Author Topic: Developing Critical Thinking Skills for Preparedness  (Read 1234 times)

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
Developing Critical Thinking Skills for Preparedness
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:00:02 AM »
One of the life-improvements I have been trying to develop lately (and one that has been a source of much frustration) is my critical thinking. I admire Jack greatly for his ability to work through concepts critically and arrive at the "right" answers.

So my question is, how can I develop better critical thinking? I try to look at all angles before coming up with solutions/answers/opinions, but I feel that I'm often missing many - and I mean MANY - pieces of the puzzle. So many times I smack myself wishing I had thought of a point or counterpoint that someone else brings up.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions? Especially in a crisis situation, being able to use critical thinking is paramount. Of course, having good critical thinking skills for general prep is great, too.

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Developing Critical Thinking Skills for Preparedness
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
relax! You will always be missing things of the puzzle. Else you would be the wizer man on earth.
Doing what you do, is liek prepping. You have already positioned yuorself above 90% of the others.

A way that may work is search for the downsides of any situation, and then the upsides. usually we are biased towards the good part, especially if it si of our doing.
So for such athought experiment you will work against your favor. but do not overdo it, cos yuo will end up like me....(sometime i am considered a nay-sayer just for talking on the off-side of things)

I believe the key is to get into otheers peopel shoes, but that ain't easy. You fot to mingle with them and learn their thinking algorythms.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:25:34 AM »
One of the skills that has helped me is to remove the "emotional" aspect from the situation. Too many times it has swayed my decision for an unfortunate out come. I had the right answer but ignored it because of outside influences or didn't follow through because I wanted to keep peace in the family. Suggest you start with the smaller decisions, make them and then over time examine what happened with a critical eye. After a time you will start to look at problems or situations differently to begin with. It's all good, enjoy the journey. ;)

endurance

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »
There's a number of different kinds of thinking that go into survival.  Some of my critical thinking skills came from taking challenging philosophy classes in college, some came from learning about how the brain works in decision making tasks while under stress, and some comes from immersing myself in stressful situations and debriefing after the crisis is over.  Taking a college class on Thoreau where we had to look at Walden and dissect the many layers of the book was an excellent tool for training my mind in one aspect, but under pressure, when your future is on the line in the decisions you make in the next few minutes or hours is a whole different set of tools.  For that, I recommend reading/listening to Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies and Why? by Laurence Gonzoles, The Survivor's Club by Ben Sherwood, or watching Prepared to Survive with Doug Ritter.  All help you in similar ways to varying degrees.

Of course, there's a reason I went back to working on a VFD.  Running calls allows you to immerse yourself into high stress environments for short periods of time where you must make critical decisions and still have a team around you to debrief you after the fact. 

There's many ways to skin a cat, but ultimately, you need to learn which parts have the claws and teeth and act accordingly. ;)