Author Topic: How do I get an ISP and still protect my identity (SS#)  (Read 19985 times)

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
How do I get an ISP and still protect my identity (SS#)
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
Moving to a rural place in MO.  CenturyLink is my only ISP (DSL) option in my area.  They require my SS#.  They say that they run a credit check, I don't care if they do.  I just do not want my SS# in their system.  I've politely refused and asked to talk to a supervisor.  I've done this with two different people on two different days.  I've offered the following options to them:

1) Prepay a year in advance
2) I've offered my DL as an alternative to my SS#
3) I've asked if I can open it under my business name and provide my EIN.  The answer is "yes, but under business rates at $129.00 per month.

I work from home and must have high-speed access.
I have thought about accidentally transposing some numbers, but if they run a check, I'm sure that it won't go through.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: How do I get an ISP and still protect my identity (SS#)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Moving to a rural place in MO.  CenturyLink is my only ISP (DSL) option in my area.  They require my SS#.  They say that they run a credit check, I don't care if they do.  I just do not want my SS# in their system.  I've politely refused and asked to talk to a supervisor.  I've done this with two different people on two different days.  I've offered the following options to them:

1) Prepay a year in advance
2) I've offered my DL as an alternative to my SS#
3) I've asked if I can open it under my business name and provide my EIN.  The answer is "yes, but under business rates at $129.00 per month.

I work from home and must have high-speed access.
I have thought about accidentally transposing some numbers, but if they run a check, I'm sure that it won't go through.

damn, i've never had anyone ask that. can you get your work to pay for it directly? if not, start asking up the level to the exec level if you can and see if they can get that waived. let us know what happens.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:23:19 PM »
I would just make up a number to start with. See if they go away,

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 08:32:34 PM »
Check out Clear.  http://www.clear.com/coverage 
I've had them about two years now and have no complaints. Depending on your area they may not be an option but worth a shot an no credit check, SSN, etc.
You purchase a modem and then pay monthly for service. I bought my modem for $49 and pay $35 a month.
When I was traveling for work I would take it with me and have my own secure network where ever I went

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
Update:

1) I made up a number.  No go.  They knew it.
2) Could not find any other providers with coverage in my area.
3) Clear.com does not cover my area.  In addition, due to the nature of my work, I can't have the latency that is found on OTA networks anyway, but I looked into them as a backup option.

It made me sick to my stomach, but I provided my SS# to this telco.

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »
Well shoot! I'm bummed you had to provide the SSN.  :(

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:11:45 AM »
damn, sorry about that. that stinks

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »
Wow.. I am not sure I would have done it.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
Isn't it ILLEGAL for them to REQUIRE your social security number?

Obviously they are using it to do a credit check on you before giving you an account — and I suppose they can deny you the account if you refuse to comply, but I thought even though everyone and their brother WANTS your social security number, that it was still ILLEGAL to REQUIRE it or DEMAND it unless you are opening up a bank account, or starting a new job, (or something to that effect).

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:49:56 AM »
Isn't it ILLEGAL for them to REQUIRE your social security number?

Obviously they are using it to do a credit check on you before giving you an account — and I suppose they can deny you the account if you refuse to comply, but I thought even though everyone and their brother WANTS your social security number, that it was still ILLEGAL to REQUIRE it or DEMAND it unless you are opening up a bank account, or starting a new job, (or something to that effect).

I have heard that.  I'd like to see a statute to that effect.  It seems to me an urban legend that it is illegal to require a SS#.  If anyone can find this, I'd LOVE to see it.

I work for an employer from my home office.  My vacation was over.  I needed ISP access ASAP.  I even worked from a relative's house for awhile, in fact, I'm still here today.  Service was supposed to be delivered last week, then rescheduled for yesterday.  Nobody showed up.  5 calls later they said it would be turned up by 5pm yesterday, then 7pm, then 9pm, then midnight.  I woke up this morning, rebooted the modem, still no service.  (that's the short version).  My cell phone service is on the edge of the coverage and will not stay on H or 3G, so I can't tether at home, even with a booster antennae on the roof.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
Meh, upon some "google" searches I find that it is NOT required to give your SS number to a business requesting it — but if you refuse, you may be denied the services or goods you are requesting as a result.

So, they are saying you are never REQUIRED to give it, and if you are a business who "requires the peasants" to give it to you and they don't — you can just tell them to "F-OFF."

I am using Clear Wireless for my internet right now and it is fast enough for my personal needs as a web developer. However, it is dependent on having a 4G WiMax signal near you that is sufficient.

Have you tried the satellite dishes? Do they ask you for your mark of the beast?

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »
I happen to be the telecom architect/engineer for my company.  I have not personally tried it, but others on my team have tried some of the dish services for internet.  We all use VOIP phones.  The problem with the dish services is that the latency is too great to support conversations with any consisten reliability.  Jitter and latency is our archrival in my world and latency is inherent in those "satellite/dish" services.  At least that was the case 2 years ago.  YMMV and technology is always evolving.

I just got off the phone with CenturyLink.  They have my service at the house working now.  My wife says it is PAINFULLY slow.  Time to go home and open a repair ticket to get the DSL speed up to (or close to) the 7mbs promised with my service.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »

Have you tried the satellite dishes? Do they ask you for your mark of the beast?

Also, the short answer is "yes" and "no".  I asked if I could go with Direct TV without providing my SS.  After multiple conversations, most folks said SS is required.  I found one person who was willing to work with me.  She said that a deposit of $729 was required to cover the equipment.  (Frankly, I can think of better things to do with my money than let them sit on it.)

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
Huh... Go figure.

I guess I skipped the part in the bible that said "And that no man might get online, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."

Offline talktous

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 12:02:28 PM »
ag2,

Our team can help answer your questions and assist in establishing service. Please contact us via the link for further assistance http://t.co/lm5JYoPO  or email talktous@centurylink.com

Regars,
Patti
CenturyLink Help Team

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
They require my SS#.  They say that they run a credit check, I don't care if they do.  I just do not want my SS# in their system. 

Tell them it is illegal to ask for your SS# and you will report them. I know when I worked at a dental office we were asked by our boss to get it, but I knew it was illegal.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/78/~/legal-requirements-to-provide-your-social-security-number

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your Social Security number, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your Social Security number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your Social Security number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse.

Good luck and maybe with threatening that it is illegal, you can bypass that part of their requirements.

Cedar

Edit: When I replied it looked like I was the 2nd person to reply.. I didn't see all the other posts.

Offline artephius

• Survivor
  • Recovering forum lurker..
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 09:06:51 AM »
This is very strange, I used to be involved with a network marketing company that sold century link services, and while they did /ask/ for your SSN, giving a drivers license number instead was always an option. I guess it's too late now but that should not have happened.

I'd check/demand to know what is done with your SSN after this supposed credit check... do they explicitly say it is never used for any other purpose and deleted immediately? Having mine "on file" with anyone would really bother me, especially with all the data breaches that keep happening these days.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 07:06:02 AM »
Just changed wireless providers and dealt with three of them in the past week.  They all need social to do credit checks.  It is too easy to change a driver's license number and bury bad check history.  But they would let you do prepaid. 

Does the patriot act require social security number tracking? I remember some tinfoil discussions about that...

You should have told them you were an illegal alien!