Author Topic: 72 hour kits not just helpful in big emergencies  (Read 1978 times)

Offline jlsellers

• Prepper
72 hour kits not just helpful in big emergencies
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
Hi friends,

Ok so I'm a mom and I'm about to talk 72 hour kits and um baby poop...

I recently decided to make 72 hour kits for my kids. Well I should say that most of the "important" stuff, like mre's, pocket knives, flashlights, etc. are in my husband's and my 72 hour backpacks. But I decided that I needed to make some for the kids that had stuff they need in them. Their backpacks were small. I put in a change of clothes, pajamas, shoes and socks, and a jacket. I also put a protein bar in each one and a packet of peanut butter. My 21-month old's backpack also got some diapers and wipes. I was so excited about it that I decided to take them with us in the car on a little family shopping trip.

Well, the toddler had a giant blowout at the mall. I hightailed it to the bathroom and every item of clothing had to be removed. I had diapers with me but no new clothes, so I sent my hubby to the car to get her emergency backpack. Not only were we able to get a change of clothes, but we were able to use the ziplock bag that had been holding some wet wipes to contain the dirty clothes until we got home. Otherwise I probably would have had to put them in the trash and bought new ones.  Also, the fact that I  had decided to carry protein bars in my own purse kept me sane and not tempted to get fast food until we got home. Same thing with the kids and their protein bars.

Those little backpacks saved us money and sanity.
So I say to you, I think God blesses us when we are trying to be self-reliant and prepared. Even in baby steps.

P.S. I should mention, that my own 72 hour kit is so big that I never take it anywhere. I am thinking I should break that up a little, have kits in the car and the house, etc.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: 72 hour kits not just helpful in big emergencies
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
Blow out... That sounds horrible.  ;D I'm glad that you had the kits in the car with you.

Having a big 72 hour kit isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you can carry it. What you might need is a different Emergency Kit, BOB or Get Home Bag for your car.

Offline jlsellers

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
Yes. I think get home bag is probably more what we are working on putting together right now. Multiple kits is definitely a plus. Trying to warp my head around how to do that.

Offline bobandjess

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
Good thinking, Mama!  Our boys have their own bags too and they love them.

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »
Wow, excellent job handling the "little" crisis!    Eeeek.

Although I dont have any toddlers anymore, our family-sized 72 hour kit is actually a couple of large totes.  Everyone has their small backpack with a change of clothes, some food and water etc, but the "big stuff" resides in bins in the garage.  I have smaller "just in case" kits in all the cars, maybe it is time to reconsider exactly what we have available at any given time...

...just not so much a need for THAT kind of "blow out kit"   ;)

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
Blow out... That sounds horrible.  ;D I'm glad that you had the kits in the car with you.

Having a big 72 hour kit isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you can carry it. What you might need is a different Emergency Kit, BOB or Get Home Bag for your car.

Trust me (we raised 9 kids), "blow out" is a great description of what happens, and it is horrible. :o

We always kept at least 1-2 complete changes of clothing (including socks) in the diaper bag, kinda kept a 72-hour kit in that thing, food, clothing, Mom & Dad's stuff, toys... - it was huge.  I tell my kid to do the same with their diaper bags now - Much better being a Grandpa  ;D

Anyway, good job jlsellers.  And thanks for the ideas too.