Author Topic: safe room and emp protection  (Read 3265 times)

Offline cherith

• Prepper
safe room and emp protection
« on: October 02, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
Suppose I had an above ground hidden safe room and it had 8 inch thick concrete/rebar walls and ceiling, steel door.  And I had various electronics in the safe room, would they need invidual faraday cage protection or does the the concrete thickness provide protection? 

Also, anyone thought of how to protect electronic gun safe lock?

Offline skas

• Survivor
Re: safe room and emp protection
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
I think Steve Harris was right when he said (paraphrasing), 'once you go down the EMP path, forever shall you remain on it'.

That said, if I were going to go to all that trouble, I'd probably make it a giant faraday cage.  Best protection for an electronic gun safe? Sell it and buy a mechanical gun safe :)

Offline cherith

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
I think I'll reduce the amount of electronics I care about and that should simply the issue.  And I might burying my head in the sand but I am going to consider my gun safe getting fried an extremely low probability event instead of turning a dial the rest of my life.  ;)

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »
I think I'll reduce the amount of electronics I care about and that should simply the issue.  And I might burying my head in the sand but I am going to consider my gun safe getting fried an extremely low probability event instead of turning a dial the rest of my life.  ;)

But if you are wrong, it could be deadly!  Is turning a dial really that difficult?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 08:19:03 AM »
But if you are wrong, it could be deadly!  Is turning a dial really that difficult?

I think you've hit the point here.  If there's a vulnerability that can be trivially avoided, it is wise to do so.

I think Steve Harris was right when he said (paraphrasing), 'once you go down the EMP path, forever shall you remain on it'.

Yes and no.  Taking on a multi-thousand dollar EMP room construction project while neglecting other less costly preps for more probable events would be foolish.  But wrapping a a few key spare electronics (radio, solar controller, etc.) in a few layers of bubble wrap and aluminum foil and stuffing them in the bottom of a small galvanized trash can can be done for under twenty bucks.  Depending on your take on the matter, $20 may be a reasonable amount to spend.

In a way however, I do agree with Steven Harris's statement.  Going down any path to excess is a bad choice, especially when it comes at the price of neglecting other parts of the overall picture.  The EMP threat really gets under some people's skin, and there's a lot of hysteria in some corners.  It's kind of like going all-in or all-out on precious metals: some people turn into goldbugs, and some others stomp around like it's unpatriotic to have any PM's because it show a lack of faith in the US dollar.  But there is a broad happy middle ground where you buy just enough for insurance, and then there's money left over for other matters.  I'll take the cheap end of a broad happy middle ground any day.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »
+1

Is EMP protection actually a main concern for you?  If it is, then do the research and do it right. 

But for me, EMP protection is WAY down the list of possible situations that will affect me and my family.  It is a potentially very expensive solution, and I feel my money and time is used more effectively elsewhere.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 11:06:33 PM »
Cherith,

The concrete and steel safe room should attenuate several dB of EMP RF.  Wrapping electronics in insulation, then heavy foil, then insulation again, will generally attenuate about 20 dB (more).  FWIW, the government standard for EMP bunker shielding is 100  dB attenuation. 

The dB scale is logarithmic, a 100 dB reduction requires enough shielding to bring the power level to
.000 000 000 1 of the power present outside the shielding.

EMP, being extremely high power full spectrum RF, can literally travel between the threads of a bolt and nut.  So, while it might be prudent to do the foil wrap thingie, it would be rather extreme to shoot for mil spec EMP shielding.

~TG

Offline caduckgunner

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Suburban Prepper
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:56:23 AM »

That said, if I were going to go to all that trouble, I'd probably make it a giant faraday cage.  Best protection for an electronic gun safe? Sell it and buy a mechanical gun safe :)

Or just have a locksmith change the lock to a mechanical one....