Author Topic: Fish Waste  (Read 1152 times)

Offline zarfbloot

• Prepper
  • Apprentice Prepper
Fish Waste
« on: August 11, 2013, 07:52:11 PM »
I have a question about using fish waste in the garden and I couldn't find any resources after a quick google search on the matter.

I have a 55 gallon community fish tank in my house. Just a bunch of small fish all getting along together. Once a week I "vacuum" a portion of the bottom of the tank, removing about 5 gallons of water that contains fish feces and bacteria from the bottom of the tank. I had been dumping the water down the drain but now that I am getting into gardening I was wondering if this is safe to use to water edibles?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
Re: Fish Waste
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »
We built and gardened in a 700+ gallon aquaponic system last year with about two dozen tilapia.  The water from our system worked like Miracle Gro.  Plants inside and outside of the system grew significantly faster and appeared to be healthier than other plants we only watered with city water.  I'm not sure how water from an aquarium will work in comparison, but, as long as you haven't added any chemicals to your water, it shouldn't hurt your plants.  Give it a try and see what happens.

While I do not post to the blog any longer, you can read about our aquaponic adventure here:

AquaponicFamily.wordpress.com

There are lots of photos and descriptions on how we built the system, raised the fish, planted and harvested the veggies.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »
When I was a kid all my fish tank water changes got drained onto the veggie garden.

Plus a couple mackerel would get buried in the garden too, but that is a different topic.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:01 AM »
I have been doing it for years.
 I pour it on the soil and don't spray the leaves just in case.