Author Topic: Livin's 13 skills - Blogging  (Read 6667 times)

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
Livin's 13 skills - Blogging
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »
(mods...im assuming my link is ok here, feel free lock this if its not)

So ive always wanted to get into blogging and just never pulled the trigger until getting motivated by Jack and 13 skills.
I did a lot of research on how to use wordpress, cPanel and SEO and have finally launched my site www.ready4itall.org. I still have very little content posted as I just today finished up my beginning setup and layout of the blog.

It is a daily preparedness news/video site that I plan on updating with several articles, videos and self-written original content daily.

To anyone else looking to get into blogging....Feel free to ask me any questions on the subjects of blogging and SEO...I will try to answer them to the best of my limited ability...we can learn together :)

Additionally any comments or critiques of my site are more than welcome.

Thanks again TSP for getting me motivated.

Offline AllYouNeedIsLove

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Livin's 13 skills - Blogging
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »
Awesome site presentation! I'm very impressed. My google blog is lookin' kind of crappy in comparison ;)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:33:06 AM »
:popcorn:

So I remember to come back later :)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »
Great start!  I'm looking forward to finding 107 minutes to watch the permaculture video you linked.  Keep it up!

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »
I'm having a lot of fun and learning a ton of stuff doing this. Today I posted an original article about water storage, got indexed by google and set up a mobile admin panel plugin thats really easy to use on my iphone. It lets me do pretty much anything I can do on the desktop version of wp. It looks like ive picked up about 90 unique visitors in the last couple days (thanks TSP!!)

Got my facebook page integrated...and hit a wall.
My theme didnt have an auto-post to facebook option so i used a plugin that was supposed to "seamlessly" add my new posts to my facebook page. I got the plugin and the custom facebook app set up, got the configurations right, tried it out...its using my personal FB account to post to the page...which i dont want. Apparently a page admin cant be a FB developer, only individuals can....which means I cant autopost as the page's name.

Finally got fed up and deactivated the plugin, so I have to manually update this FB page for every new piece of content I have... which I really dont care to do.

Anyone have any advice on what I can do for this? It seems to me there should be a very easy way to do this and im just missing iit.

thanks again everyone

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 04:24:19 AM »
I always manually post to Facebook.  That way you can customize your status update to draw more people in, or use a photo etc (sometimes the auto plugin things will draw a picture from your sidebar instead of the post etc.). If you want tone able to schedule things look into hoot suite-it's a free program that can be used not only to monitor multiple accts (FB, Twitter, Linked in etc) but you can also schedule updates for the future.  So if you wrote a couple if days posts ahead of time you could set up all the status updates ahead of time.

I do use an auto tweet plug in, but with the new and very specific FTC guidelines for disclosing sponsorship in tweets I need to uninstall it and start doing it manually.  Sigh.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:38:23 PM »
I always manually post to Facebook.  That way you can customize your status update to draw more people in, or use a photo etc (sometimes the auto plugin things will draw a picture from your sidebar instead of the post etc.). If you want tone able to schedule things look into hoot suite-it's a free program that can be used not only to monitor multiple accts (FB, Twitter, Linked in etc) but you can also schedule updates for the future.  So if you wrote a couple if days posts ahead of time you could set up all the status updates ahead of time.

I do use an auto tweet plug in, but with the new and very specific FTC guidelines for disclosing sponsorship in tweets I need to uninstall it and start doing it manually.  Sigh.

I ended up taking off the social integration stuff. I'm manually posting to FB now. It's just easier in the long run. Plus, I've subscribed to a lot of FB prepper groups and am posting links there. Im averaging about 40 visitors a day now through various traffic sources and even have a few organic uniques from google already. SEO is something I really need to start focusing more heavily on moving forward. Posting links on FB and forums is great and all but I dont ever want to walk that line of being too spammy and I really need to focus on getting a decent traffic flow without having to go out an actively "solicit" it.

Still trying to add content daily, which is proving tougher than I thought it would be..just need to get into a schedule to do it, which is tough with the 2 little ones and family time. So far, im definitely happy seeing the initial results im getting and im really looking forward to getting enough daily traffic to take a real shot at monetizing the site.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 08:07:25 AM »
Just giving an update if anyone was interested in this.

stalled out on making content for about 2 weeks but am still going strong with about 50 uniques a day. Adsense has started to make a couple bucks and ive set up twitter, tumblr and pinterest accounts for the site and have began sharing my daily content on there. Pinterest, surprisingly, gave me a few uniques within a couple hours of setting up my account there so im pretty excited to see how all these social sites together do traffic-wise.

I think ive got a pretty decent system set up now. find a topic I want to write about, research low competition/high monthly search keywords, create content using those keywords, post a link to the content to 4 related and active facebook groups, post on twitter, tumblr and pinterest. Im hoping this new strategy can get me to my 1st goal of 100 uniques a day. Organic Google traffic takes time, and I only recently started paying close attention to SEO so im hoping that will start bringing in some more traffic there. For anyone thats curious, facebook has been the source of about 80% of my visitors.

Once im at that 100 uniques a day mark im going to release a digital product ive been working on for the site and try to recruit some affiliates, which will hopefully start driving more good traffic to the site. Might be able to then approach some vendors for some swag to do a giveaway contest...which should help me get more direct likes to my fanpage so I dont have to use outside groups to post links on anymore. I'm definitely trying to stay away from paid advertising, which, along with me being lazy the last 2 weeks has stalled the growth. Im not really prepared to do paid advertising until I determine a realistic cost per visitor.

as always, any critiques, comments or suggestions are more than welcome!

thanks!

Offline Breal191

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »
Loved the presentation and quality of your blog! Great job!

Awesome site presentation! I'm very impressed. My google blog is lookin' kind of crappy in comparison ;)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »
Glad to see an update and that it's going well for you!

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys...yeah its really starting to take off and grow. Ive been putting 2-3 hours of work in on it every day. Making new posts, finding new traffic sources, networking with other bloggers... its a lot of work....but its finally starting to pay off with a good amount of traffic and even a little bit of money. Yesterday alone I broke 8,000 unique visitors. Im making plans to make ready4itall.org maybe not a full-time job, but a nice supplement income and a redundancy plan to my 9-5 gig.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:24:11 AM »
Hey guys, just wanted to give a final update to this thread.

ready4itall.org is still going strong. Ive been able to put up 88 articles to the site since it started. Its not making huge money by any means but it definitely has been a welcome supplement to our income. 

I just wanted to take a second and thank Jack, everyone involved with 13 skills and the TSP audience as a whole for motivating me to get this off the ground. You guys are the best.