Author Topic: cockroaches coming up my plumbing?  (Read 35522 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
cockroaches coming up my plumbing?
« on: June 14, 2013, 07:57:24 AM »
I. FREAKING. HATE. ROACHES. i'm officially declaring war on them.

so on three different mornings i have found three different cockroaches, two in the same bathtub and one today in our kitchen sink. i'm assuming they are coming up through the plumbing since they can't climb out of the tub or sink. i can't imagine they'd climb down into them... but hey, you never know.

as much as i hate doing it i spray bug killer outside my home, but next time i'm switching to DE to give that a try. i say the bug killer because i see them dead outside so i don't think they are coming in from outside, which leads me to the plumbing assumption.

anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? i can close the drains and stop up the sink but i want to prohibit these bastards from getting in my house. is it the warm weather bringing them out? help me please!

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: cockroaches coming up my plumbing?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »
Are you on city or well water?  Septic?  In either case you should have traps in your plumbing to keep odors (and cockroaches) out.  I'm not sure how well cockroaches swim or crawl underwater, but they probably could get through the trap.  However, for my money I'd bet on them being in the house and falling into your sinks and bathtubs at night.  Roach traps or powder placed along interior walls near where you find them may help.
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
How do you feel about keeping ducks/chickens???? If they were coming up my drains I think I might even get past the EW factor and park a duck in my tub for the night. But are you not sure they are falling into your sinks? But I did mean mostly keeping them outside.

Can you fill your sink full of water overnight and plug the sinks? Do you have a garbage disposal? When my friend was in Hawaii I could hear the guys grinding up cockroaches in their sink. On that note, geckos eat cockroaches.

Sticky traps. Clean up area which attract them to live. Have a spot outside which is an attractant? Under your house?

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
sadly i can't keep livestock... well i COULD but i like enjoying the benefits of marriage and my wife doesn't want any animals.

i found a palmetto bug last night in the bathroom so i'm thinking they are probably falling in and not coming up the pipes... the place isn't dirty, my wife makes sure of that. the only thing i can think is that maybe they are sneaking in from outside. maybe since it's hot here now they are coming out more so we're getting some in the house...

i really don't know. i haven't seen any for almost a year (inside or outside) and now we get three inside a couple week. i'll have to look into some traps i think.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
sadly i can't keep livestock... well i COULD but i like enjoying the benefits of marriage and my wife doesn't want any animals.

Yeah.. but in my thinking you HAVE animals.. ICKY ones.  ;)

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Thox Spuddy

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:13:11 AM »
yeah, that's what i meant when i said DE in my post above. i want to try it out because i hear it does wonders. i'd love something that i can use inside and out that isn't a chemical.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
Coincidentally I was earlier in the day looking to buy it for grain storage.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »
is there a specific type of DE i should get or does run of the mill stuff work? i'm not going to ingest it (i've heard some do that) or use it for LTS, just pest control.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:35 PM »
That is a good question that I don't have the answer to. I see that there is food grade DE, but isn't it all the same stuff? I'm planning on shaking it into the wheat berries  but I don't know if I have to do anything before putting the wheat into the grinder. If you only are needing it for pest control I would think anything DE would work.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
That is a good question that I don't have the answer to. I see that there is food grade DE, but isn't it all the same stuff? I'm planning on shaking it into the wheat berries  but I don't know if I have to do anything before putting the wheat into the grinder. If you only are needing it for pest control I would think anything DE would work.

i've heard of people taking a tbs a day of DE for health so i wouldn't think a little on your wheat berries is going to be a big deal. i'm not positive, but from what i've read that's what i'm led to believe.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 08:59:56 AM »
I have lived in the deep south in places where (no matter how clean your house) you'll see roaches if you don't treat your home. The worst place was probably New Orleans. In that place, I had regular pest control service. The pros used a product that worked very well. It was a sort of brown paste that was injected in small spots underneath plumbing in bathrooms and kitchens. Essentially, it was a poison that the roaches took back to the nest. It worked magic.

I'm thinking you might be able to find something similar if you look around to do yourself. Alternatively, Combat sells something that looks like it might be similar:

http://www.combatbugs.com/product/roach-killing-bait-strips

good luck.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »
so, it is confirmed, they are coming up through the drain pipes. i was cleaning our bathroom and i watched one of the little bastards slowly crawl out of its vietcong-like hide. the only semi-viable solution i found was to pour bleach down the drain. i'm not opposed to it... but i am not in love with the idea of it either. since they are coming out of the tub i have to way to inspect the pipes.

any ideas?

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
Is this a tub you use regularly?  If not then maybe the trap has dried up giving them an avenue of approach.  If its a tub you use then I don't know what to think.  Possibilities would be a faulty install or no install of the trap.  Cockroaches can swim.  Or maybe they go down there during the day and are still coming originally from somewhere else. You may want to stick a roach trap in the tub at night for the next few weeks and see if that clears them up.  Good luck, man, that's a tough one.
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »
Is this a tub you use regularly?  If not then maybe the trap has dried up giving them an avenue of approach.  If its a tub you use then I don't know what to think.  Possibilities would be a faulty install or no install of the trap.  Cockroaches can swim.  Or maybe they go down there during the day and are still coming originally from somewhere else. You may want to stick a roach trap in the tub at night for the next few weeks and see if that clears them up.  Good luck, man, that's a tough one.

the tub is used at least every other day, usually every day as my kids are starting to get messier.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »
the tub is used at least every other day, usually every day as my kids are starting to get messier.

I would keep the sink and tub drain plugged when not in use, at night etc. Then if there are unwelcome visitors you know they fell in.

Marinade, helping you enjoy your steak, if the steak gets tough or even If it don't. :)

"Go forth and be manly!" - T.Ghee

So I have power and underwear.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
I would keep the sink and tub drain plugged when not in use, at night etc. Then if there are unwelcome visitors you know they fell in.

that's what we started doing to make sure that is the issue.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »
I've had some success with DE against tiny cockroaches.

To get a good dusting, I just load it into one of those baby snot suckers (see link) and blow out the DE around cracks and crevices (i.e. under the sink/cabinets).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Nasal-Aspirator/16424050

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
that's a good idea for an applicator. i'm sure we have one of those lying around here somewhere.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »
that's a good idea for an applicator. i'm sure we have one of those lying around here somewhere.

Yeah, it gives a nice dusting without clumps or mounds of DE.

If your wife gives you trouble for using the baby snot bulb (i.e. you've got babies in your future), you could use an old turkey baster.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »
eh, those are so cheap that i'll buy a new one. in fact she just called me and told me she found one in the bottom of our dishwasher after it had just run... FREAKING. GROSS. BEYOND. BELIEF.

i went to home depot to pick of some DE and they told me there they've heard of it before and the best thing to do is pour bleach down all the drains once a month. that collaborates with what i read online and i wasn't able to find any other solutions so i walked out with a big bottle of bleach and DE.

war starts this afternoon at 1630.

nkawtg

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 07:20:33 PM »
Are you sure they're not falling into the tub from the walls or a vent above the tub?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 05:13:32 AM »
I would think they are in your house though not through the plumbing. How do they get in the sink and tub///Many can FLY.
DE is a good ,continous ,kind of killer and the only difference I know of between FOOD GRADE and other DE is the purity or lack of dirt .
The tiny skeletons of ancient critters called DIATOMS ,they are single cell critters and they have hard and sharp skeletons that are
like razor wire that cuts bugs and gets in their joints and caused them to dry out till you get BUG JERKY and as no chemical or poison
is safe around people and pets. I use the food grade though and DE is safe..I often put a dusting of DE in my long tern storage beans and grains to
cut the chance of small eggs hatching withing the stored goods and growing...you really can't avoid the critter being part of dry goods. 
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »
Wow, talk about resurrecting a zombie thread! Haven't had this issue in a while now. Not sure what's keeping them away but I won't complain. Thanks for the additional input.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 08:03:07 AM »
Wow, talk about resurrecting a zombie thread! Haven't had this issue in a while now. Not sure what's keeping them away but I won't complain. Thanks for the additional input.

It is good to look back sometimes and see the past.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »
so, it is confirmed, they are coming up through the drain pipes. i was cleaning our bathroom and i watched one of the little bastards slowly crawl out of its vietcong-like hide.

Okay, I'm not really freaked out by bugs much...but I think I'd be shrieking if that happened in my house.

Offline Beetlebum

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »
eh, those are so cheap that i'll buy a new one. in fact she just called me and told me she found one in the bottom of our dishwasher after it had just run... FREAKING. GROSS. BEYOND. BELIEF.

One morning in Austin Tx, I pulled a hair out of the coffee maker reservoir. Except it wasn't a hair and there was a 2 1/2 inch cockroach attached to it. That coffee maker no longer exists.

Offline marmitenot

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
Ok, since someone else resurrected this thread I'm going to make a comment.  I stumbled upon this today doing an internet search trying to find out if those nasty bugs could come up through plumbing.  When I woke up this morning and stumbled bleary-eyed into the bathroom there is a big dark spot on the floor.  I turn the light on and YUP.  It's a big, nasty cockroach...all but dead. But the strange thing is there's all this dirt around it, and the dirt is stuck to the floor so obviously it had been wet mud when it was deposited and dried during the night.  It's like its back was muddy when it flipped over and it smeared it around and left "leg tracks" in the mud while attempting to regain its feet.  Where did the mud come from??? The only thing I can reason is it came through the pipe and had crud on it's back.  I've lived in the south (northern Louisiana) my entire life and never seen anything like this.  These roaches are an unfortunate fact of life down here, no matter how you keep your house.  They are here to stay.  It's the tropical weather I suppose, but I HATE THOSE THINGS.  HATE THEM!  And to me, this is another instance that proves they can come in through the pipes.  I treat my home regularly so when he got in, the insecticide got him.  I guarantee I'll be bleaching my sinks and tubs, as well as plugging them up when I'm not using them.  DISGUSTING!  BLECHHHHK!!!!