Author Topic: Question! If RFID credit cards....  (Read 966 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Question! If RFID credit cards....
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
... can be blocked with tin foil or a metal case, and cell phones can fail to work inside Costco or inside the beef/sheep barn at my fairgrounds, is there something besides pulling the battery out of your cell phone to keep the NSA and friends from tracking you etc? I was thinking about the RFID cards and then I jumped to thinking about the cell phones.

On an iPhone your warranty goes bad if you unscrew the tiny little spot to pull your battery and sounds like a PITA anyway. So is there anything you can put your phone into, so it is ready to go if you need it, but renders it untrackable/wont turn on if you don't want it to? If it is off in the 'case', does it still wear our your battery if it keeps trying to ping cell towers and cant get one? Will it not try if it is turned off and in the case? Will anything work?

Cedar

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Question! If RFID credit cards....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:56 PM »
I think that when a cellphone is OFF it is unable to transmit or receive radio signals.  Of course there are numerous people claiming that receiving a secret coded "ping" or some such trick can turn them on without you knowing about it.  This is something that could be proven true (by successfully doing it) but is almost impossible to prove false (you'd need to reverse-engineer the whole phone and its software to prove that it's physically impossible).

Here's my thinking.  The FAA/FCC/etc have been making such a fuss for so long about how important it is to turn off all radio transmitters and receivers during aircraft takeoff and landing.  Would they have allowed a secret transmit or receive function to be built into every phone?  Also, could they keep it secret, especially with all the Chinese-manufactured units?

Now, on the other hand, the phones could (maybe) have a plain old RFID chip built-in.  That might allow for short-range tracking with the right equipment (same as for anything else with an RFID thingie in it).