Author Topic: Fuel Preservation Methods and Information An Overview  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
Re: Fuel Preservation Methods and Information An Overview
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »
Been a while since I posted, but I just found something that I think everyone might want to keep in mind.

I decided to get a silicone bottle to store some Zippo fuel in - silicone, by and large, is fuel and solvent resistant, and I've used it in fuel lines for YEARS in model aircraft with both gasoline and alcohol engines with no problems.

I filled the bottle, squeezed it so there was no air in it, and then closed the snap lid.

The polyethylene lid was perfectly fine the next morning, but the bottle was empty, and there was no air in it. I also noticed the bottle's wall thickness had approximately tripled.

The silicone absorbed the fuel, which has subsequently evaporated out of the silicone, leaving none inside the bottle to speak of, and the bottle, after three days, has only just now returned to close to original size such that I could reattach the cap retainer around the neck of the silicone bottle (i disassembled the whole thing for inspection when I realized what had happened).

REALLY weird. So becareful when storing hydrocarbon fuels in nonstandard containers for camping and firestarting purposes. I think I'll stick to metal from now on.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Fuel Preservation Methods and Information An Overview
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »
411man...
check the links, two of them are crippled