Author Topic: Sending kids off to college while prepping  (Read 3301 times)

Texas mom

Sending kids off to college while prepping
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:47 AM »
I didn't know where to post this, so I'm posting it here.

Are any of you sending off kids to college right now?  I've been neglecting my preps the last few weeks, and I realized this weekend that it's a psychological thing.  It's hard thinking about TSHTF when my child will be several hours away in the fall.  Yikes!

I'm not an eotwawki kind of prepper, since I really don't think things will get that bad.  Besides, if it does, I'd rather be in heaven.  :)

Anyway, I do believe that things can still get pretty darn bad, which is why I'm prepping.   

How do we psychologically prepare for situations like this?   

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Sending kids off to college while prepping
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:15:22 AM »
Send your kid off to college with a bug-out bag and a mapped out route off the beaten path to either you BOL or home...... Does your child know about your preps and why you prep?

Texas mom

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »
Yeah, she knows why we're preparing. However, she's my baby girl!  If we have safety in numbers here, I think I'd prefer to send my husband for her than think of her travelling alone.  :(

Anyway, I think I've been telling myself that "nothing is going to happen, so why are you doing all of this" as a defense mechanism against thinking that my girl could be out there by herself.  Yikes!

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:30:35 PM »
Are any of you sending off kids to college right now?

A couple of years ago I sent the love-of-my-live, my 18 year-old daughter off to live in Austin.  I know what you are going through.

You just have to accept that kids grow up.  They are not helpless.  Trust in what you taught them for 18 years.  Millions of kids have done this successfully before yours.  Everything will be alright.

When my daughter got her own apartment in Austin, I did buy her a Remington 870 20ga. youth model.  I make her bring it home when she visits and we go drill pick-up-and-shoot.  If SHTF, she knows how to get home, and has alternate places pre-arranged to bug-out to closer to Austin if she can't get here.

Offline CBMS

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »
As a student I think you have done everything you can. You can smile and thank god that you are in such a good position with her, unlike my situation.
Not to have a pity party, but rather to show you what can be accomplished I will let you in on my plan.
I am going to school approximately 1,000 miles from home, and about 1,800 miles from the family bug out location. I live in another country, and on an island. However this has not stopped me from making a plan on how to get there if need be. In total walking time it will take me around 4 or 5 months to get to the family home. If there is nothing left of the area, then its off to the bug out location. This trip will take an additional 4 or 5 months, and it will be through a much harsher climates IE deserts. The direct path will take me through a total of 5 major cities of 1 million plus people so I will have to go around them, Instead of going through Seattle i will go down the western seaboard as long as possible unless it is wiped out by an earthquake (my most likely disaster). Tacoma and Portland will also be given a wide birth, as well as their respective suburbs. I have stashed some goods at a spot in between Portland and Weed Ca which will be my re supply location. I should be here around the end of the first month.
I hope to make 8-10 miles a day soloing the entire way. From there its about going through the mountains that divide California and Oregon, and after that, the desert and wastes of northwest California. The Bay area is my goal location for the family stop. If they are there, either dead or alive. If they are dead then I say my prayers and keep whatever of them I can in my heart and spirit and move back north again. If they are alive I stop and we will move south together to Arizona. If they are not there, then I will be heading to AZ to meet up with them.
If they are still not there, then it will be time for me to move either back north through the rockies into Canada, or just into Oregon.
Who knows what the future will bring, but by having a shared plan, it gives me a great deal of hope for myself and my family.

Texas mom

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies and stories!

This daughter of mine is very mature and will do great in college.   I'm not worried about her - just the what if things get bad so quickly that we don't have time to get to her.  She's not the first I send off, so it's actually a lot easier than sending off my first.  LOL  With my first, however, I wasn't so worried about the state of the economy, the country, etc.  KWIM?   

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
When my daughter got her own apartment in Austin, I did buy her a Remington 870 20ga. youth model.  I make her bring it home when she visits and we go drill pick-up-and-shoot.  If SHTF, she knows how to get home, and has alternate places pre-arranged to bug-out to closer to Austin if she can't get here.
Now that is just plain awesome. Way to go Tommy Jefferson!

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 11:01:42 PM »
As much as I would like her to have one, the college frowns on shotguns in dorm rooms  :(

Having her just beyond a tankful of gas (that is getting there and back home) will make things a bit tricky if I have to go and fetch her in a BO situation. I think that planning a route out for her makes sense, but we're talking a few days walk, so I'm not sure. She may be better off staying put (very small town) than to head back towards us and have to go around a city of 250,000 to get back, not to mention a few days to walk 150 miles.

Could be time to break down and buy a beater car.......

Offline CBMS

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »
As much as I would like her to have one, the college frowns on shotguns in dorm rooms  :(

Having her just beyond a tankful of gas (that is getting there and back home) will make things a bit tricky if I have to go and fetch her in a BO situation. I think that planning a route out for her makes sense, but we're talking a few days walk, so I'm not sure. She may be better off staying put (very small town) than to head back towards us and have to go around a city of 250,000 to get back, not to mention a few days to walk 150 miles.

Could be time to break down and buy a beater car.......
Let me tell you something about university dorm policies. If they do not see it, it doesn't exist. Have her keep it in a piece of luggage under the bed. Keep it hidden and have her bring it home every time, if it makes you or her feel better, lock up the luggage while its not in use. I mean if its a real SHTF scenario forget the bag and cut it open grab the gun and go.

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:25:45 AM »
You could also have a safety box installed in her trunk and have her keep it there.  I've been thinking about this a lot myself, two of mine are moving to GA with their mother (I'm in CO), and they aren't old enough to drive. 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »
Let me tell you something about university dorm policies. If they do not see it, it doesn't exist. Have her keep it in a piece of luggage under the bed. Keep it hidden and have her bring it home every time, if it makes you or her feel better, lock up the luggage while its not in use. I mean if its a real SHTF scenario forget the bag and cut it open grab the gun and go.

that is so true!  We had no pet rules in my dorms (except fish)..... every one knew of someone who had an iguana, kitten, rabbit, mouse, rat.... once someone even had a descented scunk!  and a weapon locked in a suitcase under the bed would be even more descrete than a "fuzzy fish" (as we called them).  As long as she can keep her mouth shut, and snoopers out, no problem.  although a roommate might be a problem with that.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 08:10:15 AM »
that is so true!  We had no pet rules in my dorms (except fish)..... every one knew of someone who had an iguana, kitten, rabbit, mouse, rat.... once someone even had a descented scunk!  and a weapon locked in a suitcase under the bed would be even more descrete than a "fuzzy fish" (as we called them).  As long as she can keep her mouth shut, and snoopers out, no problem.  although a roommate might be a problem with that.
Not to be a wet blanket but I would definitely break that down into pieces or store it in different places around the room. Just because your child is honest and sane does not mean everyone else in the dorm is upstanding. Particularly since a weapon, in times after so many college shootings, will get your child expelled no question. Now there are some campuses that have student gun clubs and are a lot more understanding but these really are the exception. I just would hate for a good kid to lose so much of what they worked for because of a theft or someone inadvertently seeing the weapon and running their mouth. Hope my concern is not impertinent!  :D

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »
Right, I would definitely have it not easily recognizable, probably use a takedown weapon, like the Scout:

Plus, in a BO, it would be better to not look like you are carrying, and a long gun would make that more difficult. We're not talking about a real savvy outdoor person for the most part, with our kids. LOTS of training is in order. I almost think that having them stay put till we get there will be a better option for most of us/them.  Unlike the typical routes we've heard discussed, this one would be "start walking, and I'll meet you along the way". Now, THAT'S a tough call, unless you've some as capable as CBMS

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »
What ebonearth said.

Leftist universities are totally freaky about guns.  If they are prohibited, the consequences for getting caught with a gun on campus would be life-altering.  The student would have to explain to every other college why they were expelled.  They would become a pariah.

Every situation is unique, but in most cases the cost of unauthorized possession would outweigh the benefits.

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
As I recall I think there were some universities that came forward after the University Shooting at U of W.V. I believe one university that came forward was Liberty University.

You could also have your kids check out this organization.
http://concealedcampus.org/