Author Topic: Is there an App for scanning books of my personal library?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline yarrow

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Is there an App for scanning books of my personal library?
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:33:35 AM »

I was wondering if there was an app that one could use to put together a list of books I own?

I would like the ability to scan bar codes and possibly put the list into Excel.

It would be a benefit for me in many ways.... time saver in entering everything by hand, knowing what I have, and what I want or need.

Any experiences would be helpful. Overwhelmed when doing engine searches.

Offline Packrat_Junkie

• Prepper
Re: Is there an App for scanning books of my personal library?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »
http://www.librarything.com/ is what I use to keep track of my library of books. You can enter your books by the ISBN code and it will show your book cover even with the right edition. After you enter your books, you can then download a file to keep or print out. I found this on a blog of a person who lost their house in a fire and then had to list what their library contained from memory! Since it is kept online, it is available if you needed it for your insurance should you find yourself in a similar situation. It might interact with your smartphone to let you scan the book, but I don't have that smart of a phone.  ::)

Offline ScottyK

• Prepper
  • "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..."
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
+1 for the librarything recommend. That's what i use to track my personal library (over 700 books).

One nice feature is the "tags". give each book one or more unique tags, then you can pull up a list of all books with that tag. Some of my books have the tag "survival". In an emergency, I can pull up the list, and know which books I wanted to take with me.

Also tracking the books I've read so far this year with the tag "2013".

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
+1

That is just what I need for my house insurance too.