Author Topic: DEATH TO TREE RATS  (Read 20317 times)

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: DEATH TO TREE RATS
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
Pellet gun.

My Dad used to catch them in a cage then drown them in a 55 gallon barrel.

Offline O.B.

• Prepper
  • Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit.
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 04:22:15 AM »
I just found a squirrel CHEWING on MY TOMATOES!!!

ARG!

I can't shoot the thing, I can't trap the thing, I can't set my cat loose on it... I HATE LIVING IN THE CITY!

Sigh. Does anyone know of a squirrel deterrent I can use in city-limits?

A nice quiet pellet rifle.

Offline dbs

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
I will definitely try the pepper idea.  I always keep a spray bottle with some crushed fresh cayenne pepper and garlic for use in the garden for other pest anyway.

Offline jaseemtp

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
According to my grandfather they used the large rat traps and would bait them with peanut butter.  This was one way they were able to get food during the great depression.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
My worry with rat traps is getting the nontarget  species, for example, catching a blue jay (it was very sad) in one of my rat traps. So, after that experience I get worried that instead of a rat or squirrel, I would end up breaking the leg of my cat -- wouldnt they be a danger to cats ?

d3nni5

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
My worry with rat traps is getting the nontarget  species, for example, catching a blue jay (it was very sad) in one of my rat traps. So, after that experience I get worried that instead of a rat or squirrel, I would end up breaking the leg of my cat -- wouldnt they be a danger to cats ?

DEATH TO BLUEJAY'S!   Mean ass birds in my experience.   But we don't want the kitty's hurt....we need to train the cats to get the squirrels....and the jays!  :)

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »
I'll never forget one of our cats catching a Jay in mid-air once.  He snuck up near the bird feeder while we were outside.  We didn't even notice he was there until one Jay came swooping in and he exploded out of the grass to catch the bird.  Nature in action.

Offline deakin

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »
A properly installed electric fence keeps everything out and it's pretty fun to watch the critters try to get in. I watched a fawn do a backflip from touching mine. The deer wouldn't even go on that side of the yard after a while. Works for squirrels and rabbits too.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »
Deakin,
Keeps out squirrels too?! That must be a pretty elaborate electric fence. We have lots of squirrels that go after our pecans, given lots of surrounding wood cover. Have deer regularly around. Just saw a huge jack rabbit. Thought it was a dog at first.

Offline deakin

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
I run 3 wires, 1 @ 3-4", 1 about a foot, and one about 3'. The only issues I've had were from forgetting to turn it on. Most animals will sniff the wire as they are approaching. That seems to be good enough for most.

Offline DanielBoone

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
$70 might be more than your willing to spend but...motion controled sprinkler systems can be effective.

http://www.havahart.com/store/electronic-repellents/5266

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »
I think the sprinklers might not detect the squirrels since they are so small. That being said, if you are going to go that route, this one is a cheaper option and I've used it to successfully keep cats out of my garden.

Offline DanielBoone

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
I think the sprinklers might not detect the squirrels since they are so small. That being said, if you are going to go that route, this one is a cheaper option and I've used it to successfully keep cats out of my garden.

Thats why I suggested the $70 Havahart sprinkler..it has an adjustable sensor that can be set lower to detect smaller animals like squirrels. 

The sensor on the Scarecrow is fixed and can't be adjusted and might not work on squirrels because the sensor is too high.

The Scarecrow is great if you have a cat problem though.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 06:04:34 PM »
Good to know, I didn't realize that would detect squirrels.

Offline vgun

• Prepper
  • Born to be riled
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »
Interesting thread--I make my living doing humane and non lethal wildlife control.
First off--drowning an animal is not humane by any stretch according to the American Veterinary Medical Association. Even the Havahart trap book which lists ways to kill says drowning is not humane.
 The hot pepper on the plants can work--I do that myself on tomatoes and zuchinni--since squirrels are territorial the hot pepper will usually train them what not to eat. Once they get a taste they don't keep going back to try it again. I just used cheap store bought cayenne.
 Motion activated sprinklers work great and they should detect a squirrel.
Electric fence can work good also--I've done it several times and it works perfect but a hassle to set up and maintain in a garden.

Trapping or shooting is only a band aid solution and will not work as a long term solution and over time will make the problem worse.
 Squirrels are territorial--you take some out--the others in the area now have more room and food and therefore create more squirrels. It's called compensatory rebound--it's the same principal used by fish and game folks to keep game populations high so hunters have something to shoot. All living things do this--you trim a plant to make it fuller--you take all your antibiotics so the bug doesn't came back stronger--you take out animals and the population will tend to increase over time--this used to be called sustained yield by trappers.
 Also relocation not only doesn't solve the problem but it is also not very humane. Scientists have been doing relocation studies for the last couple decades and the survival rate of a relocated animal is not good. Main reason for mortality is a failure to adjust to the new habitat--survival rate of a squirrel is only about 5%

Offline WhiteBear620

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
Does anyone know if squirrels are known to dig down into soil to get vegetables?
I had a planter that I just planted pepper seeds in, the planter used to contain potatoes I was trying to grow, well I guess I missed one. I came home to a planter that had been dug into about a foot down, guess I missed a potato because that's what it had dug down to.
I'm thinking it was a darn squirrel, am I right?
Just wanted to ask before I started spreading my dog's fur all over the soil  :badgarden:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 05:46:12 AM »
A paint ball gun is effective and good training too,squirrely learns pretty quickly.
But I do ,on occasion,shoot a 22 CB cap and place prepared squirrels in a pot of water with carrots,potatoes,spices.....

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2015, 08:06:06 AM »
Yep.
Squirrels will occasionally dig in a planter. They are curious creatures.
We have an unlimited supply of them. Wish I had sprinklers around all the trees but not practical.

Offline WhiteBear620

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment with a neighbor's door facing the area where my planters are. Paintballs and rimfires aren't an option, much as I wish it was....