Author Topic: Do I need to prune my fig tree?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline "Top" W. Kone

• Survivor
  • 1SG for an HHC in the USAR
    • Busy Poor Dad
Do I need to prune my fig tree?
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:25:32 PM »
We have a fig tree/bush in our yard that is about six foot high and gave us about a bushel of figs, we got about 3/4th the birds got the rest.  Do I need to prune the bush to keep this good production?  If so where can I get directions?

Thanks

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Do I need to prune my fig tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »
Directions:Begin training to bush form at time of planting by cutting off one-third of the young plant. This forces shoots to grow from the base of the plant. Let these shoots grow through the first season. Then, during the late winter after the first growing season, select three to eight vigorous, widely spaced shoots to serve as leaders.  Remove all other shoots.

Be sure the leaders are far enough apart to grow to 3 to 4 inches in diameter without crowding each other. If they are too close together, the leaders cannot grow thick enough to support themselves and their crop and tend to fall over or split off under stress of high winds. If this happens, remove the damaged leader and select a new one late the next winter by choosing one of the many suckers that arise annually.

Beginning the second year after planting, if more branching is desired, head back the bush each spring after danger of frost is past but before growth has started. Do this by removing about one-third to one-half the length of the annual growth.

Also, prune out all dead wood, and remove branches that interfere with growth of the leaders. Cut off low-growing lateral branches and all sucker growth that is not needed for replacement of broken leaders.

Cedar

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
i'm no expert and cedar's advice sounds good.

my boss has several and every couple years he hacks them to the ground and they come right back.

Offline orrville

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »
 Thanks for the question "Top". Thanks Cedar for answer that I needed.