Author Topic: Fiber Arts Support Thread  (Read 27007 times)

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
  • Chase the wind and touch the sky
Re: Fiber Arts Support Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
Good for you!  (I'd bet your WWOOfer is learning more than 13 skills!)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
Good for you!  (I'd bet your WWOOfer is learning more than 13 skills!)

I hope so since he is up here for 3+ months.

Cedar

Offline Avlor

• Prepper
  • Chase the wind and touch the sky
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
ok - had to share.  I just saw an article on PVC looms!  (http://www.pvcloom.com/

(I'm having conniption fits that hubby isn't here to help me start one this very minute!!!!  WANT WANT WANT!)

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »
Over the last 1.5 yrs I've been buying a lot of yarn and extra sets of crochet hooks. Have made everybody in the family warm hats and most of them now have a good warm blanket. I've spent a lot of time learning more and collecting patterns. We've been to 2 yarn factory tent sales and bought yarn (acrylic, cotton and wool) for less than half retail price. Yep, I have quite a stash of yarn. I also have a large stash of fabric, thread and sewing notions. Only regret is that I can't get anybody to let me teach them how to sew, crochet or quilt.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2015, 03:28:11 PM »
Quilting and local fabric shops run classes on how to quilt.  Try and find a local shop that specializes in quilting.  They often run classes on all sorts of projects from tote bags up to king sized quilts. 

Many sewing and vacuum shops run classes on how to use your sewing machine.  I took one of these classes when I got my new machine and the class had several students who had older machines who were just learning to sew.   

Chain fabric stores like Joann's run classes too.  I haven't taken any there since I learned to sew clothing as teenager. 

Youtube has an endless supply of videos on how to sew.  I am learning to quilt for the first time and I am finding them very helpful since patchwork and quilting use different techniques than old school clothing construction.  Many of them explain the how and why of a technique or material.  I have been watching Missouri Star Quilt Co. and Quilty beginner quilting videos the last couple of days. 

Starting with simple projects is the easiest way to learn.  Before I start quilting the throw blanket I am working on I an practicing by making pot holders, place mats, and tote bags.  All of these project including the blanket will be Christmas presents. 

I have been adding to my fabric stash by finding great deals at thrift stores.  This is not a good idea for someone new to sewing.  You need to be able to figure out what kind of fabric you have.  Different fabrics are for different uses and knowing the fiber content is important. You can damage fabric and your iron if it is too hot for the fabric.  There are different needles for different kinds of fabric along with different kinds of thread.  Most importantly different fabrics have a different thickness, stretch and drape which can effect how your project turns out. 

Good luck

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »
Only regret is that I can't get anybody to let me teach them how to sew, crochet or quilt.

I want people (men, women, teens and kids) in our family to let ME TEACH THEM ... they have no interest in learning. :(

I'm a great-grandma and have been sewing, crocheting, knitting, quilting, etc since I was a child.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »
It is true SG... I had a niece who was begging to learn to knit, so I got everything ready... nice large-size needles, scrap knitting worsted weight yarn... we sat down and began... after less than 15 minutes of work, she had enough, found it too hard and gave up. She wouldn't even try any more. Crazy.

IF she asks me again when she is older, I'll consider it, but I might suggest she try watching youtube vids... haha