Author Topic: You Are Your Own Gym--Bodyweight Exercises  (Read 9536 times)

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
You Are Your Own Gym--Bodyweight Exercises
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
http://www.marklauren.com/

After ten years working local freight and cycling 90 miles a week, I was in decent shape for a truck driver. Then the economy dropped through the floor and I ended up a line driver, sitting on my butt 12-14 hours a night five and six nights a week. Fast-forward three years and I was horribly out of shape. I had all the flexibility of a coma patient and nearly as much aerobic capacity as a terminal emphysema sufferer. I had even lost my regular bid where I was getting home every morning and the company was sending me out for a week at a time, so I was staying in hotels and struggling at times to eat properly. I had an old Soloflex at home, but what good was that doing me six hundred miles away? I needed a workout I could do anywhere, it needed to be fairly short in duration and needed to have maximum impact. Oh, and it had to be something that could take me from coma patient to functionally fit.

Then I found Mark Lauren and his book "You Are Your Own Gym". (Mark's Bio) I checked out what people were saying online, I looked at his videos on youtube. I took a shot at trying to go at it from the book alone. I struggled, not sure I was setting up the program properly. I overreached my abilities, I got frustrated. I believed in his program, I just needed better guidance especially since I was at such a disadvantage.

Fast-forward a year, Mark came out with a video. "You Are Your Own Gym" on three dvds. One for the novice, one for intermediate, and one advanced.

I have been working on the novice for over sixteen weeks now. You may think to yourself, "Well, it must not work because he hasn't advanced." Not at all! As I said, I started in a big hole. Frankly, that I haven't injured out (I'm 48 years old and packin' a now-shrinking belly) is in itself testament to the level-headedness of his program. The novice program has challenged me for four months now. I'm getting to the point that, instead of merely being able to do the exercises and hoping to make it through, I'm starting to be able to focus more on how hard I can push. I hope to start the second disc probably the first of next year.

So what has sixteen weeks got me? Up two inches on my chest, down four inches on my belly, and down two inches where I wear my pants. I haven't measured my arms, but my biceps and triceps are looking much better. My wife says I'm getting my "bike legs" back too. 

I encourage anyone who has seen the P90X commercials and been tempted to try it, but felt that due to age or fitness level it just was too much--give Mark Lauren a good hard look. Check out his youtube videos. See what people say about his books. I really like that he's not a screamer, there is little hype. His approach is very much "stay in the game, rest if you have to but get in the game; keep showing up".

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkLauren2
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
Re: You Are Your Own Gym--Bodyweight Exercises
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »
Thanks.  That seems like a good program.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:35:08 PM »
Thanks.  That seems like a good program.

I think it is a great no-nonsense program. No hype, just hard work and results in time. No miracles.

A few random things about Mark: his military background is in the Air Force as an air combat controller. He ended up an instructor at one of the schools they go to.  He's also an accomplished Thai boxer. You can watch him KO a guy in Thailand, about one minute into the second round. It's on his youtube channel.
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »
I highly recommend yoga myself. I know a lot of guys aren't into it — but being the only guy at yoga class isn't really a BAD thing! However, the first time I went to an actual yoga CLASS, I went with girls I knew so I wouldn't feel like the creepy guy sitting next to the playground in a van with no windows.

You can use DVDs and other methods to learn it, but here where I live, I have access to free classes and/or "pay what you can" (where we each toss in $5) several nights per week.

The best way I can describe yoga is that it is essentially lifting weights, stretching, getting a full body massage, and visiting the chiropractor all in one workout.

I have a friend who refuse to check it out who is into hard core hiking and having some troubles with his foot after an 800 mile hike. I keep telling him it would help and would make him a stronger / faster hiker but he refuses to listen. So I told him to get a product called "yoga toes" (hahaha) to stretch out his feet, which he did and is saying that it helps quite a bit — and still won't listen to me about the benefits of yoga.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
i hate yoga, but it works.

i'll have to check this guy out, but i have been doing p90x and it is really good. back in the day people were in great shape with only body weight exercises. we can still do this today.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »
...back in the day people were in great shape with only body weight exercises. we can still do this today.

You mean back before McDonald's came along?

HAHAHA

I have heard great things about P90X. Anything you do that's "exercise" will do the job I've found. The trick is finding something you can stick with and enjoy — and the time to do it regularly.
(shameless plug)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »
I have heard great things about P90X. Anything you do that's "exercise" will do the job I've found. The trick is finding something you can stick with and enjoy — and the time to do it regularly.

time would be my biggest issue/complaint with P90X. most of the workouts are an hour, and the yoga (which i haven't done, probably will try that out now that physical test is done) is around 1h30m. i'm not saying i expect to get in great shape for 20 minutes a day, but it is something to consider with this program.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
The "pay what you can" tuesday / thursday night yoga classes I go to (occasionally now) — are only an hour long and they kick my ass pretty hard.

I find it to be the right length because it starts out feeling nice and stretching (and being the only guy at yoga class of course) — but around the 40 minute mark when we are into the hard stuff, I am feeling like death warmed over (and looking like a fool in a room full of yoga pants)... Followed by a nice cool down session where I could pretty much fall asleep on my yoga mat.

I've also done the HOT yoga classes (temperature, not a reference to the yoga pants) — and I swear I lost 5lbs during one of those I went to on a lunch break with a friend. It was 90 degrees outside that day and I remember feeling like I walked into an air conditioned building when I went OUTSIDE from the yoga studio that day.
(shameless plug)

Offline wraithe

• Survivor
  • Retired Navy nuke Chief
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »
I have heard great things about P90X.

I heard great things about P90X as well, my former room mate (early 40's, just retired from active duty) bought the dvd's, got on the diet and was doing well, right up until he pulled his back so bad that he nearly required hospitalization. P90X is just too high impact for me.

Herb
Knows a whole lot of things, just most of those things aren't very useful. I'll talk your ears off about airplanes, electronics, electricity, nuclear power, computers and engines of all kinds.

Offline BillP38

• Prepper
  • Gardening is cheaper than Therapy & you get Tomato
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
I'm training to compete in the Reebok Spartan races, each day they email & post to Facebook an exercise. It varies in intensity and focus. I've found it useful as I haven't plateaued.
People are so enamored by equality that they'd rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 05:26:45 PM »
I heard great things about P90X as well, my former room mate (early 40's, just retired from active duty) bought the dvd's, got on the diet and was doing well, right up until he pulled his back so bad that he nearly required hospitalization. P90X is just too high impact for me.

Herb

it is intense. it's definitely not a workout that you decide to do after sitting on the couch for years. i've been slowly making my way through it. some of the workouts i couldn't even finish up until a few weeks ago. it took me several months to get to the point where i feel like i can keep up with everything they're doing.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »
Insanity was pretty intense for me. There were definitely times during the training when I could feel Mr. Quit shouting inside my head. I personally liked it better than P90X because of the no-gear requirement - just way easier to go out to the studio and do.

Regarding body-weight only and it's ability to transform you... my brother turned himself from a guy in decent shape to a terminator-like machine in approximately a year using exclusively body weight until his reps were beyond what I have ever even imagined of myself. At that point, he was doing hundreds of pull-ups/push-ups/sit-ups/squats with different style tweaks mixed in with other targeted exercises. Then he added weights to add a bit more bulk. Proof is in the pudding... and he proved to me that nothing is necessary to make your body into a machine other than hard work. Quote from him that stuck with me: "If you can't lift your own body weight, why go blow money on machines. You just need to get off your a$$ and work hard." Continued with something bout like this... once you can move your own body just about however you want for as long as you want, you can go blow money or just find stuff to use like Rocky.
"Bureaucracy doesn’t rhyme with idiocy and lunacy for no reason, my friend." - AngusBangus 2014

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check
   Long Term - Whole lotta work to do, but growing every day.
Bandages - Almost to "comfortable minimum"
Brotherhood - Creating community one conversation at a time

Offline 802Shawn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 06:45:19 AM »
I am a big fan of Tabata's.
Off your ass and on your feet, out of the shade and in heat !

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline helix2301

• Survivor
  • techgeek and ham radio operator
    • The Technology Geek Podcast
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »
http://www.marklauren.com/

After ten years working local freight and cycling 90 miles a week, I was in decent shape for a truck driver. Then the economy dropped through the floor and I ended up a line driver, sitting on my butt 12-14 hours a night five and six nights a week. Fast-forward three years and I was horribly out of shape. I had all the flexibility of a coma patient and nearly as much aerobic capacity as a terminal emphysema sufferer. I had even lost my regular bid where I was getting home every morning and the company was sending me out for a week at a time, so I was staying in hotels and struggling at times to eat properly. I had an old Soloflex at home, but what good was that doing me six hundred miles away? I needed a workout I could do anywhere, it needed to be fairly short in duration and needed to have maximum impact. Oh, and it had to be something that could take me from coma patient to functionally fit.

Then I found Mark Lauren and his book "You Are Your Own Gym". (Mark's Bio) I checked out what people were saying online, I looked at his videos on youtube. I took a shot at trying to go at it from the book alone. I struggled, not sure I was setting up the program properly. I overreached my abilities, I got frustrated. I believed in his program, I just needed better guidance especially since I was at such a disadvantage.

Fast-forward a year, Mark came out with a video. "You Are Your Own Gym" on three dvds. One for the novice, one for intermediate, and one advanced.

I have been working on the novice for over sixteen weeks now. You may think to yourself, "Well, it must not work because he hasn't advanced." Not at all! As I said, I started in a big hole. Frankly, that I haven't injured out (I'm 48 years old and packin' a now-shrinking belly) is in itself testament to the level-headedness of his program. The novice program has challenged me for four months now. I'm getting to the point that, instead of merely being able to do the exercises and hoping to make it through, I'm starting to be able to focus more on how hard I can push. I hope to start the second disc probably the first of next year.

So what has sixteen weeks got me? Up two inches on my chest, down four inches on my belly, and down two inches where I wear my pants. I haven't measured my arms, but my biceps and triceps are looking much better. My wife says I'm getting my "bike legs" back too. 

I encourage anyone who has seen the P90X commercials and been tempted to try it, but felt that due to age or fitness level it just was too much--give Mark Lauren a good hard look. Check out his youtube videos. See what people say about his books. I really like that he's not a screamer, there is little hype. His approach is very much "stay in the game, rest if you have to but get in the game; keep showing up".

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkLauren2

This is very simalr to one of the programs I teach I like these kind of workouts dynamic resistance is a great thing. What is also nice is this kind of workout puts very little stress on joints making it easy for people who are out of shape or have injuries to do. Plus you can do them on the road if you travel a lot.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »
T 2.5 is my favorite ...2 and a half minutes of strenuous pulling and squeezing and I have my shoes on and I'm in shape
(round is a shape) ...plus I have about 50 pounds of food storage on board.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline helix2301

• Survivor
  • techgeek and ham radio operator
    • The Technology Geek Podcast
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »
T 2.5 is my favorite ...2 and a half minutes of strenuous pulling and squeezing and I have my shoes on and I'm in shape
(round is a shape) ...plus I have about 50 pounds of food storage on board.

Exercise is not for everyone. Everyone has a shape they like some people like round some people want look like Arnold when we was training for mr universe some what in between as long as you have a shape.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »
Exercise is not for everyone. Everyone has a shape they like some people like round some people want look like Arnold when we was training for mr universe some what in between as long as you have a shape.

I've been on TV for exercise programs often,perhaps you have seen me as "BEFORE"
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.