Author Topic: Eberlestock backpacks - any owners here?  (Read 14378 times)

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Eberlestock backpacks - any owners here?
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »
I searched the forum for Eberlestock phrase and only found fery few results. Seriously? With so many outdoorsmen and survivalists here, I'd expect more.
Right now I'm planning to buy an Eberlestock Warhammer backpack, which seems to be a perfect solution for all my luggage needs. I'd be very grateful for any informaton or field experience anyone has.
Yes, Eberlestock stuff is pretty expensive, but I'm tired of buying cheap packs, even more when they weren't actualy cheap.
I managed to sell off my recently bought Maxpedition Vulture (not bad quality, but it's so much smaller than it looks on photos), as well a some other stuff and suddenly I seem to have enough for the Warhammer and couple accessories. It would suck to get one, pay the international postage, pay the custom thieves fees and then find out it's not what I really expected.
I hope I won't be disappointed, but as I said, any infomation is welcome.

Be sure I'll bring some review once I have it and test it a little.
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
Re: Eberlestock backpacks - any owners here?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »
Too spendy for me, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about Eberlestock packs.  The knife forum I hang out on has a Halftrack Fan Club (no kidding - 20 pages of love for the HT).  Enjoy your pack!
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline raphterman

• Fledgling Prepper
Got them and love them
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
I bought a J107 Dragonfly in tactical for hunting and when I go overseas.  I used it fully expanded when I flew over there and once I settled in, I converted it back to the smaller size for day trips and overnighters.  Between that and a USMC seabag, those two bags contained my clothes, sleeping bag, sheets, body armor, etc for a 6 mos trip.   I put the Dragonfly in a big hockey gear bag so the airline gorillas wouldn't destroy it on sight.  Once at my destination I pulled it out and slung it on.  I didn't have a rifle in the back, but it was still comfortable with a full load (not really swaying back and forth). 

When I take it elk hunting in Colorado, it serves as my day pack and when I'm lucky enough to bag an elk,  it gets converted over to hauling duties.  It can haul anything you can strap to it or put inside.  Last year, I thought my spine would break with a rear quarter, front shoulder and burger meat stuffed inside of it but both me and the pack made it out (there were marmots and foxes in the area eyeballing the meat and I was determined to get out as much as I could).  Plus I tucked the rifle into the scabbard too so it was probably 90-100lbs for about a 1.5miles.  The pack is a brute. 

I also picked up a used G3 Phantom from a surplus store for about half off of retail.  The previous owner had cut off the top buckles and the pack was missing the rain fly and top scabbard cover.  I picked them up online and fixed it up so it's back to full working order.  I use this one as my BOB and work bag now and then.  I have it loaded to the gills and it's comfy to move around in. 

As for gripes, on the Phantom the side pouches are a little small for 3L bladders but I've played around with some different bladders to get a good matching fit.  On both packs the side half pouches for water bottles are a little short for Nalgene bottles.  They'll fit but I'd dummy cord them to the side MOLLE straps in case they pop out.  Most of the water I've packed is in the internal pouches.  Other than that they have a ton of room and can be modified a bit with extra pouches etc.  If you got anything else please hit me up.

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »
I searched the forum for Eberlestock phrase and only found fery few results. Seriously? With so many outdoorsmen and survivalists here, I'd expect more.

I found 29 results when doing a word search for "eberlestock".  With multiple comments on each.

I have the G2H (Gunslinger II - Hunter) and I love it and thinking seriously about adding the Phantom.  I did my first elk hunt last season with my G2H and was kicking myself for not buying one sooner.  The scabbard worked flawlessly.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »
29 isn't that much :) Actualy it's odd, I found like five or six...well, nevermind.

Glad to hear all the positive comments. Looks like there's no need to be afraid of quylity issues (didn't really expect any) and as for practical use of the model I want, guess I'll have to trust myself. I was looking at the Dragonfly as well, but Warhammer still seems a little better for my needs.
IF ANYONE SAW IT AVAILABLE FOR GOOD PRICE (means less than $299) PLEASE TELL ME. Even if the seller won't offer international shipping, I have friends who would forward it to me. I'm watching ebay for a used one, but no luck so far. Looks like the owners are sure to keep it, once they buy it :)
How about the rifle scabbards? The one for "tactical weapon" they list is way too expensive (compared to the other models), but I hoped that an AK, Saiga or vz.58 without magazine (or with just a short one) might fit in one of the narrow models. Any experience?

nelson96

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:37:48 AM »
For tactical weapons, stay away from the packs that have the smaller scabbards.  My G2 has a fairly large scabbard that is not detachable and my LR-308 and AR15 both fit in them fine.  I've been looking at the Phantom because it's a larger pack and the scabbard is a detachable drag bag.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
The Warhammer pack I want has no scabbard, but is compatible with any of them, so I'd like to know which one should I choose.
By now, I have some cheap airsoft-grade shotgun scabbard, whih is actualy too tight even for a shotgun with a sall flshlight and AFG2 grip on the bottom of the forearm.

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
The Warhammer pack I want has no scabbard, but is compatible with any of them, so I'd like to know which one should I choose.
By now, I have some cheap airsoft-grade shotgun scabbard, whih is actualy too tight even for a shotgun with a sall flshlight and AFG2 grip on the bottom of the forearm.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Warhammer pack so I can't help you much there.  If you are able to integrate a scabbard to it I would try and find out if the scabbard that comes with the Phantom pack (or something similar in size) will intigrate to the Warhammer.  That scabbard would definately be big enough to accomodate most rifles.

Offline raphterman

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »
The A4SS Tactical Weapon Scabbard is the widest one they make and has the GSTC Butt cover to go with it.  That's the equivalent of what's on my Phantom and it goes the full width of the pack. 

From what I can tell the A2LS/A2SS matches up to what's on the Dragonfly and that's about half the width of the pack.  It marries up with their JSTC Butt cover.  It can do scoped bolt actions fine, and other non-pistol gripped long guns.

I'd say go bigger.  From the looks of integrating it into the Warhammer, unless you have critical space designated for the other half of the MOLLE straps, the A4SS should fit all loads and still accommodate extra stuff you add onto the outside of the scabbard. 

If you do add on the scabbard and try to close up the pack, the only thing holding the two halves together is the outside compression straps right?  I'd just be wary if the two halves are loaded up would they sag a bit if you tried to compress them together.

nelson96

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »
I can get my scoped (with extended turrets) LR-308 in and out of the scabbard integrated with my G2H pack.  My rifle includes a pistol grip and a bi-pod.  It also works just fine with a 20-round mag inserted in the rifle.  I believe that scabbard is not as big as the one included with the Phantom pack.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »
Ok, first of all sorry for my terrible typing above, my laptop passed out and now I'm using my old one, with it's crappy keyboard.

Problem is, I have no chance to go and try the fit around here, as Eberlestock bags are really rare here in CZ.
Maybe I'll really get the Tactical weapon scabbard in the end. Pricey, but permanent solution for all guns I have. Plus it looks like I would be able to fit in my Barnett Rhino crossbow with bow detached.
Or I could contact Eberlestock and ask for exact measures of the scabbards.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 02:40:59 AM »
Quick update: I ordered the Warhammer pack today. Can't wait to get it. By now I only bought the basic pack, I'll see about some accessories later. Hope to give it some outdoor testing over the winter holidays, so stay tuned for my review.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 05:12:48 AM »
I don't own one, but cannot ever recall hearing anything bad about any of their packs. A call to eberlstock customer service should get you some answers as to which scabbard would best fit your needs.

It took several posts for me to remember you are in Europe. The czech republic is turning out some amazing rifles. My CZ 550 Safari magnum is one of the nicest production grade rifles I have ever seen.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »
I think the "Tactical weapon" scabbard will be the way to go, I just can't afford it now, the bag itself was expensive enough for me.

Glad you like the Safari Magnum, I never shot one. I'm more into military style rifles.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 03:17:14 AM »
Allright, just got the package couple minutes ago and unpacked my new Warhammer bag!
I think I'm gonna love this thing! Looks very well made and every detail shows that someone was actualy thinking when he designed it. Will try to load all my outdoor gear and see how it fits.
The side pockets (which are also the main stand-alone storage compartment of the bag) are really big, bigger than they seem to. One of them should easily hold 3-day supply of food for your trip (sure, depends on what you eat and how much). I guess the pocket should also be big enough to hold some short, folding-stock rifles, such as AKSU74. I'll check it out when I get home, don't have the AK on me. The bind-together /compression straps and flaps seem strong enough to effectively hold the whole load together when you split the bag's middle zipper and fill the "load bay". They will also help to keep on any other gear you may need to add - rope, axe, field shovel, machete, rolled sleeping pad...
While the bag has lot of MOLLE webbing on it, you may be at first surprised that there's none on large part of the sides. But then you realize that first, the sides will move when the load bay is opened, becoming more like back than side. Second, the side compartments have both top and side zipper access, so it wouldn't be very smart to attach pouches over the zipping area.
I like the zipper loops for easy handling, which seem very simple and durable. Can't say much about the carry system itself yet, as I didn't adjust it yet to my body (and haven't carried anything in it yet, either). It looks comfortable though. I like the idea of using Alice frame as tha bag's core, it makes a nice sturdy platform for all the other things on it. No matter what you load and strap on it, the load won't protrude through the back area, deforming the contact zone with bearer's body.
The load bay is really generously sized, will hold plenty of gear. More depends on you, what you manage to lift and carry. A 1200pcs crate of 7,62x39 ammo shoud fit well.
The good thing is, once you don't need to have a huge bag, you can simply zip the sides together again, tighten the compression straps and it turns into an anonymous daypack.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
I tried to load the bag with my survival gear - everything fits fine, about 7days supply of food (could pack less to save room/weight, but it's good to know I can have that much), 2canteens, sleeping bag, 3-yard tarp, sleeping pad, light wool blanket, extra clothes, couple tools, cooking cup, space blanket, trench shovel, poncho, various small survival stuff...
The harness fits well, a little unusual but well. Doesn't mess with chest rig and rifle sling.

I also tried to load an ammo crate as I suggested above and it fits well, carries well on your back. 1200 rounds of 7,62x39, 28kg.
The pockets are big enough to hide my AKSU or a short vz.58, both with stock folded.

Ammo packed:

Unpacked:

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 04:12:50 AM »
Update: still loving the Warhammer pack. Getting a rifle scabbard and additional duffelbag/load compartment accessories for it as Christmas gifts from family.
Planning to do some winter trip with it, fully loaded. Expect pics and further updates.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 04:53:32 AM »
I have one after several buddies said how awesome they are, I don't know the model of mine but I use it as a day pack/range bag/everything bag with the rifle all the time and I could pack anything I need onto it for several days.
"I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
6.8 SPC 44 percent more energy then the 556 in the same package...
https://www.facebook.com/Hoarfrostfarms
http://www.ar15performance.com/
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 07:05:41 AM »
Well, no snow here so far, means no winter trip and pics yet.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 03:18:26 AM »
Just some pics of the Eberlestock Warhammer loaded for my bugout trip last weekend. As you can see, I mainly utilized the large side pockets and only attached couple larger items to the middle loading bay (shotgun, tarp, sleeping pad...). I could still add to the bay itself, plus attach the Super spike duffel bag, either to the loading bay's base, or even on the outer edge of it, making the duffel bag stick out. The Warhammer really can handle large loads if needed. On the other hand, once I've set my camp - emptying the loading bay -  I could fold the sides in and use the straps to compress it all small and snug. Awesome bag indeed. You just need to get used to the fact that you don't have the large bag of stuff anymore, each item has it's place now and you need to keep the items at the same spot in it and understand your straps and flaps, otherwise it can drive you crazy. Once you learn to use it, it's great.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 04:45:27 AM »
Here it is packed in a different way, using the optional duffel bag as main pack compartment. All packed for the honeymoon! (actualy just got back from it couple days ago). 14" pump fits nicely into the pack, I had a molle scabbard for it, strapped to the "loading bay" under the duffel. Worked well. The one thing I'd complain after this trip is, the shoulder straps could be a bit wider and their padding could go a bit lower, towards the armpits. Under heavy loads, the straps feel pretty sharp there.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
Just in case someone was planning to get this bag  - I've noticed that Eberlestock is discontinuing production of the Alice frame based model, they now have some proprietary metal frame in them. However, they still offer the Alice frame version by now, even somewhat cheaper I think. Just thought I'll let you know.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
A little late now, but I have the G4 Operator from Eberlestock and it's extremely well made. I think I could carry a medium size anvil in it and it would still be completely comfortable. I'm pretty sure the pack would survive it just fine too.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
The Operator was one of the bags in my final choice (along with Terminator, Jackhammer and Halftrack), but I went with the Warhammer in the end and don't regret. Just wish the Eberlestock bags were a little bit more affordable - you certainly get quality for your money, no doubt, but I bet they could lower the price a little.

Offline mootz

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »
I just got a J34 (Just One) pack for a recent hunting trip.  I realize the post mentions other packs, but I can only opine to my J34.  I own a Lowe and (2) Kelty backpacks for reference.  The J34 blows away my other packs in terms comfort and features, but it is heavy by backpacking standards; however, the pack is designed to pack out meat as well as your equipment.  I really like the duffle bag concept (inserting a duffle bag inside the main compartment) which made packing out easier, but that added weight.  The offset to that is the organization of your equipment, going from packing everything (camping stuff) to the daypack mode (hunting mode).  The materials, stitching and adjustability was great.  The only possible downside is that there are a lot of exposed zippers.  If you put the pack on the ground a lot, that gets debris into the zippers, helping them to fail.  At this point, the J34 would be my BOB because I know it could handle the weight.  In fact, if it was fully loaded, I probably would falter before it would.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 10:52:30 PM »
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread or not(been a while since I read all of it), but Eberlestock actually has two different lines of packs. There are the hunters packs and then the military grade packs. The only difference that I'm aware of between the two is the materials. The hunting packs are made of lighter, and softer, fabrics than the military grade packs.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle