Author Topic: Where to get canning jars  (Read 19784 times)

Offline Welshrats

• Prepper
Re: Where to get canning jars
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
I've used Tattler lids for a few years (3-5?) and use them for water bath and pressure canning.

I had some issues with sealing when I first started, but once I read and followed the directions my sealing problems stopped.

The Tattler home page links to a video that describes proper usage of their lids.

Tattler has sample pack of 2 wide mouth, and 2 regular mouth lids for $2.50 and free shipping http://shop.reusablecanninglids.com/Sample-2-lids-each-size-Limit-1-Per-Customer-Sample.htm. This might be a cheap way to determine if the lids will work for you.

One area that tattler lids don't work well is vacuum sealing. As an experiment I vacuumed sealed 6 empty pint jars with tattler lids and 6 pint jars with regular lids. Some of the tattler lids failed in a couple of days and all failed within 1 year. All of the regular lids held their vacuum.

I have no association with Tattler other than as a customer.

Offline wdenton07

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 09:17:51 AM »
For me I usually get them at rummage sales or at Auctions.
I have had really good luck getting them for a buck or 2 a box

The only caveat is that I definitely have to wash them since they have usually been in somones barn, basement or garage for years before I get them.

I am also thinking about switching to the tattler lids

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 12:49:06 PM »
just keep an eye open for gifts along the way.
picked up 6 cases of wide mouth Quart Ball Mason jars at the curb [5 new,un opened cases] on trash and treasures day.
neighbor brought over 40  1/2 jelly jars he was going to toss [he is on the Bakery list now].

ya just never know what will end up in your hands at any given time  ;D

SnoHam13
DoDaUPEh

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »
There is one particular thrift store a ways north of me that always seems to have jars. I picked up a dozen half-pint jars a couple weeks ago for 0.25-0.50 cents each. Homemade jelly sure is good, but a pint is a lot to go through when there's only two people eating it ;D

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
There is one particular thrift store a ways north of me that always seems to have jars. I picked up a dozen half-pint jars a couple weeks ago for 0.25-0.50 cents each. Homemade jelly sure is good, but a pint is a lot to go through when there's only two people eating it ;D

Na, just gota put it on twice as heavy that's all ;D

SnoHam13
DoDaUPEh

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »
Tattler sells in bulk, but having never used them hate to put the $ out for them until I try.

For what it is worth, I use tattler lids and they work great. The only issue that I find is that I am less likely to give food to friends and relatives, because I don't want to give away the lids. So we still use metal lids in addition to our tattler lids for others.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »

For what it is worth, I use tattler lids and they work great. The only issue that I find is that I am less likely to give food to friends and relatives, because I don't want to give away the lids. So we still use metal lids in addition to our tattler lids for others.

Ooooh good point. Never thought about that.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »

i find my self doing this also... i hate to give away the tattlers

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
My family is actually pretty good surprisingly. Even the normal canning jars with metal lids, they give back to me when the jar is empty. So I MIGHT trust them with the Tattler lids.

Cedar ZombieGal
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline threebarracing

• Prepper
    • Hank's Holster Review
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
I've used Ace Hardware a LOT.  Assuming that you have one near you, you can order online and they will deliver them to the local store.  That way, you don't have to pay shipping, but you DO need to pay sales tax (boo).  Also, the risk of breakage is put upon the store, not you.  If you watch for sales, you can order a ton when the time is right.  However, I don't suggest planning to buy sale items at the last minute, as they sometimes run out.  Especially with the big half gallon ones.
Darren Dawes
(aka "Hank")

http://hanks-holster-review.com
Hank's Holster Review.  Please take my holsters, but not my guns!

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »
I doubled our jars this year. Up to about 600 I guess. I'd like to double again.

I buy at flea markets, usually .50 a jar used. Garage sales, etc.

We use mayo jars also. Usually for tomatoes when we hot pack, not pressure cook. Mayo jars are no longer available in the stores I guess. They are all plastic now, no glass.

Got a bargain on new jars at Dollar Store in August. They had all jars on sale. We had 6 different cases in the cart and they rang up half price. Woohoo. That weekend was 50% off on canning supplies and we didn't realize it when we went in. We should have went out and emptied the cart and went back in and loaded up again, but the budget was getting short.

I watch amazon for lid deals. I've been buying bulk when the price is right.

We also found an amish store about 50 mile away that has good deals on jars and lids. $3.50 for a case of 1/2 pints (jars only, no lids-bands).
Bulk lids in a big long single package. Don't remember the price.

Great prices on some food/grain items. 50# bag popcorn for $27.00.

Yea popcorn is cheaper to buy than dent corn for grinding into cornmeal.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »
Well I had an awesome haul today. Almost 100 jars. Free. Wut wut.
Had to dump about 3/4 of them, but all good jars. These were my MIL's. Food had went bad. She no longer cans.
About 1/2 pint and 1/2 quart jars with about 12 jelly jars.

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2016, 09:18:57 PM »
Any more jars on sale anywhere?

Post waaayy up above with the 2 links for jars, that second link had some great prices. I didn't check shipping though

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 08:09:21 AM »
Scored another mixture of used jars 2 days ago at my usual stop. Lots of wide mouth this time.
Gal running the place has finally learned me. She put them on a special shelf for me.
Came home with 47 jars. $23.00
She also had 3 of those tall (gallon?) Vlasic pickle jars with lids. $1.25 each so I took those.
Figured I can either use for water, or for dry storage items.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 04:26:10 PM »
Heads up.
Walmart has a special buy on Ball jars. 2 cases (they call em bundles) for 18.98 (24 jars)

Anything over $50.00 and shipping is free.
I just ordered 4 bundles.

With a little tax, that's about .80 a jar with lid and band

http://www.walmart.com/ip/46148696

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »
Heads up.
Walmart has a special buy on Ball jars. 2 cases (they call em bundles) for 18.98 (24 jars)  -  that's about .80 a jar with lid and band

http://www.walmart.com/ip/46148696

Thanks for sharing.  I know many of you here get your jars at thrift stores and yard sales or Craig's List for bargain prices but here is So. Calif. they are impossible to find at either.  I think it's a combination of people here not being the type to can their own food and the fact that the market for used  products of any type, is hyper-competitive.
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2016, 05:31:15 PM »
Yes I've just about determined that in some areas, you will not find any jars, unless it's the colored ones and they are in an antique store, with a ten dollar price tag.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I know many of you here get your jars at thrift stores and yard sales or Craig's List for bargain prices but here is So. Calif. they are impossible to find at either.  I think it's a combination of people here not being the type to can their own food and the fact that the market for used  products of any type, is hyper-competitive.

Look for old people.  Seriously.  No one under 60 in a suburban area is likely to be selling old jars. 

Last spring I got some at a local yard sale.  The man was a widower in his late 70s, and I got a few dozen jars for $10.
Only problem is a few of them cracked when I was pressure canning.  did some research and learned this can happen with very old jars (some were at least 25 years old by my estimation).

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »
Any of you have a good argument for using narrow mouth jars?  The last few years I have been exclusively adding to my collection with only wide mouth.  So much easier to load and CLEAN.  Someone once tried to explain to me that the narrow mouth have a better chance in keeping a seal, with the less surface are and all.  I'd like to see a study that offers a percent difference on that, because I don't see a measurable difference in my experience.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
Any of you have a good argument for using narrow mouth jars?  The last few years I have been exclusively adding to my collection with only wide mouth.  So much easier to load and CLEAN.  Someone once tried to explain to me that the narrow mouth have a better chance in keeping a seal, with the less surface are and all.  I'd like to see a study that offers a percent difference on that, because I don't see a measurable difference in my experience.

the lids are way less expensive. I mostly use narrow mouth jars. I do use wide mouth quarts for pie filling, as pie filling is hard to get out.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
Regular mouth, if they are cheap or are on sale (awesome price) we will buy them. Otherwise, if we buy new because we need jars *now*, we buy wide mouth.