haven't had time to knit in weeks! I'm going to make a concerted effort to do some knitting tomorrow. I have plenty to do:

A moebius cowl
Several pairs of socks
Several dishcloths for a neighbor who is getting married

Plus 3 skeins of yarn on the way, two of which are for a shawl and one of which is for another pair of socks! I've had a bunch of socks get holes in them recently, and I need to either mend the holes or knit some new ones.

GeoLady

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 08:36:25 AM »
Darning is another skill that many have never learned in this day and time. I remember when I was a newly-wed, living in Germany with my husband's family.... his German step-grandmother decided I needed to learn to darn socks. It was very easy to get darning material in the stores there, so I had a nice stash of various darning thread colors. I haven't bothered to do it with my boys' socks. But, for my hand-knit varieties, I would certainly darn them.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
It's delightful to hear about everyone's projects!

@LvsChant - I haven't tried darning yet.  Any tips or sites to recommend?  (I'm considering trying it for my son's fave "smartwool" socks.)

Offline GeoLady

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »
Darning really isn't difficult, especially if you're not too worried about getting a stitch pattern to match. If you Google how to darn a sock, you'll find tons of tutorials.

GeoLady
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:06:44 PM by GeoLady »

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
Thanks!  Doesn't look too hard at all. 

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »
Fitting a crocheted hat/beanie: I found this on YouTube. At about 17:23 into the tutorial, there's a mathematical formula to get a good fit for different size beanies/hats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Vgz8mD1HQ
Wooohooo: My son is giving me a buncha camo yarn!  :knitting:

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I didn't make this - just wanted to share the pic.

Offline wildwm

• Prepper
  • Members Support Brigade
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:08 AM »
I'm very new to 13skills and this forum, but not to self-reliance/preparedness.  I am planning to learn spinning this year.  It has been a wish of mine for many years but life was too complicated and filled with things like learning soap making and improving my canning/food preservation skills.  Any suggestions on spinning wheels for beginners would be great.  Weaving will be added in the next year or two.  I have a craft house/workshop to put it in but I'm still working on higher priority items.

Offline padre35

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »

Ran across the DIY project and it just seemed so useful:

http://www.designsponge.com/2011/08/diy-project-vintage-book-travel-tech-organizer.html

With all of the gadgets we have to mess around with today, a book cover with elastic on one side to hold everything from an Ipod to a smart phone with another side to hold more mundane things just seems really handy to have tucked in a bag.

I'd almost bet one could make some money selling them, the materials are cheap, it is more the skill at attaching the elastic and inside covers that creates the value.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
Ran across the DIY project and it just seemed so useful:

http://www.designsponge.com/2011/08/diy-project-vintage-book-travel-tech-organizer.html

With all of the gadgets we have to mess around with today, a book cover with elastic on one side to hold everything from an Ipod to a smart phone with another side to hold more mundane things just seems really handy to have tucked in a bag.

I'd almost bet one could make some money selling them, the materials are cheap, it is more the skill at attaching the elastic and inside covers that creates the value.

Clever pattern. And it would be a good starter project for someone just learning too, but I have to add that it's illegal to sell items make from someone else's pattern, commercial or otherwise, unless specifically given permission or license.

For instance, Disney fabrics. I cannot buy fabric yardage printed with Mickey or Goofy or whatever (licensed by Disney) and make items to sell, I can only use it for personal projects. I can't buy a quilt pattern or book and use it to make a finished quilt for sale. People do it all the time but it's a risk. Disney in particular is really hardassed about it and will sic their lawyers on cottage industry types using their stuff. Ditto some quilt designers. Just an FYI FWIW.  :)   

Offline padre35

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
Clever pattern. And it would be a good starter project for someone just learning too, but I have to add that it's illegal to sell items make from someone else's pattern, commercial or otherwise, unless specifically given permission or license.

For instance, Disney fabrics. I cannot buy fabric yardage printed with Mickey or Goofy or whatever (licensed by Disney) and make items to sell, I can only use it for personal projects. I can't buy a quilt pattern or book and use it to make a finished quilt for sale. People do it all the time but it's a risk. Disney in particular is really hardassed about it and will sic their lawyers on cottage industry types using their stuff. Ditto some quilt designers. Just an FYI FWIW.  :)

Oh sure, those are also copyrighted images, the pattern I posted was hosted on DIY network which means it is meant for copying w/n copyright or TM.

Personally I find the all black fabric a bit off of the mark, would prefer a brown/green mix and different weave to hold some bulkier stuff..like a spare laptop or smart phone battery.

And there was no real space for that other accessory of modern life..the phone charger cable.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
@wildwm - Spinning wheels are such a thing of personal preference.  many people start with something like an Ashford traditional - because of the price and they look like what everyone thinks of as a spinning wheel.  But try wheels before you buy.  See if they are comfortable for you.  I sold my ashford traddy because I wanted something more comfortable to spin on. Also consider if you want to travel with your wheel.  I take my Roadbug to spin with me at the knit ins every week. New wheels generally range from about $350 to $1000.  I know that's not recommendations.  But I hope it's helpful, none-the-less.

Offline wildwm

• Prepper
  • Members Support Brigade
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
I know that's not recommendations.  But I hope it's helpful, none-the-less.

It does, thanks.  My challenge right now is trying some out.  I've been very unsuccessful in finding anyone selling any within reasonable driving distance.  I may wind up having to drive to Atlanta or Houston and they are both 8 hours away in different directions.  A few years back I found one in an antique shop near here and nearly bought it but I wasn't sure everything was there and neither were the people running the shop.  At times I regret that but I hate throwing money into a potential black hole.

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
Antique spinning wheels are usually tough to learn to spin on.  So don't regret your choice.  :)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »
How is everyone coming along on your fiber arts challenges?

I'd been knitting like crazy to deal with stress and finished my first handspun socks.  I need to spin on a higher ratio so there's more twist.  My yarn kept splitting as I knit it.  I should have known better!  But I like my new squishy soft socks.  :)

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
I read this in a quilting newsletter today - A little off topic but those who sew will understand.

Q: What is a "frogstitch"?

A: This is a cute term, though I must say, not much fun! A frogstitch, as in rip-it, rip-it, rip-it, is when you have to undo a seam.

Back to regular programming ...   :knitting:

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
Yeah not fun.  But I've done my fair share of frogging in knitting!  (Nalbinding I'll only "frog" so much, then I toss it.  It doesn't undo easily.)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »
*peeking in to the thread*

How is everyone coming along on their fiber arts goals and projects? 

I'm getting back to mine now that things are settling down a bit after girl scout cookie time.  (I'm currently obsessing over making socks and am in the middle of making 2 pair (a no brain needed pair and a striped pair) and contemplating a 3rd (from new handspun - which might help me complete one of my skills).)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 08:15:52 PM »
Been teaching my WWOOFer how to set up an inkle loom the last few nights.

Cedar