Author Topic: One Year Later, Hurricane Sandy "victims" still Waiting  (Read 2033 times)

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
One Year Later, Hurricane Sandy "victims" still Waiting
« on: October 29, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
I have seen several news articles in the media and features on Accuweather.com about how Hurricane Sandy "victims" are still waiting for help.  I mean it has only been a year, how long do they plan to wait?  How did Americans get so helpless? 

nelson96

Re: One Year Later, Hurricane Sandy "victims" still Waiting
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
I heard the media say something about the fact that many of these people are getting the money but still living in motels because they say the amount of money they got isn't worth rebuilding.  Hmmm.

They choose to live right on the coast where storms can create a hardship and they chose the quality and type of insurance coverage.  Damnit Obama, where's their handout?  We should be protecting them from their own independence.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:19:47 AM »
A lot of them want NY state to buy their houses at pre-Sandy prices.

The state has made offers to a bunch of people.
There have been some news article locally about this.

We looked at a couple of homes years ago that were near the water on the south shore of the island.
As nice as they were, I told my wife one good storm and it's over and the cost of insurance to cover what would be needed would have been too high. People just didn't think about it.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
/sarcasm

So, these "rich" white liberals whose lives have been destroyed by a hurricane are whining that their homes, etc have not been fixed a year after the storm.  I am sure they were among the most vocal crying that the reason New Orleans has not been fixed is because of racism against poor black folks.  Maybe it is not racism - maybe it is expecting .gov to fix everything instead of fixing it yourself.
/sarcasm off

There have been places at least as devastated as NO and NY since then - Joplin, for example - that have rebuilt already.  Joplin did it without the help of .gov; they came out of their storm shelters and started cleaning up, helping neighbors, and generally having a plan before FEMA even rolled in.
I am sorry - any time you wait on the government to do anything, you will be waiting a long time.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
Most people are waiting for one reason or another. Some is the fault of the gov't some is not.
Most are debates about what caused the damage, Yes the house flooded but the sand also shifted and the house collapsed. Insurance, were not paying on that.
There not giving me enough money so I'll just let it sit.

The state could not make up there minds on the flood height map adjustments, so many people could net get a permit to even start working.

I know someone that has a second house down there, after the flood his house sat in to different elevation planes.
Half his house had to be raised 2' the other half 12'. He did not raise it at all. He did the math and it was not cost effective.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »
NY and NJ residents already rewarded Christie and Obama with a hearty Job Well Done so they are now off the radar. How's that view under the bus?

Never-retreat's friend who decided not to rebuild in the same spot is one of the smart ones.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »
NY and NJ residents already rewarded Christie and Obama with a hearty Job Well Done so they are now off the radar. How's that view under the bus?

Never-retreat's friend who decided not to rebuild in the same spot is one of the smart ones.
Not quite, he patched the house back up and is using it without raising it.
Its a summer home.  I think he said he was in for 20 grand repairing it.
It has not flooded since the 50's according to his parents, the prior owners.